JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am planning a road trip from Wahington, down through part of California. I have both WA and OR non-resident CPLs. What do I have to be aware of when traveling into California? Firearm unloaded and seperated from ammo? Also, I imagine I would need to make sure that the gun is Cali approved?

Thanks for any input.

To my knowledge, CA doesn't acknowledge either WA or OR CHLs. Yes, you should keep your firearm unloaded, ammo separate, preferably not even in magazines. Also, it should be in a locked compartment, such as a trunk, separate from the driver/passenger part of the vehicle, if at all possible.

Personally, I prefer to stay out of CA altogether, precisely because I don't want to deal with this kind of hassle. Their laws are totally messed up.

I can see the reasoning for that. Now, what about the gun itself? I would be taking a Kimber Ultra, but if there's any chance that this particular model is not Cali approved, then I can take a Sig with 10 rounders.

I travel to California a lot, especially now I am in Southern Oregon I travel to california more often. When I go pass the check point enter california I go to the first rest area on right at siskisyou and unload my gun put my gun in my suitcase and my loaded magazines on the side of my trunk that I am easily access to. I have to remember where to put my gun at and at long it's in the trunk of my car then I feel safe. I got pulled over a few times and got 2 speeding tickets, 1 warning ticket for my gps on the center of my windshield (in california the gps have to be on the right side or left side of the windshield not on the center). All 3 times encountered law enforments and they asked if I have any weapons with me.... I ignored the question and said "You have a very nice day too officers"

I travel to California a lot, especially now I am in Southern Oregon I travel to california more often. When I go pass the check point enter california I go to the first rest area on right at siskisyou and unload my gun put my gun in my suitcase and my loaded magazines on the side of my trunk that I am easily access to. I have to remember where to put my gun at and at long it's in the trunk of my car then I feel safe. I got pulled over a few times and got 2 speeding tickets, 1 warning ticket for my gps on the center of my windshield (in california the gps have to be on the right side or left side of the windshield not on the center). All 3 times encountered law enforments and they asked if I have any weapons with me.... I ignored the question and said "You have a very nice day too officers"

They asked me about weapons after a number of questions about drugs including if I had marijuana, a marijuana medical card and the like. Right before he gave me a warning he asked if I had any "guns, weapons or anything else I should know about". I ignored this question because I had a pistol locked away in the back. I'm pretty sure it was legal as the ammo was separated and the pistol was locked away in the back of the SUV including a cage separating it from the passenger area. I didn't want the guy rummaging through my stuff or arresting me if our interpretations of the law differed.

Last Edited:
I used to go to california but I won't go there today. California does have the old 10 round max magzine restriction still but other then that I can't see your handgun being cali illegal. Be careful down there. Personally I think I'd take a siaga shotgun. If you have to find load etc. in a hurry why not pack more fire power. Though I have no idea if a Saiga Shotgun is legal down there nor whether or not you have one.

...Personally I think I'd take a siaga shotgun. If you have to find load etc. in a hurry why not pack more fire power. Though I have no idea if a Saiga Shotgun is legal down there nor whether or not you have one.

just going on a road trip in my pickup... I don't plan on making it far into California, but I want my carry gun for WA and OR. I don't own a Saiga, and I'm not taking my AR either... I don't wanna look any guiltier than I already do, if I were to get pulled over.:D

I will have it in Cali as well, my question is, is it legal to carry it in my vehicle, loaded or unloaded, without a California CPL?

Here is your best bet: http://www.calguns.net/
They'll give you the straight scoop.

While your at it, I would suggest you ask if the firearms you'll have with you are okay to bring into the state. Although born in Portland, OR, I was raised in Cali. I moved up here in 1981, just about the time the gun laws were starting to get really squirrelly.

By the way, how did you manage a nonresident permit for Oregon? I would love to get one. :s0155:

Agree with Judicator. Went to the Redwoods last fall. Stopped a mile short of the Cali border...gun went in case in trunk and ammo went in glove box. Reversed the procedure after crossing back into Oregon.

I've made a couple of trips down there recently.

Don't worry about whether the firearms are "California Legal" - that only applies if you plan on transferring the, as long as you are an out-of-state resident. There is some kinda federal law about it.

Stop at the OryGun/Ca border and put the unloaded guns and the ammo in the trunk, or if'n yer in a pick-up, not readily accessible, behind the seat.

Don't forget, the Policemen STILL must have probable cause or a warrant to search your vehicle.

Speeding is NOT probable cause.

Gimme a hollar on the way through & I'll pour some coffee or beer on ya.

503-864-2453

Doug

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top