JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If you are carrying your LC9 and it is what you have practiced with and are confident with having concealed I would no change it up. Nobody could answer when to act or let it continue for a shot. The only thing I can say is if you act like a fool and just start praying and spraying it will probably be no good against a rifle that really only needs to be pointed to hit you even with a novice at the trigger at that distance. Carry your LC9 if that is what feels good to you. All I could ever say is that it is my opinion that one should practice as much as they can no matter their gun of choice. I carry my PPK sometimes and I can shoot it well enough that I am confident with it in my waistband but I shoot it a lot to be confident in it. All I mean by my statements is there are a lot of young CCW holders that think that owning a gun makes them Rambo...My guess is Rambo had a little range practice...

If, if, if.

If gramma had balls, she would've been grandpa.

That's what if gets you. Sorry to point that out, but seems to be a popular phrase in a lot of these posts.

I don't know. It was all over in a minute, and while I can appreciate that a minute can be a very long time, I think it really would take about that to react. In which case its essentially over.

Does it really matter that the gun was stolen?

Sorry for asking unpopular questions, or pointing out
(Possible)obvious things, but so far it seems like the kid didn't have a record, and therefore would have been able to buy a gun same day, legally.
(Correct me if I'm wrong, oh wait, I forgot where I was posting ;))

I guess what I'm trying to get across, is its a tragedy.

So what if "antis" are using this for ammunition to control gun ownership.
I seriously doubt the bill introduced by ginny whoever will go anywhere.

When you right down to it, they want what most gun owners want too.

Which is to live in peace without fear of violence.

If you are carrying your LC9 and it is what you have practiced with and are confident with having concealed I would no change it up. Nobody could answer when to act or let it continue for a shot. The only thing I can say is if you act like a fool and just start praying and spraying it will probably be no good against a rifle that really only needs to be pointed to hit you even with a novice at the trigger at that distance. Carry your LC9 if that is what feels good to you. All I could ever say is that it is my opinion that one should practice as much as they can no matter their gun of choice. I carry my PPK sometimes and I can shoot it well enough that I am confident with it in my waistband but I shoot it a lot to be confident in it. All I mean by my statements is there are a lot of young CCW holders that think that owning a gun makes them Rambo...My guess is Rambo had a little range practice...
Yep, I agree. I shoot often with my M&P so that I can hit what I need to when it is important to do so. I do want to get some other training including moving while shooting but have to try to build up the funds to be able to do that. But I am confident that I could hit a white hockey mask from at least the 50 foot mark if necessary.

The closest thing I have to training for this situation is being on a tournament paintball team for several years and going through 2500 rounds a day a couple days a week. The targets were always moving and shooting back, and there wasn't time to use sights. I have no illusions that it's anything like a real firefight, but I notice the LEOs use it, so it can't be too far fetched as practice for this type of situation.

its great training, and most heavy training comes to sense after so many repetitions in the time of need. But the shock or unfamiliar realization of actual bullets flying past your body, can and will block mental thoughts..... hopefully you trained and repeated real life situations enough for that memory and muscle memory to take control.

Instead of the usual BS; let's consider the real problem here. We have so much "freedom of choice" in this country that it is near impossible to get mental health care for someone who needs it.
This boy was at the prime age for a "Psychotic Break" and he had symptoms for the last 6 months. We all need to become as educated as possible about the signs of trouble. My wife said: "If he was in my family he would have been hauled to a Psychiatrist months ago". Granted, my wife's family has a lot of nut cases and they are well off.;) Honest, it makes a huge difference!

If a poor boy needs a psychiatrist; he has to break the law, they he has to be a danger to himself or others. A good police officer can be a blessing as long as YOU are rational, (which is not easy sometimes) The mentally ill person will be agitated and so will everyone in the area. A good police officer can evaluate the situation; " Were you trying to get your son under control?" Yes sir. This is where you shut up and let them help you.

The first time my son went off; he was thrown in jail in Ukiah, Ca. In court, I thanked the Sheriffs for not shooting him.
The second time my son went off; I slugged him, got pounded in the ensuing fight, but, my son did time in the State Hospital and is now living a happy life.

We need to be ready to help our relatives, friends, fellow gun owners. If a guy starts to change radically and it just don't feel right, call county mental health, call the cops, Hang on and hang in. We could stop the next one.

Michaels, The point of the gun being stolen when I state it is not that the kid cannot get another it is that he was likely not as skilled with the gun as he may be had it been his and been practiced with. IF IF IF...If you have a carry permit and cannot react in less than a minute then you do not belong with a firearm concealed on your person. Training is something many people just do not get when they go out an apply for a license to carry a pistol. There is nothing more important that muscle memory and more training. Everything like this happens in under a minute on average. If you want to be a guy with a gun just because it comforts you then great...run when your neighbors and fellow citizens have no way to protect themselves and you feel your gun on your hip but believe you could not get to it and draw fire from women and children in under a minutes time....You should be capable and practiced to have your gun out and trained on a threat in seconds or less...practiced and more practiced. drawing, aiming, shooting. Otherwise why do you carry if you are unwilling to stand up for helpless women and children.
I carry my firearm to be able to react to a situation when the police are not present and protect the people around me. I do not carry a gun because I want people to be scared of me when they find out I carry a gun around. As stated before, my wife and cousin who I shoot with are the only people who even know there is a gun on my person most of the time. I do however practice with it on a regular basis but I guess a lot of people skipped that part of fire arms training. Practice drawing, dry firing, and shooting.
Access Bob I agree that I need more practice while moving as well. We all need more practice. I carry the same weopon as you as well and believe it to be as good if not better at under 500 dollars than many 1000 dollar 1911s. The point again is just that if you decide you are going to carry a gun then I believe you should also decide you have a responsability to be able to use said gun as well as you possibly can.
I think there are too many cowards in the world that carry a gun to protect themselves in their mind. It is a given that you want to be able to protect yourself but what about your fellow man who is unable to defend himself/herself, children and so on. There are not enough men and women in this world left who will stick their neck out for a room full of strangers just because it is the right thing to do. I do not care what you carry so long as you do your best to learn to use it. A gun is a tool. and as with most powerful tools it takes a lot of experience and training to be good and fast with it. Hopefully more people will look at their tools as more than a means to protect their wallet and look up when they hear something wrong happening rather than walking by pretending they do not notice or do not care.

A crowded mall, something surreal and most likely happening not to close ...

Yeah, it would take a little bit to process that info.

Unless you always, always, always think about mall shootings, in which case I would question your (generic you, not you) sanity.

As someone already pointed out here, no one was carrying at clackamas towncenter?

I too find that hard to believe.

And just to give a tip to the prepared for a gunfight crowd.
In all of your training, take the time to practice actually hitting the Target.......

It is bad that the shooting/murders happened. It's bad that these types of things happen, but they do happen. They happen anywhere and can happen at anytime. It will happen again someday, sometime, but probably somewhere different the next time. Who knows?

Actually, no, it only seems to happen in Gun-Free-Zones. My wife said yesterday, "I'll bet you're never going there again unless you have your pistol with you." And she's right.

If you are nowhere near the shooting then that would not be what I mean. However My statements are for someone within a close range. Not that a ccw holder should go sprinting across the mall. Although I might I am a little crazy as you say I guess. I do look around me when i am in public places and pay attention to anything out of the norm. That is just drilled in my head after being in more than my share of sitiations involving a bad guy with a gun. As well as having kids i am always alert to my surroundings to ensure their safety. That is just the duty of a father in my opinion. Given the situation it is just sad and a young kid lost it over what probably would have passed in his life quickly. However sad my statements are me thinking of what I would do if I was in the situation within 50-75 feet. I would react. So would many others. I would try to draw fire to me and allow others to run meaning putting myself in harms way for the good of others. I can say I would because I have and would again and again as I can hit what i aim at and can also make the decision a little quicker than 1 minute. It is not hard to take classes and become trained but you cannot get real life experience without being there. All of my statements summ up to that there are too many people that high tail it and run when they could likely save a lot of people and a lot of heartache. I simply stand by that there are too many cowards in the world today that have the ability to stop something horrible given the will and simply taking their time to learn to use their gun.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top