JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Given the concern for someone behind the shooter I think anyone would hesitate to take a shot if they did not have a clear shot that they had performed time and time again at a certain distance. Too far and you are just going to miss with a pistol. Then do you chance more lives when the shooters gun is jammed by charging him? I guess to me it would depend on distance to the shooter. I think anyone here that has not had official training in shooting a real life threat would be in the same boat of hesitation as this man. There are also too many factors we do not know like how far away he was and where the person behind him was...so on. I first started posting on this topic in pure anger and frustration but reality sets in with a little nudge from fellow people who might have taken a shot given the chance. Now I have had time to think and really to take that shot you would need to be close enough and knowledgable enough to know the guys gun was jammed or that you have practiced enough that you are confident you will not miss. Otherwise any pistol against an assault rifle is like a knife in a gun fight once you reach a certain distance. Let alone any one here would be concerned for the people their shot may injure while the other guy had no concern who he hurt given the chance to return fire. I think the guy in the news made the right choice.

I have pondered the same thing. Do you make an attempt to minimize the destruction by the shooter? Do you keep yourself and your family safe by retreating?

A handgun vs a rifle definately puts you at a disadvantage unless you are nearby, very close. With my LC9 I don't think I would be effective engaging anyone outside of 20 yards at the max and that would have to be under ideal shooting conditions. Probably the best I could do outside of that would be to draw fire away from others toward me in hopes of sparing others.

I have been seriously considering changing my carry to my 1911. I am confident and accurate out to about 40 yards with it.

My feelings are that I would engage no matter the proximity of others. Not shooting into a crowd. I would have to make a choice to allow things to continue or draw attention or take the best opportunity presented to me.

Of course, realistically, I don't know what I would do. None of us do.

Pretty much official now that due to the acts of few we as gun owners are
Lumped into one. I am sure as hell not the same as the guy who
Started this thread. I will be damned if a bad guy is walking around
With a Mac 10 and all I can get is a 10 round pistol to protect my family.
What happens when a group of thugs decides my familys
Farm is ripe for the picking with 4 wheelers and all kinds of valuables let
Alone my family being there 30 minutes from police help. What happens to all my
Cattle when my .22 is not enough against a pack of coyotes
Tearing up livestock. Should my .223 be considered an assault rifle?
I believe it should simply be labeled a tool the same as any
Other tool I own too keep up our land. I for one cannot save my
Cattle with a pistol at 300 yards. But I can with an sr556 and
Have many times. In my life and many others it is not about if I need it
But rather how often I need it as it is just as important as
My rake.

Pretty much official now that due to the acts of few we as gun owners are
Lumped into one. I am sure as hell not the same as the guy who
Started this thread. I will be damned if a bad guy is walking around
With a Mac 10 and all I can get is a 10 round pistol to protect my family.
What happens when a group of thugs decides my familys
Farm is ripe for the picking with 4 wheelers and all kinds of valuables let
Alone my family being there 30 minutes from police help. What happens to all my
Cattle when my .22 is not enough against a pack of coyotes
Tearing up livestock. Should my .223 be considered an assault rifle?
I believe it should simply be labeled a tool the same as any
Other tool I own too keep up our land. I for one cannot save my
Cattle with a pistol at 300 yards. But I can with an sr556 and
Have many times. In my life and many others it is not about if I need it
But rather how often I need it as it is just as important as
My rake.

Your rake? I think you would be better served with a .223 than using a rake! :s0114:

Just pokin a little fun. I agree with your statement.

haha yeah well you try raking hay with a 30 round magazine! Its just not as safe as my wife might prefer. Though it would rank me up there with the crazy people who do not understand what a firearm is for.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top