JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Nope, nothing to do with Cabelas, it had to do with a legal battle between the owner and a former partner. Bummer, I've bought a lot of guns out of that store!:(

Not a legal issue that closed it - The owner's sister (whom ran the Woodburn store w/ her husband) has stage 4 cancer. This came from the owner's wife when I talked to her when they were moving the cabinets out. All of the Woodburn and Tigard inventory was moved to Clackamas, along with the employees they wished to retain from Tigard.

They closed the Woodburn store, and the Tigard store to consolidate and focus on running one store while dealing with the family issues surrounding his sister's cancer. Cabela's opening only helped them make the decision - close Tigard and consolidate before Cabela's could impact sales.

Gun Broker's prices are quite a bit lower than you'll find at Cabela's on just about any gun, Cabela's always marks their guns at or near MSRP - gun broker didn't.

It's sad to see them go, but it's understandable. The owners have a lot on their plate and running 2 or 3 stores no doubt is too big a PITA.

Thanks for sharing this info... didn't feel right clicking the "like" Hopefully Gun Broker and the family will survive this situation.

I'm not disappoint. Not a very good selection, terrible customer service and down right rude. They offered free installation on Glock sights. The couple times I took my Glocks there to have them install them, they started huffing and puffing like they were all pissed off. Don't offer a free service I you don't want to do it. Also, zero AR parts.

Actually, the first casualty of Cabela's, was Willamette Valley Arms in Hillsboro. Between Sportman's and Cabela's, they just simply could not get enough traffic.

Sad but true, but the little guys are just getting squeezed.......

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
The world is full of Kings and Queens, who blind your eyes, and steal your dreams, it's Heaven and Hell..............

Actually, the first casualty of Cabela's, was Willamette Valley Arms in Hillsboro. Between Sportman's and Cabela's, they just simply could not get enough traffic.

Sad but true, but the little guys are just getting squeezed.......

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
The world is full of Kings and Queens, who blind your eyes, and steal your dreams, it's Heaven and Hell..............
So they closed in the last 2 days? Cabela's has only been open two days. Not sure how they put anyone out of business that quickly and frankly if you can't beat their prices you're not trying hard enough.

No, they closed shortly after Sportsman's opened, but the simple fact that Cabela's was coming, as well as Sportsman's opening, it was just drawing people away.

As much as I like Sportsman's, I really liked Willamette Valley, and I did shop there, spend my money there, and tell anyone I could tell about them, but it comes down to a simple numbers game. Not enough bodies through the door spending money...........

Those who like Cabela's, Sportsman's, etc are not bad people, they just should not complain when the small business guys can't make it. Don't get me wrong, I am not complaining, but I was doing my part to try to help Willamette Valley Arms stay in business. Unfortunately, not enough others were.........

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Service aside, what I'll miss most was having a local shop that took in used items/consignments. I found some real gems on the used racks over the years.
1. A collector grade Parker Bros. VHE that was marked WAY below market value. (Mine now)
2. A H&K 94 with a two digit serial number(below 30). (It also went home with me;))

I have found gems on the used rack at Cabela's and Gun Broker, though most all my business was done at the Clackamas store. I have purchased some of the greatest used guns of my life from Cabela's, but they also wanted $450 for a Savage 42 when it first came out. Fortunately for me, I drove over to Walmart 5 miles into Eugene and bought the same gun for $350. When Cabela's has a closeout, it can be a windfall. They recently sold their "Raspberry" colored(gee, why didn't those sell?) SR22's and LCP's for what had to be less than cost. The SR22 was $220! I have never seen a used one for that low.

There's good and bad and moral dilemma in all of it. That Cabela's may put the little guy out of business does not nix Cabela's right to exist. At the same time, does the right to exist make it morally acceptable to squash the little guy? From simply the standpoint of a man with a finite amount of money, as in the Savage 42 example, the bottom line for me is, "Who can give me the product I need for the lowest amount of money?". Of course, those decisions are for each of us to decide on our own. I have no problem with the guy that will only spend his money at the small business. I also cannot fault the guy that shops for the best deal, no matter who is providing it.

I went to Cabela's on Sunday. Their gun prices are a lot higher than local dealers. $100.00 mark up over what I can get them for elsewhere. Ammo was no bargain either, will keep shopping at BiMart for that.

:cool:Roy in Clackamas is a great guy, they have tons of AR parts at that location. They have always lowered prices when I have cash and am buying out right, and layaway w/ percent down.

I'm pretty sure that his name is Royd, which is actually hilarious considering how muscular the guy is. I mean no offense, he obviously takes care of himself. However, it's like the fat guy named "Tiny", a built dude named Royd(I'm not sure of the spelling) is beyond funny.

I once passed up on a Ruger 77 bin .35 Whelen at the Clackamas store. I came to my senses the next morning and went there to find it sold. That, aside from not buying more MAK-90's before the ban, is probably my biggest firearm regret ever.

Here's to the Clackamas store having a long and profitable venture. They are one of the very few gun stores that haven't done something to piss me off.

I can buy a Ruger SR1911 Commander at Keith's for $629. Cabela's had it for $799. They won't be putting the local shops out of business. The people they will really hurt is stores like Dick's, and deservedly so.

I've always gotten great service at the Clackamas Gun Broker store. I too have a "stupid" story from there. I was browsing one day and found a Howa 1500 in .223 with a green synthetic stock leaning in the corner against the wall. I asked what was up with that and they said they just took it in on a trade. It was priced about $300. As I was driving home I realized what an idiot I was for not snapping it up. I turned around and went back, but unfortunately it was already gone.:(

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top