JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Thanks anyway Tac. Maybe those folks will get back to me. I know there's times that Joe takes a while to respond to requests as he can get really busy. I KNOW he's a great guy. Benefit of the doubt for now.

OK, Mike - here is what I writ -

View attachment 432707 Help for a noob from Portland OR
NOT me! As a member of northwestfirearms.com AND this fine forum too, I got asked by a fellow northwestfirearms member to bring his plight to your attention. Obviously I don't know what he is called here, but his NWF handle is MikeJ - this is what he has to say -

Is there something nutty about this ^ website? I've tried to register there. They have my user name at the top of the page when I go to the site, yet I can't view pics, post, or do any thing other than read. I did make a mistake when I was making my account with my email and put .com instead of .net. I tried to fix it numerous times. At this point I've sent three notes through the "Contact Us" section and got nothing back. Someone here must be a member there?

I'd appreciate something to get back to him with, please.

Best

tacfoley2

Hey Tac...I hadn't been on the Gunboards site for a couple of weeks. Today I popped in and started looking at the help section and right near the top was your note to them. They replied that It should work for me now. I'm in I guess as I can post and see picks. They said I didn't finish registration? I guess they finished it for me. Still not sure why they wouldn't respond to a "Contact Us" note though. :shrug:

Thanks Tac.

Gunboards was one of, if not the first internet board I joined. Been so long I can't remember exactly when, but was on "the old board" ( my join date shows as 1969 :D )

I don't post much there, but they are a GREAT resouce!

FYI - The 76,157 French soldiers KIA in 1940 defending their country from the Blitzkrieg and Luftwaffe did not throw down their guns, as you suggest, and over 12,000 of them died defending the Dunkirk salient so that their buddies might have the chance to escape to England to fight again.

Back in WW1, French Army casualties were as follows -

1914 - 301,000 KIA
1915 - 349,000 KIA
1916 - 252,000 KIA
1917 - 164,000 KIA
1918 - 235,000 KIA

One village of 400 or so inhabitants I know of in NW France has a WW1 memorial with 245 names on it.

In WW1, US Army casualties were as follows -

1917 - 1918 116,516 KIA.

'Lions led by donkeys' were the truest words written about the Poilu.

tac
And with all that it took the Americans to rescue both France and Great Britan.......and we did it in less than a year. I spent 4 years and many training sessions in the French sector and next to French troops......they were useless angry conscripts that didn't want to leave Home. I had a French lieutenant pull a knife on one of my guys during a training exercise and I had one of my dog handlers release his very large German Shepherd. He was shaken like a rag and taken off in an ambulance......a small international incident ensued but we were ruled as justified And the officer was transferred back to France. We could smell them coming through the woods.

Last Edited:
I've been on Gunboards for a long time. Great forum, and a good platform for buying and selling, as well as help with technical questions.

Regarding the French, just read about their deeds at Verdun, Dien Bien Phu, and elsewhere, and you'll have a positive opinion of their soldiering. The wisecracks about alleged cowardice are a sign of ignorance.

I've been on Gunboards for a long time. Great forum, and a good platform for buying and selling, as well as help with technical questions.

Regarding the French, just read about their deeds at Verdun, Dien Bien Phu, and elsewhere, and you'll have a positive opinion of their soldiering. The wisecracks about alleged cowardice are a sign of ignorance.
My grandfather was drafted into WW1 from Culdesac Idaho, was in training at Camp Greene 100 years ago this month. I have the letters he wrote home from France. He describes the French as anything but brave or smart. He does talk about the leaders marching large groups of there men into German machine guns at the point of there officers handgun. I was stationed on the French Frontier (and French sector) in Germany during the 70's. We trained with them and traveled frequently in there country. They were the worst soldiers I ever encountered in over a decade of foreign service. Most were conscripts that hated being there, drunk, lazy angry people poorly equipped and led. The stories the local Germans told about the atrocities committed by the French after the war were horrendous and unexcuseable. I know the French better than I care to......it is a big country, there must be some decent people somewhere but they are difficult to find.

My grandfather was drafted into WW1 from Culdesac Idaho, was in training at Camp Greene 100 years ago this month. I have the letters he wrote home from France. He describes the French as anything but brave or smart. He does talk about the leaders marching large groups of there men into German machine guns at the point of there officers handgun. I was stationed on the French Frontier (and French sector) in Germany during the 70's. We trained with them and traveled frequently in there country. They were the worst soldiers I ever encountered in over a decade of foreign service. Most were conscripts that hated being there, drunk, lazy angry people poorly equipped and led. The stories the local Germans told about the atrocities committed by the French after the war were horrendous and unexcuseable. I know the French better than I care to......it is a big country, there must be some decent people somewhere but they are difficult to find.

Argonaut, I have no doubt the experiences and observations of you and your grandfather are completely valid. Just bare in mind that by the time the US entered WWI, both the French and British armies, as well as the German, were exhausted and demoralized from 3+ years of attrition. Not to make excuses, but the US experience in WWI, getting into the conflict comparatively late, not having to fight on our own soil, and not having lost most of our professional army to the battlefield, makes a big difference.

Also, I have no doubt that many of the French soldiers you dealt with were less than stellar. But also consider the times. Was the US Army much better? We were in the Post-Vietnam era, soldiering was not considered an honorable profession, and the western European countries still engaged in conscription. There is a big difference between the motivation and professionalism of a volunteer, professional military, and one consisting of conscripts who did not choose the profession. I served in both the US Marine Corps and the US Army, and trained with foreign military units, and like you, have seen both good and bad.

Again, i'm not discounting your experiences, which are certainly valid. Just take it in perspective, with regards to the times and political culture.

That reminds me of the joke: Why were there trees lining the streets of Paris?? So the Germans could march in the shade....

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top