JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So much bubblegum in this thread.

In theory, gun registration is not necessarily an evil thing. There are absolutely people out there who should not have firearms, because they have demonstrated that they are unable to control violent impulses, whether that's because of mental instability or simply not having regard for their fellow man. We are obviously aware that they exist. It would be silly to say that demonstratably evil people should have firearms. Gun registration is common sense... until you observe the slippery slope.

Many of the people on that list should have their guns taken away. The snag is that big, ugly, slippery slope.

The catch 22 is that you either have registration, which allows a mechanism for guns to be confiscated from those who shouldn't have them, or you don't have registration, which protects the people who should. Neither is perfect. Each have significant pros, and horrific drawbacks.

The task is to examine the above, and to determine whether the risks outweigh the rewards. My personal position is that registration is not worth the risk. I do acknowledge that this means that firearms are being left in the hands of some overtly violent people, and that sucks.

You jealous? My job rocks, and I don't have to murder and steal from anyone, like you probably have to, since you most likely "work" for the government in some pathetic make-belief position.

lol wrong on both there, chief. I own a small company that employs a handful of people.

you sound pretty young,

"California is the only state that takes legally obtained weapons away from citizens who are no longer supposed to have them." FALSE

Most states that require any form of permitting for ownership or registration do this. I know for a fact that Mass. does it routinely and has done so for many years.

"There are almost 20,000 such gun owners, state records show, including convicted felons, people under domestic violence restraining orders, or those deemed mentally unstable." -And until it was politically convenient, no one bothered to enforce decades-old laws.

"Nationwide, as many as 200,000 people have lost their gun rights but keep their weapons, says Garen Wintemute, director of the Violence Prevention Research Program at the University of California at Davis."
-Utter horse$hot. There are more young Black men in prison than that on any given day. Forget the rest of the population.

"...They had better luck at the ranch house in nearby Upland, where they seized the three guns from the home of a woman who’d been hospitalized for mental illness. One gun was registered to her, two to her husband." So they without a warrant or any other legal ability UNLAWFULLY seized a NON-pp's guns without compensation or recourse until they get sued.

This article is so full of fail...

So much bubblegum in this thread.

In theory, gun registration is not necessarily an evil thing. There are absolutely people out there who should not have firearms, because they have demonstrated that they are unable to control violent impulses, whether that's because of mental instability or simply not having regard for their fellow man. We are obviously aware that they exist. It would be silly to say that demonstratably evil people should have firearms. Gun registration is common sense... until you observe the slippery slope.

Many of the people on that list should have their guns taken away. The snag is that big, ugly, slippery slope.

The catch 22 is that you either have registration, which allows a mechanism for guns to be confiscated from those who shouldn't have them, or you don't have registration, which protects the people who should. Neither is perfect. Each have significant pros, and horrific drawbacks.

The task is to examine the above, and to determine whether the risks outweigh the rewards. My personal position is that registration is not worth the risk. I do acknowledge that this means that firearms are being left in the hands of some overtly violent people, and that sucks.

It's called Liberty.. We the People have to fill the gap and ensure most of the crazies have lesser access to arms. Crazies will always exist, but we MUST be free

It's called Liberty.. We the People have to fill the gap and ensure most of the crazies have lesser access to arms. Crazies will always exist, but we MUST be free

Uhhh... Hey, Blitz... Here's a quote from my post that you quoted.

"My personal position is that registration is not worth the risk."

Guess where I stand on liberty?

He's far from alone and we are far from nerds.. if you met many of us in person you would shut yer yap
these jack-booted thugs will be snuffed out

You guys worry me. Statements like this concern me. I'm not a "tinfoil hat" guy at all, but if I were a gun-control type who wanted to stir up and discredit the other side, I would get on gun forums and post stuff like this. Not saying that's how it is here; just musing.

Also- as regards to registration; it doesn't even work. Ask Canada. I would love to be able to take all the guns out of the hands of the bad guys, but the only way you could effectively do that would be to go door to door in the whole country with SWAT teams and take them all away.

Apparently California actually has a listing of registered gun owners and their guns that state officials can access. We do not have any such listing here in Oregon. Gun stores are required to keep a record of purchases, but to my knowledge that information is not shared with any official. Of course, those of us with CHL s are registered with the state, but not for any particular firearm.

Sooner or later, those California 'repo" men are going to run into somebody who will not surrender and they will lose some people. It will be unfortunate if that happens, but they do seem to be asking for it.

You guys worry me. Statements like this concern me. I'm not a "tinfoil hat" guy at all, but if I were a gun-control type who wanted to stir up and discredit the other side, I would get on gun forums and post stuff like this. Not saying that's how it is here; just musing.

Also- as regards to registration; it doesn't even work. Ask Canada. I would love to be able to take all the guns out of the hands of the bad guys, but the only way you could effectively do that would be to go door to door in the whole country with SWAT teams and take them all away.

In 1775 were the redcoats jack booted thugs?

It is a state registry. They can keep a registry even though the fed can not by law. But tell me my class 2 items are not registered with the feds. On the repo thing, sorry, if you are a convicted felon, or a nut job with violent tendencies, or a nut case that has anger management problems that beats your wife and/or children, then you should have your guns conficated. Although if it was a white collar crime/felony with no violence or a mental record for depression with no documented violent tendencies, then you should have an appeal process. But you won't get one in CA.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top