JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
What's the outside reasonable timeframe for getting work done on a firearm? I've had a gun in the shop for some mechanical work (nothing finish or polish) and it's been a year and a half so far. It's needing a bit of work as S&W has been somewhat... lax in their QC dept. of late, but as it's a favorite carry piece I'm missing it. I've contacted the shop a half-dozen times and assurances "it'll get done soon" are starting to wear thin. If the Pandemic is really causing these kind of delays I'll be patient, but I'm really starting to wonder what the deal is.
Thoughts?

My Colt that I had overhauled by Wilson Combat was a 9mo turn around. My custom order from them for a new gun is 10-12 months. A good smith may be backed up pretty far.

A good Smith is worth the wait, and i'm sure with folks having suffered under the covid at home, a lot of projects were sent out, making a busy Smith even more so! Combine that with having fewer and fewer good ones left, and the issues get even worse!!

Haven't inquired of @Velzey lately, but I bet he is backed up till rapture!

I was on the waiting list for Cylinder and Slide for just over a year to get my little 38 worked over. Only a couple months when my number came up.

Wait / lead times really depend on the smith.

Gotta say if a craftsman is backed up to the End of Days, it's an encouraging sign. I'd rather have it right than fast. Just starting to wonder. Hate to have Legislation passed that makes it illegal to ship back to me or something stupid along those lines. :confused:

A "good" 'smith will give you more than just "soon", they know how far out they are and if he can't give you an estimated timeline, I'd pull it and take it somewhere else, even if it means taking longer. At least you'll have a better idea of when you should expect it.

I've never had to pull any work, but everyone I have dealt with gives me at least a "10-12 months, call me if it hits 13" kind of estimate.

There are too many great 'smiths out there who can do wonderful work AND run the business side of things properly. There's no reason to wait around forever for perhaps some good work....eventually....maybe.

Backed up or not, that does seem a little long, but i'd be more concerned with the "soon" comment from more than 9 months ago - that suggest they're not very good at managing time.

If the smith has zero communication, there is a problem. If communication exists, that's huge. I'd try seeing what the reason for the hold up might be, perhaps he/she is waiting on parts from the manufacture? Or?

I know my go to Gunsmith takes some time as he is the best in the area and likely the person EVERYONE goes to. He also never charges that much, making him even more popular. I give him space, let him work, and trust that he will take care of me even if it is a lengthy process. I know he is a "rare breed" sort of thing. Without him, this area would kind of suck. If anything, I really need to stop directing people to him!

It sucks to have a gun go missing, especially a carry piece, but if the smith is keeping you in the loop, that's pretty good compared to some! I've given up a gun for work to a local smith once to only have them commit twice to a timeline, and wildly fail.

I've been in the same boat, thankfully it was never a carry gun. I'd recommend trying to discuss it further and seeing if there is something missing in the dialogue that can be added to reassure you, if not, I'd likely look to regain my property. I had to go as far as showing up at a smith once, for them to do the work that day, in hours, after multiple months of waiting past their given timeline. After that, I only use one guy. He isn't always the fastest, but he is the best.

Keep checking back. Soon in one person's mind is not so in another's.
I have had Velzey work on my stuff multiple times. He is superlative, exceptionally reasonable, and busier than the devil. And a great guy to boot!
I heard good praise for a new one in the area, called to inquire about having a sight mounted on a rifle. He returned my call several days later, I explained my need, and he replied that he was so busy he wouldn't be able to look at it for at least six months. Said he had my number, name and description of my work needed, and he would give me a call when he saw a window of time.
Calls back? Check
Forthright about timing? Check
He's getting my work if I still own that rifle when he calls again. I'd much rather the parts sit in my safe than his!

All your replies have given me a lot to think about; luckily it's not a life-or-death issue (I have a couple others in the rotation and the G2s is oddly growing on me, though the holster sucks), so maybe I'll file it away under "keep waiting and see." Some of it may be just feeling old this year like time is slipping away and being less patient from that anxiety. Some things are just going to be done when they're done. I know I could use a little grace here and there.

What's the outside reasonable timeframe for getting work done on a firearm? I've had a gun in the shop for some mechanical work (nothing finish or polish) and it's been a year and a half so far. It's needing a bit of work as S&W has been somewhat... lax in their QC dept. of late, but as it's a favorite carry piece I'm missing it. I've contacted the shop a half-dozen times and assurances "it'll get done soon" are starting to wear thin. If the Pandemic is really causing these kind of delays I'll be patient, but I'm really starting to wonder what the deal is.
Thoughts?
I'm with you on the frustration. The drawback of limited gun smithing resources and businesses. Unfortunate some of the guys look at it as a side hobby when they got time instead of a business that pushes turn around so they can serve more customers. Then again maybe I just need to learn more and do it myself!!

I'm with you on the frustration. The drawback of limited gun smithing resources and businesses. Unfortunate some of the guys look at it as a side hobby when they got time instead of a business that pushes turn around so they can serve more customers. Then again maybe I just need to learn more and do it myself!!
I'd love to have done it myself, just for the tinkering aspect I enjoy so much. Unfortunately, this requires tools and skills that are quite beyond me and a level of precision that I am not equipped to handle. Part of the frustration is certainly that I'm not doing it myself or involved as I love to learn anything I can about whatever someone can stand me long enough to impart. ;)

I'd love to have done it myself, just for the tinkering aspect I enjoy so much. Unfortunately, this requires tools and skills that are quite beyond me and a level of precision that I am not equipped to handle. Part of the frustration is certainly that I'm not doing it myself or involved as I love to learn anything I can about whatever someone can stand me long enough to impart. ;)
Well said! I'm hoping to set up a little work shop in my garage once things settle in.

I bought a 1940's Colt snub pistol that had been left in a cloth bag and got wet. One side looks perfect and the other is pitted. So I cleaned it up the best I could and decided to have it engraved to cover the pits.
The first thing I learned is that this is like finding a Tattoo artist that will cover a bad tattoo! And when you find one they are backed up a couple years!
The engraver said "I'm backed up about two years. just put it in your safe and I'll send you a note about 3 months before I'm ready!"
If his estimate is right that puts me about Dec. 2022! DR

Gunsmiths, I tell yeah we are odd lot 😂

I continued to take jobs in a few years ago during a back surgery. Took months and months to get caught up. Then the same thing again during my shoulder replacement.
Had one fellow drop off a rifle for some work, arm all in a sling. Then call a week later, "is it done"
Well no, see I'm still on pain meds and have one arm..😂 takes all kinds.

There really isn't allot of help available. I am super picky about not leaving any marks on screw heads. Right along with finish on stocks and bluing. It needs to be perfect.
Folks do offer to help but it's not that easy. One slip of the screw driver and it could be a $500 mistake or more. I've learned this the hard way.

I have my wife working for me fulltime. She handles all the paperwork, emails etc.
Seems as of lately allot of Oregon smiths are moving out of state. Because Ore/Wash is an awful place. Bad for business, can't make a living etc.
I'm not seeing any of that.
I will go back to the shop now.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews