JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hello,

Might sound like a stupid question, but do any of you have suggestions for a decent gun vice? I just need something to hold rifles for cleaning, scope mounting, etc. I've looked online and can figure out which of the many Tipton, Layman, etc vices are worth the $. Looks like lots of cheap plastic, in most cases. What do you guys/gals use?

Thanks,
DJM

My wife bought me the Tippton model shown above and I've never really used it.
Just takes up room on my bench.
It's yours for $20.00 if you're interested.
PM me cell #.

I use my regular vise, cut 2 plywood pads and covered them with pile carpet. been working for 20 years. you are right most of the stuff out there is plasic junk.

I have a BenchMaster shooting rest. I just use that for cleaning. Holds the gun perfectly and I put a small square of granite countertop under the rear leg to lower the muzzle so the solvent doesn't drain back into the action.

The primary advantage of this approach is one less piece of equipment cluttering up my gun area, and for sage rat trips, my gun cleaning device works great to shot off of.

I bought a Cabela's vise, which looks like a copy of the Tipton. Cheap, IMO useful only for cleaning, with the muzzle always pointing down. Returned it.

CabelasVise.JPG

A week or two later, saw a HySkore vise at Cabela's on sale for $50.
It works well, allows me to level my rifle and hold it steady. I've used it on 2 rifles (HS Precision stock & Choate Varmint stock), held each one well. Used it to level one and mount & bore sight my scope. I'm pleased. When I'm not using it, I hang it on the wall. Picture below:
HySkore.JPG
Link to it: Hyskore Gun Vise at Cabelas

upload_2015-6-3_0-41-46.png

Curious to hear what people are using these days.

I've been looking at either the Hyskore model above or the Tipton Ultra Gun Vice. The Tipton is quite a bit more expensive, but I like that it can be used for pistols, bullpups, etc. Might even be able to use it for some of my electronics projects :)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top