JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello everyone,

I've often wondered why some of the special edition rifles aren't more popular to collect and value driven up with that popularity. For example, I have a chance to make an offer to someone with a RMEF Weatherby. I think it's just a rifle that was raffled off at a dinner event for the RMEF. But it has the Elk foundation engraved into it. Something near and dear to me. I love the elk foundation and everything they do for the great sport I enjoy more than just about anything in the world. But why doesn't it make the rifle more valuable? or does it?

Thoughts?

Unless the buyer has some personal connection to that particular event or group marked on the gun I'd opine that they are worth less than an unmarked gun.

Yup.

Occasionally special editions, commemorative's & such may have features not commonly available in said standard edition without an extra or aftermarket parts purchase. Those types may be worth more simply due to the feature bundle.

One of our Ruger 10/22's come to mind in this example. Came with the stock to allow adjustable fitment, plus a coupon (IIRC) for the extra adjustment blocks. Nice gun as a base 10/22, the extra fitment bits are a bonus...

I think it depends on the gun. For instance, the veritable Winchester 9422 has a variety of commeratives and special editions. The base model is sought after and the special editions even more so. Look up a standard model on Gunbroker and then look for the Boy Scout or Annie Oakley versions. The price takes a big jump. But an engraved stock 10/22 only really brings a small premium. Perhaps it has to do with age and if the base firearm is already collectible. They don't make the 9422 anymore, the special editions were limited runs, and the rifle was collectable on its own. Not sure that a I see a basic 10/22 as being highly coveted.

Another example, The Winchester 94. Truly an American icon and a favorite of many collectors. Put someone's face on it and call it a commemorative and it doesn't seem like that created any value.

I think that's what defines 'niche collector value'....those with 'some' interest in an item, are even more interested by the branding in some way, of that item, which pretends to link the item & whatever event/person/etc more closely, by the seller in the effort to drive the appeal (market value) upward. Sports memorabilia, or 'the Royals' or the various extensive wares of Micky Mouse club, have zero intrinsic value, yet someone you know/love/related to are just flipping out to have a genuine article with a "Certificate of Authenticity"...aren't they?
Are vehicles worth any more because some celebrity drove it? Does the laser etching, no matter how tacky, on a firearm, of some animal, make it worth more to most? The draw has to bring in those interested in the item in the first place, then encourage them to willingly pay more for that particular feature.

I consider them as the "collectible plates" of the gun world....
....with the exception of a special one-off awarded to a famous person to commemorate some incredible achievemment

(like Kennedy getting away with nailing Marilyn Monroe, and receiving a special HIGH-FIVE Winchester from his adoring press corps)

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads