JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm looking for the value of a gun. I don't have a current Blue Book. I personally thought it was a worthless gun. Worth maybe $200 at best. But looking on the net, I've sensed its worth at least $400 or more. In the Cowboy action area. That is why I'm coming to you for help. I've had somebody offer me a Eotech sight for trade for it.

The item is a Marlin 1894C .357 mag, manufactured in 1979. It's in good condition, the clear coat in the stock is starting to flake off, around the butt end. From my understanding, if it is made pre safety cross bolt, it is worth more. Please help me with this. This is one of the many guns I inherited from my dad, when he passed. And he has had the gun for the last 27ish years. He got it in horse trade kinda deal.

Thank you.
Cheesemaker

200 would be a giveaway !

Marlin pirices are going crazy right now since they were taken over by Remington.rumor is the Remmy's are junk,so the older marlins are going way up.
now,whehter they are actually getting the high prices they're asking,I coulnd't tell you.
BUT, a 'decent shape' older marlin should easily bring 400.00, I know I"d pay that.

Thanks Throckmorton, that is about what I was finding on the web. The sites I was getting that info off of, had posting dates from 2009, and I didn't know if they jumped up in price or not. And in those postings, the new ones were garbage, and there was a wait for them. And the older ones were hard to find, and people were paying almost new prices for used ones.

Another question? Since the clear coat is starting to peel along the butt edge, and the finish looks like crap from the factory, how much would it hurt it if I redid the stock? Do a nice hand rub finish? The wood grain doesn't have any character that I can see, but would look better than the factory finish.

If it ever does become a collector you would have completely destroyed the value by refinishing it from there on out it would be a shooter. look at other collector guns such as pre 64's and colt 1911's refinishing does not help the value in the long run.

$400 is a well used entry level price and with some time you could get more. I'd hold that one. I love mine (same year) and would never sell it. Its a fun cheap shooter. If you do keep it the wild west trigger is well worth the price.

You would sell it in minutes for $400.Maybe worth around $450? But at any price you would sell it quick.
If I was going to sell one of those I would start at $500 and you will still get offers,maybe not $500 but you will get offers.Those last maybe a day up here at the shops.

Keep it

Dudes, my head is spinning with all the offers I've been given. I just don't know what to do. :s0001: One minute I'm thinking the gun is only worth $150, $200 at best, and then I'm getting all these crazy offers, and I just don't know what to do. I'll have to let my head settle down, and think about it. I will give replies to my decision in the near future.

Thank you!!

the gun is only worth $150, $200 at best, and then I'm getting all these crazy offers, and I just don't know what to do. !
Don't listen to those other guys. I'd also say between $150 and $200. I'll meet you half way at $175. That's a helluva deal considering they'd only give you $50 bucks at a gun turn in event for a $600...I mean a $200 gun

357 lever action are not common and are popular with people with wheel guns because they can use same ammo. Post it at what ever you want. I know winchester in great condition goes for $700. So I beaten up marlin will be $200 or more less.

Your gun is a "rising star" for a modern gun that is increasing in value almost unreasonably (except for those who have the pleasure of owning one). I'm in Throck's and mjb's camp (and, yes, nutty's camp) on this one. Don't refinish it, unless you intend to keep it forever.

Yours is a "pre-button safety" model, and of even greater desirability than the later ones that have this litigation-prompted mechanism. Check Marlinowners.com to see what they are going for.

Thank you for all informative replies I've been getting. Yeah, I've done some research on this gun, and I've seen posts of people driving 3 states away just to get one, that a buddy of a buddy saw in a store on this dirt road. And they are spending $450+ for them. In very similar condition. It's a hand me down, but it has no sentiment to me. Dad got this in trade for storage fees from an aunt who was going through a divorce. Now, if you want to talk about hand me downs that is worth more than a million dollars in my eyes, is my grandpas Winchester mod 94 30-30, there is millions of those out there, but to me this one is priceless. Then there is dad's Savage 99 .300, is another priceless gun. All my other guns, I have no emotional attachment too. But if a gun is worth $$ and is gaining value, then I will keep it as a investment, that is pure profit to me.

And this gun would make a great thing to have when the Zombie Apocalypse comes about!!! :gun08: :s0114:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top