JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Original story here --> <broken link removed>

FOX 12 Oregon is teaming up with the Lents Neighborhood Association and Ceasefire Oregon to hold a gun turn-in event.

Bring your unwanted gun to the event at 5933 SE 92nd Avenue in Portland on Saturday morning. The event starts at 7 a.m. and runs until 2 p.m.

You'll receive a $75 Fred Meyer gift card for turning in your gun.

Portland police officers and cadets will receive the weapons. Anonymity is promised for those who turn in the guns.

Almost 30,000 people die from gunfire in the United States every year. Since Ceasefire began conducting gun turn-ins in 1994, it has collected 6,731 guns.

If any of you guys have cheap junk guns you can't get rid of, at least you can get $75 out of em :D

I'm thinking about turning in a Raven .25 everyone says is near worthless and I'm too afraid to shoot.

I'd rather throw a gun in the lake than give it to one of these events. I don't care how much they're offering.

I like the idea of offering people $100 (cash) for any good guns. Start a bidding war.

For the sheer fact that turning in weapons here adds to their "collection count" I would never, ever turn in any weapons to these psychopaths.

...because that's what it is, insanity. They haven't learned anything from history, and are willing to keep trying and trying for the same result. People will die unarmed, and the sad part is that it was their conscious decision, but they were influenced by this rhetoric and events such as this. The fact that criminals know that the majority of the population in a given area are unarmed creates more crime. I blame these self-destructive ideological psychopaths for the gun deaths they blame on YOU, ME, and ALL of US.

Also, a big thumbs down to Fred Meyer for encouraging this. I guess I'm happier with Winco at the moment, regardless of if they don't like open carry. At least they don't sponsor this idiocy.

Less than 30,000 people die from gunfire in the United States every year (A number which is sadly way too high!) 42,815 people were killed in auto accidents in 2002. Wouldn't it be just as helpful to the comunity to offer $75 to get cars off the street? I've heared that there are something like 3-6 firearms for every man woman and child in the US. I doubt there are that many autos in the US. Therefore very simple statistics shows that cars are bigger killers than guns.

I'm heading out now to mount a .50 to a horse drawn buggy.

Less than 30,000 people die from gunfire in the United States every year (A number which is sadly way too high!) 42,815 people were killed in auto accidents in 2002. Wouldn't it be just as helpful to the comunity to offer $75 to get cars off the street? I've heared that there are something like 3-6 firearms for every man woman and child in the US. I doubt there are that many autos in the US. Therefore very simple statistics shows that cars are bigger killers than guns.

I'm heading out now to mount a .50 to a horse drawn buggy.

Funny how the best points can be made in the most comical of posts.

I think the type of people turning in guns for $75 are probably the kind of people that shouldn't have them.

I'm thinking Meth heads.

Agreed! There are many methistos who will eagerly part with their roscoes for quick cash or beer. The "buy-backs" only offer store gift cards, but there WILL be some bad people parting with their shooters, along with the grannies who don't want their dead husbands guns around the house where the grandkids could find them.

There are LOTS of people who should not have guns around the house, and this is a great place for them to get rid of them. It is also a great place for US, to get rid of our Jennings and Lorcins! You do not have to prove that they are functional, and you do not have to include the magazines.

Around ten years ago I dumped a Jennings and a Tek-22, both junk, non-functional and without magazines, at a gun turn-in for store gift cards (I got food from Freddies, and a lifetime supply of good sweatsocks from some footgear store.) There were two fat uniformed policemen lounging around, soaking up the overtime, who had no idea what a Tek-22 was (I am constantly amazed how little most coppers know about firearms.) When I explained, they huffed that "That's exactly what we want to get off of the street!" I desperately wanted to shout, "These were never ON the street, you idiot! I am a responsible gun owner and they were always secure in my home!"

But it is never a good idea to try loudly to make a political point with uniformed cops next to a stack of guns, so I bit my tongue and kept silent. For all of their effort that day, they only took in about a hundred crappy guns. That includes one fabricated just for the event by a "gun-nut"---a working twelve guage shotgun made of about twelve dollars worth of steel plumbing parts...........and a rubber band. Yes, he got his gift card too!......................elsullo :s0114:

That includes one fabricated just for the event by a "gun-nut"---a working twelve guage shotgun made of about twelve dollars worth of steel plumbing parts...........and a rubber band. Yes, he got his gift card too!......................elsullo
hmmmm..... you know, i could use a gift card, christmas is comming... let me see what i can whip up here with these plummin parts and this rubber bandy thingy...

Fred Myer doing this in Oregon? That's insane. What percentage of their Oregon customers have guns? I used to spend a couple hundred a month there, I'll never go to Fred Myer's again. They will be getting a letter letting them no why too!

I see nothing wrong with assisting people who do not want guns in their homes to get rid of them. We are not afraid of guns, but many people rightfully are. There are many folks who can benefit by a safe way to profit at getting rid of an unwanted gun. Not everyone with a housefull of children can afford a gun safe!

Gun ownership is NOT mandatory. I like to think of all of the guns turned in by now-single mothers while Bubba is off to prison. Please explain how this is wrong.................elsullo 8)

I see nothing wrong with assisting people who do not want guns in their homes to get rid of them. We are not afraid of guns, but many people rightfully are. There are many folks who can benefit by a safe way to profit at getting rid of an unwanted gun. Not everyone with a housefull of children can afford a gun safe!

Gun ownership is NOT mandatory. I like to think of all of the guns turned in by now-single mothers while Bubba is off to prison. Please explain how this is wrong.................elsullo 8)

The problem lies in their campaign. If they specified this, or even directed their campaign differently, I would feel different about it.

The fact is, they cry about how "gun deaths." They choose to ignore the rightful owners, and present the image that all guns are wrong and dangerous, regardless of who's hands they are in.

It's how they go about it.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads