JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
At first I thought WoW! Good way to get rid of a couple of old .25 autos for more than their market value....BUT, like others have said...It's in the "Representation". Are they making a "BIG DEAL" out of what they're doing that puts all gun owners in a bad light i.e. "Good People really don't want guns". If so...Stuff 'em. I'll pull the slides off and throw them in the salt chuck.
:s0155:

I must agree, it is a moral dillema over whether pirating their money with junk guns is worth giving "support" for their cause, which does try to put all gun owners in a bad light. On the one hand, it really is a good thing to get more guns "off the street" from fools and criminals who should not have them. But on the gripping hand, they do not allow for the idea of responsible, legal gun carriers in their cosmology. I say, take their money, feel bad, and don't get any more junk guns!

If it is any consolation, I think this weekend's effort was a total dud. I am a news addict, and no other TV station had any news before or after about this buyback. There was NO mention of this event in the Oregonian---I scan every item, every day. And NO news outlet has done any follow-up report on the results of the buyback. I doubt that anyone other than KPTV News viewers even knew that it happened at all........................elsullo

At first I thought WoW! Good way to get rid of a couple of old .25 autos for more than their market value....BUT, like others have said...It's in the "Representation". Are they making a "BIG DEAL" out of what they're doing that puts all gun owners in a bad light i.e. "Good People really don't want guns". If so...Stuff 'em. I'll pull the slides off and throw them in the salt chuck.
:s0155:

I must agree, it is a moral dillema over whether pirating their money with junk guns is worth giving "support" for their cause, which does try to put all gun owners in a bad light. On the one hand, it really is a good thing to get more guns "off the street" from fools and criminals who should not have them. But on the gripping hand, they do not allow for the idea of responsible, legal gun carriers in their cosmology. I say, take their money, feel bad, and don't get any more junk guns!

Has anybody decrying this even looked at the agenda of the organization that sponsored this event (along with Fred Meyer and KPTV)?

Granted, gun owners will not agree with everything, but I see nothing on their site that seeks to paint responsible ownership in a bad light. If fact, they ask that those folks who decide to keep guns store them safely--in accord with the same suggestions as you'd receive from the NRA or any accredited training program.

<broken link removed>

Their mission is to, "Ceasefire Oregon is dedicated to enacting laws in Oregon that will ensure the safe and responsible use of firearms." That strikes me as a far cry from rabid anti-gunnuttery.

I see nothing wrong with getting unwanted guns, guns potentially in the reach of bad guys, or guns in possession of people who do not know how to properly store and care for them out of circulation.

Just my $.02.

Isn't it all ready against the law : To commit a crime with a firearm. For a convicted felon to possess a firearm. For the mentally incompetent to buy, or possess a firearm. Under 18, Pass a Hunter's Saftey Course. What else do we need except some elected officials and courts that aren't worried about being so P.C that they're constantly meddeling with enforcement.:s0155:
Well, maybe that was .03 cents...I quit:s0129:

Interestingly Fred Meyer stores in Alaska sell guns, including handguns...

Groups like Oregon CeaseFire can sound really good and positive. In reality, the overwhelming majority of such organizations are either highly miseducated about the issues involved or simply being misleading about the fact what they are really working for is an actual or de-facto ban on civilian gun ownership.

Encouraging safe and responsible gun ownership is something that we all should actively support. It is an unfortunate reality that far too many gun owners are not educated enough and act in unsafe, irresponsible ways that make the rest of us look bad. The proper approach to dealing with this problem is through education, not further restrictions on and criminalization of gun ownership. :)

I don't like them because there's always a few nice guns that get turned in for a gift certificate only to be destroyed.

Think of the old lady that turns in a gun that belonged to her late husband: possibly a nice condition Luger bringback from WWII. It will either be melted down, chopped up, or find it's way into some crooked cops safe.

I distrust them and get the feeling that they believe "guns on the street" means everything from the Jennings in some gangbanger's pants to the AR locked up in my safe.

It's hard to say, depending on how favorable the locals were. The cops might ask you to move along, feeling you were attempting to incite, cite you for loitering, ect. You might want to have a little back-up in case someone wanted to get snotty.:s0131: Hey, sounds like good business practice to me, utilizing the competition's advertising.:p:s0114:

Hi all...How about WE organize a gun turn-in.I mean a legit one.In an effort to help people who dont want and dont know what to do with the guns they do have or for guns they feel are unsafe.We could inspect them and return the safe and collectable items the real market and might be able to get some unsafe or stolen items out of circulation.I dont see how we could pay anything for them but we might be able to get a sponser...just a thought...]

Hi all...How about WE organize a gun turn-in.I mean a legit one.In an effort to help people who dont want and dont know what to do with the guns they do have or for guns they feel are unsafe.We could inspect them and return the safe and collectable items the real market and might be able to get some unsafe or stolen items out of circulation.I dont see how we could pay anything for them but we might be able to get a sponser...just a thought...]

Wow, that's a good idea :D

I actually saw this advertised a while ago, and had the same idea and discussion with coworkers, to stand outside with a "Will buy your guns from your for $125" sign. I got in a heavy argument with my coworkers, one of whom is a gun nut and the others are not pro-guns, and I called the station (think it was fox 12) who aired the story. They said that the main function of this event is to allow those who have found guns (like moms with kids/teens who have guns illegally) to be able to legally and safely dispose of them, which is a very good reason to hold this event. I really don't think that anyone should abuse this system by taking their beat up jimenez worth $25 to score $75. I don't know, it is really kind of a weird situation.

The problem, as I see it, is that the type of person willing to sell a gun for 75 bucks probably came by it through illegal or shady means. While the gun buyback program grants immunity to those willing to hand over a gun, you can bet that the same protection would be denied to you. If you were to buy one from someone in line, and lets say you were stopped either at the point of purchase or on the way home (or any other time you wanted to just take it out and shoot it) and the cops ran a trace on the gun and found it to be stolen, you would undoubtably be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. What might be worth doing is to set up some kind of demonstration against the buyback to suggest that the program actually might be encouraging burglaries targeting gun thefts. If some scumbag knows someone with guns, and knows he can wait for one of these buyback days to turn in them in for some quick "no questions asked" cash, he might well be encouraged to steal them knowing that his fencing opperation is already secured.

if they do it here i'll be at it in a heartbeat looking for great buys from fools if they are turning in a valuable gun for a 50 gift card they'll sell it for 50 cash in the blink of an eye. Then all 3 of us will be happy them me and the gun going to a loving home. I would also thank fred meyers for making it possible.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top