JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
this is a quote from one of the officers at the event.. made to the tv crew covering the event..."we have never had a gun used in a crime turned in " I saw antiques and family heirlooms, and some junk... there was an original colt peacemaker turned in $5000
a sharps. could not see what make or model, but looked pristine(may have been a clone). "An old german made .22 auto" should have been in a collectors cabinet, not in a scrap bin. If i had more than a week notice i would have scraped up some cash, i would have paid $100(twice the gift card) for the peacemaker!

I don't know if this has been addressed before but has Ceasefire Oregon gotten savvy yet to the legal ability for anyone to approach the 'turn -in' participants and offer them more? Reason is this may be worth a drive to Portland on a turn-in day and see what I can find.

Only about 60 guns were turned in; much to do about nothing.

This article said 244 were turned in.

Here's another quote from the article:
Julee, the volunteer, is a retired physician assistant who regularly would talk to patients about guns in their homes.

As a former healthcare provider, Julee, 68, knows the statistics: More than 30,000 people die annually by gunfire in the U.S., 57 percent by suicide. An average of 72,000 people are treated every year in hospital emergency rooms for nonfatal firearm injuries. In Oregon, 413 people were shot to death in 2009; 341 of those gun deaths were suicides.
Unless the physicians assistant is a certified gun safety instructor they're WAY out of their realm of expertise!

So, if it was a "no questions asked" turn in and someone turned a crime gun they'd never be able to maybe solve a crime?

According to the cop interviewed on KGW last night in all the time they have been doing this program they have never recovered a "crime gun" so that point is moot.

Sessions is even OK with those private gun buyers bargaining on the sidewalk near the event.

"They know what they're doing," Sessions said. "I know some people think, 'Well, gee ... Maybe they'll sell it to gangs,' but no, that's not the case."

That's the quite from a police sgt from Portland

Looks like there was some decent stuff there.

One of his first purchases of the day, a Remington Nylon 66 22-caliber rifle, was for $20. He immediately resold it for $100 to another gun buyer, Darren Campbell of Salem, who recognized the firearm as worth potentially triple what he paid.

They also have a pic of a Colt Official Police revolver that someone bought for $100. They say the barrel script identifies it as a police gun as if they weren't distributed outside of police agencies. Must have lost their identification chart showing it was a Glock. :s0114:

Gun-buying enthusiasts crash firearms 'turn-in' event at Memorial Coliseum | OregonLive.com

I went to the same event last year and dumped a couple of junk Iver-Johnson 5-shot .38 revolvers on the cops. Neither one of them worked and one of them wouldn't even rotate the cylinder. I checked with the gun buyers standing around outside (the cops make them stay quite a ways away from the buy-back area), but nobody there wanted either of my junk guns, so I went ahead and took my gift certificates from the cops. They didn't even bother to check either gun. (I had them both cracked open with a heavy gauge wire loop through the barrel. which was probably why they didn't bother checking to see if they worked or not.).

Most of the guns I saw turned in last year were crap. Old shot-out 22s, some hard-used looking bolt guns, and some junk revolvers like mine. While I was in line, I didn't see any "assault" rifles or automatic pistols turned in. In fact, I really didn't see anything that looked worthwhile being turned in. The gun buyers were doing OK with buying the good stuff, and the cops really didn't mind. I don't have any problem with buy-backs. Some people shouldn't have guns or simply don't want them around. It is their choice to sell them to the cops or not.

Only about 60 guns were turned in; much to do about nothing.

So, if only 10% were of historic significance, that would mean only 6 treasures were lost forever to the furnace. I guess that's OK. sadwalk.gif

Speaking of good deals, a co-worker of mine years ago was moving. He had one firearm, a Marlin Model 60 .22lr. He asked me if I wanted it and I said sure, I offered him some cash but he said just take it off my hands. I will take care of it now and hopefully pass it down to one of my boys. It has the longer barrel magazine tube, the magazine tubes are cut down somewhat now.

I had one just like it back in the 80's when I was a kid. The serial number puts it around 1983, about when I got one similar from K-mart in Eugene with a crappy Tasco 4X scope on it. I sold it to buy a Ruger 10/22 which I still have...now I have the Marlin "back" So, some of these things do come back to you...ya never know!

For those who take the time to get up to the buy back events in the future, please do your best to rescue the old timers, they dont make 'em anymore. Whether you sell to a real collector or keep it for yourself, is a good thing. Hmm, I wonder if NWF should arrange a buyback of our own??

Some history from Wikipedia on Model 60:
During the late-1980s, the capacity of the rifle was reduced to a 15 round maximum limit, to meet New Jersey's firearms law for semi-automatic assault weapons. For a few years in the mid-1980s the Model 60 rifles had both the "last shot hold open" feature and also held 18 rounds in the tube magazine. Those rifles with those two features are among the most sought after Model 60s.:) The redesigned magazine tube was visibly shorter than the barrel, which is how rifles from this period can be easily identified. Then, in the early 2000s the length of the barrel was reduced from 22 to 19 inches (559 to 483 mm), to match the length of the reduced length magazine. This had the effect of reducing the length of the rifle from 40.5 to 37.5 inches (1029 to 953 mm). Non-removable tubular magazine-fed rifles were never subject to the 10 round limit of the Federal Assault Weapons Ban.

For those who take the time to get up to the buy back events in the future, please do your best to rescue the old timers, they dont make 'em anymore. Whether you sell to a real collector or keep it for yourself, is a good thing. Hmm, I wonder if NWF should arrange a buyback of our own??
Again: It's NOT a "buy back" event!! They never owned them in the first place. They use the term to strengthen their case for more gun control to confuse the general population.

To bad the Doctor didnt talk about how over 190,000 people die every year becasue of bad doctors who kill there customers. I wonder why?

Actually it's far more than that!!

Deaths from avoidable medical error more than double in past decade, investigation shows

"The total number of iatrogenic deaths shown in the following table is 783,936. It is evident that the American medical system is the leading cause of death and injury in the United States"

From: Medical system is leading cause of death and injury in US - Health Supreme

"Of the total 323,993 deaths among Medicare patients in those years who developed one or more patient-safety incidents, 263,864, or 81 percent, of these deaths were directly attributable to the incident(s)."

From: In Hospital Deaths from Medical Errors at 195,000 per Year USA

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top