JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Has anyone tried to check a handgun in their baggage on Alaska airlines lately? I am flying to Pittsburgh in 2 weeks, and I would like to take my .22 pistol in a locked case, and in my checked bag. Given all the hysteria about guns lately, I do not know what to expect if I try to check this gun. Has anyone had any recent experience on Alaska (or any airline) with this? Thanks in advance.

Last Oct and Nov out of Spokane and Fairbanks. Easy peasy. Just follow proper procedures and give yourself a few extra minutes. No indication that TSA even inspected my case.

Has anyone tried to check a handgun in their baggage on Alaska airlines lately? I am flying to Pittsburgh in 2 weeks, and I would like to take my .22 pistol in a locked case, and in my checked bag. Given all the hysteria about guns lately, I do not know what to expect if I try to check this gun. Has anyone had any recent experience on Alaska (or any airline) with this? Thanks in advance.

The main thing is do not show up just in time. Look at the TSA site. Then look at the Airlines site, they probably have info on this. It is made to be easy, normally it is if you follow the rules that are clearly listed. The only problem is you are dealing with humans. Many of whom are morons. Now and then you are the unlucky guy who gets there when a moron is there. So no matter how many tell you "I just did this last week and it's simple", get there with Plenty of time to spare. If you follow the rules you "should" get past the TSA easy. Take along something for entertainment once you are past the check in. If you have a problem, DO NOT create a scene, pull out printed copies of the rules and such as you will often be told to do. Just ask for a supervisor and wait for the one with a brain to show up. As long as you are not cutting it close on time, all goes well even when you get some idiot to deal with.

My summer trip this year to Ohio again went well last month. Showed up at the airport with my Sig P365 locked in a hard sided Pelican case with two small padlocks securing it and the keys attached to the lanyard around my neck. I had a new small box of Sig V-crown 124 Grain +P ammo in the Pelican case with the firearm along with 2 empty 10-round mags. I left the 12 round mag at home to avoid any possible issues with a certain city ordinance.

The locked Pelican case was in my checked baggage and I simply told the Agent at the Airline ticket counter that "I have to declare a firearm in my suitcase that is properly unloaded and locked in a hard case." They gave me a Orange form to sign which they asked me to place in my suitcase and on top of the Pelican case.

I then was guided to a TSA Agent who opened and swabbed the entire bag but did not ask me to open the Pelican case. He gave me the all clear and took the bag and put on the conveyor belt heading to the plane.

When I got to my destination I had to pick up the bag from the "oversized" bag area and show my bag claim ticket to an Agent behind the desk in the Oversized / Special Baggage room. This is not how it was in PDX - I got it off the carrousel on my return.

So different Airports handle it differently.

I had some stress at San Francisco (SFO) where a ground stop caused my plane from PDX to be late thereby resulting in a missed connection.

At SFO I communicated to the Agent who rebooked me for another connecting flight that under no circumstances would I be willing to handle my checked bag and that the Airline would have to handle the baggage transfer internally. I wasn't about to get caught in an airport in Commiefornia with my firearm in a checked bag.

On my trip East, the Airline did have a delay with my bag that got rerouted to the wrong airport and because of the special item (Firearm) they would NOT deliver to our Hotel so I had to make an extra trip to the Airport on day 2 of my visit.

This is maybe the 6th time I've flown with a firearm declared in my checked bag and never had any significant issues other than this year's delay due to a missed connection and a thorough inspection in a back room a few years ago.

If you fly very often, I think it's worth getting your TSA Pre-Check Known Traveler Number. Much quicker getting through security without having to remove your belt or shoes.

I did. Locked in case and cabled to suitcase internal frame. No issues with Alaska Airlina. I went out PDX. TSA was another story. Open, suitcase, rummage through stuff, use their bomb swabs, etc. Always time consuming. One time I thought I was going to miss a flight, I got there plenty early. Out of Vegas was smooth. I believe they Xray suitcase. I stood by for five minutes. Agent told if no contact was made i could head to gate. Perfect. PDx has been an issue.

Last Edited:
I did. Locked in case and cabled to suitcase internal frame. No issues with Alaska Airlina. I went out PDX. TSA was another story. Open, suitcase, rummage through stuff, use their bomb swabs, etc. Always time consuming. One time I thought I was going to miss a flight, I got there plenty early. Out of Vegas was smooth. I believe they Cray case. I stood by for five minutes. Agent told if no contact was made i could head to gate. Perfect. PDx has been an issue.
Last week I think it was, Glen Beck relayed a story about this. He had flown somewhere with a shotgun. On the way back he ran into one of the Barney Fife school TSA agents. The story was humorous to listen too. I am sure he was finding nothing humorous about it while it was happening to him. It's why I cringe when I see some say how easy it is and not to worry. It is supposed to be easy if you follow the rules. The problem is every now and then someone gets to be the lucky one who gets a graduate of the Barney Fife academy. It's why the only way to be "safe" is just leave plenty of time. Then when you get through security with a couple hours to kill you can relax.

I am flying next month to South Carolina.
With a handgun .
On Alaska airlines .
I got tsa locks and hard case I will not be taking ammo with me.
The gun I am taking is a gift for my friend .
In South Carolina.
We are going to do the transfer from me to him when I get there.
Lol hopefully it will be a easy trip.

I am flying next month to South Carolina.
With a handgun .
On Alaska airlines .
I got tsa locks and hard case I will not be taking ammo with me.
The gun I am taking is a gift for my friend .
In South Carolina.
We are going to do the transfer from me to him when I get there.
Lol hopefully it will be a easy trip.

I wouldn't use TSA locks. That means anyone with a TSA key can open them (like baggage handlers). I'd use a small padlock with the only key in my pocket. If they want you to open it, they will have you do it and you can be present.

I wouldn't use TSA locks. That means anyone with a TSA key can open them (like baggage handlers). I'd use a small padlock with the only key in my pocket. If they want you to open it, they will have you do it and you can be present.
Ok thanks I thought I needed TSA locks.

Dude, don't you read your prior threads on this same subject?
From the Airline's perspective, there's not much different between your Glock 20/40 and a 22.
I just flew 4 guns and 11 lbs of ammunition to PHL and back with zero hassle. Taking another four long guns, via Alaska Airlines, to Salt Lake pretty soon.

Airline Hassle

Ok thanks I thought I needed TSA locks.
You should have TSA locks on the bag. Supposedly if you do not they will take you off the plane to open the case. The gun case inside you can use your own locks on. Many use some kind of cable lock inside the suitcase too. So if someone opens it they have a harder time walking off with the gun case. Sporting Systems did a little video on this that is well done. Enjoy the trip and let us know how it went!!

Read Alaska's policies. Read TSA's policies. And follow them. It's not a bad idea to have a printout of both. Understand, however, that the actual check-in process is really defined by the airport and not the specific airline. Where specific airlines come into play is if you get an inexperienced/new agent who doesn't know the process. But somebody behind the counter certainly will.

Arrive early and give yourself enough time. You can't check a firearm at the curb. Declare your firearm to the agent and they will give you the magic form to fill out. After that there's usually some variation airport to airport.

In some airports the agent takes your bag and puts it on the belt, just like normal. In these instances TSA may be looking at your bag in back. If your airport does things in this manner, you will want to hang out (not go through Security) for 15-20 minutes in case TSA needs you to open the bag.

In other airports you take your bag to a secondary TSA inspection point and they'll check things with you there. If your airport does this, then you can go ahead and go through security once you're done.

On the opposite end your bag may either be on the general carousel or they may be holding it with the agent at the oversized baggage desk...It just depends so check both places. You'll also want to allow yourself extra time on the return and understand that their process may be a little different than the process at your home airport.

To the issues of what type of locks to use. The way the actual federal law is written would seem to indicate that you should use your own personal locks and only you are to have access. The TSA site used to say similar. But lately it's been updated to say that you can use TSA locks on your gun case. I'm a fan of using my own locks. I really don't want anyone in my case without me present. Which isn't to say they won't cut your locks anyway.:rolleyes:

Be polite, follow the rules and you should be fine. The gun hysteria hasn't changed a thing. Millions of people fly everyday and many of them do so with firearms.

Read Alaska's policies. Read TSA's policies. And follow them. It's not a bad idea to have a printout of both. Understand, however, that the actual check-in process is really defined by the airport and not the specific airline. Where specific airlines come into play is if you get an inexperienced/new agent who doesn't know the process. But somebody behind the counter certainly will.

Arrive early and give yourself enough time. You can't check a firearm at the curb. Declare your firearm to the agent and they will give you the magic form to fill out. After that there's usually some variation airport to airport.

In some airports the agent takes your bag and puts it on the belt, just like normal. In these instances TSA may be looking at your bag in back. If your airport does things in this manner, you will want to hang out (not go through Security) for 15-20 minutes in case TSA needs you to open the bag.

In other airports you take your bag to a secondary TSA inspection point and they'll check things with you there. If your airport does this, then you can go ahead and go through security once you're done.

On the opposite end your bag may either be on the general carousel or they may be holding it with the agent at the oversized baggage desk...It just depends so check both places. You'll also want to allow yourself extra time on the return and understand that their process may be a little different than the process at your home airport.

To the issues of what type of locks to use. The way the actual federal law is written would seem to indicate that you should use your own personal locks and only you are to have access. The TSA site used to say similar. But lately it's been updated to say that you can use TSA locks on your gun case. I'm a fan of using my own locks. I really don't want anyone in my case without me present. Which isn't to say they won't cut your locks anyway.:rolleyes:

Be polite, follow the rules and you should be fine. The gun hysteria hasn't changed a thing. Millions of people fly everyday and many of them do so with firearms.

The TSA specially states to use a key lock only on the gun case

The TSA specially states to use a key lock only on the gun case

Negative. I suspect you stopped reading their statement too soon.

TSA says you can use a key or combination lock, including TSA locks. Here's the excerpt from their site and the link. If you have different (credible) information, then please post the link so we can see it. :)

• Firearms must be unloaded and locked in a hard-sided container and transported as checked baggage only. As defined by 49 CFR 1540.5 a loaded firearm has a live round of ammunition, or any component thereof, in the chamber or cylinder or in a magazine inserted in the firearm. Only the passenger should retain the key or combination to the lock unless TSA personnel request the key to open the firearm container to ensure compliance with TSA regulations. You may use any brand or type of lock to secure your firearm case, including TSA-recognized locks.

Negative. I suspect you stopped reading their statement too soon.

TSA says you can use a key or combination lock, including TSA locks. Here's the excerpt from their site and the link. If you have different (credible) information, then please post the link so we can see it. :)

Great, you quoted from a website and organization that is not well run. If you have not traveled with a firearm recently let's use real word experiences. Firstly, each airline some variation of the TSA rules. You can argue that statement but the airline only needs to meet the minimum TSA standards. Secondly, when I went through the TSA experience in recent weeks the officer stated "You have key locks on the case." LEO wanted key locks. Again, you could argue the TSA web page facts with them.

Credible is a first hand account . I have read the TSA web page and the real world experience is a litte more substantial. When I declare at an airport it takes an additional 5 mins out of my life. For credibility I posted my travel rig with a recent declaration card still in it.

20190926_081118.jpg 20190926_081054.jpg

Great, you quoted from a website and organization that is not well run. If you have not traveled with a firearm recently let's use real word experiences. Firstly, each airline some variation of the TSA rules. You can argue that statement but the airline only needs to meet the minimum TSA standards. Secondly, when I went through the TSA experience in recent weeks the officer stated "You have key locks on the case." LEO wanted key locks. Again, you could argue the TSA web page facts with them.

Credible is a first hand account . I have read the TSA web page and the real world experience is a litte more substantial. When I declare at an airport it takes an additional 5 mins out of my life. For credibility I posted my travel rig with a recent declaration card still in it.

View attachment 620001 View attachment 620002
And you're quoting personnel from an "organization that is not well run." See what I did there?

I have dozens of trips (several recently) with my firearm through at least half a dozen different airports and nobody...not a single agent...has ever questioned me about the COMBINATION locks on my Pelican 1615 Air Case. And the big air case absolutely gets noticed.

Show of hands...who else has ever been told by TSA that they MUST use a key based lock? Anyone?

Moreover...what possible reason would they want a key based lock over a combination lock? There's no difference from a security standpoint. It makes no sense.

Take whatever locks you want and bring a copy of TSA's policy. If anyone says anything to you about locks, ask for a supervisor. And for the love of god ask them why a key based lock matters. Cause I'm dying to hear the logic on this one. :rolleyes:

Have any of you tried to check a gun case on Alaska that exceeds 50lbs? If so, did they let it through without an excess weight fee? I'm heading on a trip next month where I need to take two AR10's and my FNX45 (assuming I can even get all to fit in my Pelican). Trying to avoid bringing a rifle case and handgun case. No way I can get the handgun case into my primary suitcase.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top