JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Since nowadays it seems to take a couple days or so to do a transfer because of the wait time for approval... what is the drill? You both go with the gun and after the paper work is done and the gun is paid for the buyer waits for approval and gets the gun (of course). My question is do you leave the gun at the dealer for pickup by the buyer upon approval? The seller is done after the initial paper work no reason to come back....

Thanks...Ken

This is going to be totally up to the FFL holder you use. If they will let the seller walk with his cash and hold the gun? Great. If they are not willing to do this? Then you have to meet, make the deal, buyer is run, you both show up when the buyer gets the proceed. As always ASK these kind of questions first. An amazing number of people use a dealer for different kinds of things and only after there is a "problem" start asking for policy. Before anything else happens ask them how they do things, make sure it's what you want and the buyer wants.

IMHO...you asked a very good question.

Thank your/our government and the voters.

So what happens if....
You made a deal to sell a firearm. Met with the buyer at the FFL's place of business. You took the buyers money and Went home. So, the FFL held the firearm "pending the clearance" from the government.

Then.....what if.....the government, for whatever reason denied the sale. YES....everyone knows that.....correctly or incorrectly...... it can happen. So....at this point.......we got a problem.

If you left the gun at the FFL's place. Well it forces you to go back and get it. How far do you have to travel and do you have the free time?

Then....
If you take back your firearm from the FFL .......now you have to relist your property for sale. Assuming that you still want to sell it.

Additionally, how would the FFL be compensated for his time? Then again maybe you can make a phone deal to sell the firearm to the FFL?

And, you'll have to figure out how you're going to return the buyer's money (or maybe a partial refund)? What was the terms of the deal? Did you even discuss that with the potential buyer?

Rrrrrright...... I am from the government and I'm here to help.

If it was the government's mistake at some level well ..... LOL. It's just another case of Government inefficiency at doing their job that they agreed to do, in the name of SAFTY.

And if it was a matter..... that a true prohibited person was denied the sale. Then...... thank you for doing your job. Now.....when is the prosecution? In most instances..... it never happens.

if I recall .....there was a supreme court case that because you're forced to fill out Form 4473 prior to taking possession of a firearm.....it's a violation of the fifth. The information (even a lie) will be in admissible

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
Well thanks for all your help here on this subject.....Actually it seems there is NO formal or written in stone way as to how it is done.
Guess we are assuming that none of the involved also did not catch The Plague and kicked off before completing the transaction.

Stay safe, Ken

no help.jpg

If the FFL's have to hold items very long until they get an all clear, transfer fees are going to go up - and understandably so.

IMHO...you asked a very good question.

Thank your/our government and the voters.

So what happens if....
You made a deal to sell a firearm. Met with the buyer at the FFL's place of business. You took the buyers money and Went home. So, the FFL held the firearm "pending the clearance" from the government.

Then.....what if.....the government, for whatever reason denied the sale. YES....everyone knows that.....correctly or incorrectly...... it can happen. So....at this point....,...we got a problem.

if you left the gun at the FFL's place. Well it forces you to go back and get it. How far do you have to travel and do you have the free time?

Then....
If you take back your firearm from the FFL .......now you have to relist your property for sale. Assuming that you still want to sell it.

Additionally, how would the FFL be compensated for his time? Then again maybe you can make a phone deal to sell the firearm to the FFL?

And, you'll have to figure out how you're going to return the buyer's money (or maybe a partial refund)? What was the terms of the deal? Did you even discuss that with the potential buyer?

Rrrrrright...... I am from the government and I'm here to help.

If it was the government's mistake at some level well ..... LOL. It's just another case of Government inefficiency at doing their job that they agreed to do, in the name of SAFTY.

And if it was a matter..... that a true prohibited person was denied the sale. Then...... thank you for doing your job. Now.....when is the prosecution? In most instances..... it never happens.

if I recall .....there was a supreme court case that because you're forced to fill out Form 4473 prior to taking possession of a firearm.....it's a violation of the fifth. The information (even a lie) will be in admissible

Aloha, Mark

The seller also has to go through and pay for a back ground check to get his property back.

I have bought several guns here where seller shipped gun to my FFL (on my dime of course).
Once it arrives it becomes property of FFL so seller is done and it's only me, the guy close to the FFL who has to make 2 short trips.
Nice solution for both parties if both are comfortable w/shipping.

Well thanks for all your help here on this subject.....Actually it seems there is NO formal or written in stone way as to how it is done.

The ATF has a guide for FFL's on how to conduct private transfers.

BATF Document

It is the FFL's where the problem arises. Some restrict to holding it while others refuse to hold it and require both parties to return. Shop around for an FFL that will do the most convenient method for the situation. Also remember if you give them a firearm and return later to pick it up, they will have to do a BGC for you to take possession of your firearm again.

Yep, I think we all miss the old days. Used to really enjoy wheeling and dealing ....took the fun part right out of it.
It has turned into a chore and a lot of time involvement for what used to be enjoyable. WAY too many IF'S now.
Don't forget the good times at The Gun Shows also'

Oh well, guess we will go on.

Stay safe Gents.....Ken

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR