JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I hope this is the right place to ask this question.

I have long wanted a S&W 617 or older .22 cal. S&W revolver. I currently have a Ruger 22/45 MKIII I purchased about one year ago to introduce newbies to the shooting sports. The Ruger has less than 200 rounds through it as ammo shortage kept it low and newbies have been few with the most recent newbie is big on Mossberg 500s.

I have never done any trading so would like information on what sort of trade I might be able to expect using the Ruger as a trade in or whether it might be best to sell the Ruger outright.

I'd sell the Ruger and use the cash to look around for what you want - even if it's out of state.

Unless your prepared to possibly wait a very long time for the right person with the right trade to contact you.

I've always been more successful trading a gun for cash...
...then trading that cash for another gun.
You'll have a much wider selection available that way.

I think I count count on my left hand how many times I was able to privately find a good trade for trade. I usually do as others have said sell one and then look for the other.
A note trade value is often in the eye of the beholder and cash talks when buying and selling.
Trading can be lucrative but requires allot of vested time. I had a trade for trade early last year and it took a month to finalize too much work cash sales work best.

You'll get your best value if you go private party. My experience trying to sell or trade guns through dealers is that the value you get will always, always, benefit the dealer. In a private sale or trade you have much more control over getting what you want for the gun.

I agree with those that suggested selling it. Private party sales are not that difficult, you'll just involve an FFL to do the transfer and BGC. Put it up for sale here, find a buyer, negotiate a price and meet at the FFL to finish the deal. All very simple.

Private party trades are a little more complicated because now the transfer paperwork and BGC have to be done on both parties. That means 2x the transfer and BGC fees (though in a trade most folks just agree to pay their own fees). Still not a big deal though.

If you're inclined, I think a private sale is your best bet, and you'll get the most value out of the deal.

One more option is to sell on consignment - you can decide what you want it to sell for and the dealer takes a fee/percentage for selling it for you.

I had in mind to trade through a gun shop as I am not experienced in horse trading with private parties.

That's why I would sell it and not trade it. Sell it to a private party and you will get the highest value for the gun.

Take it to a dealer and you'll loose 30-50% of the value - especially because you seem unsure of the value of used guns.

Post it with a pic and a price on the classifieds here and you will get offers. Take the best one or sell it to the first person to offer your asking price. Meet at an FFL (in general the BUYER pays the transfer fees unless you state that you will) and let them do the transfer. You walk away with cash.

Look on here for the gun you want or one of the other used sites (although here you have a better chance at a good experience here most likely). Set up a meet at an FFL and buy the gun.

Easy peasy!

Keep an eye on similar guns for a little while and you will establish your average price for a certain gun pretty fast.

If in doubt ask on here, you'll get a wide range of opinions but a lot will be similar - I'd listen to those people;)

What is a typical consignment fee?

If I am buying the revolver from the dealer doing the consignment sale does that help?

I haven't done consignment myself, so I can't say. Some calls to local gun dealers that handle consignments would be your best bet.

As for private sales, at the FFL I use, it's $25 total for the transfer and BGC. So, if I make a private sale, part of the deal is to have either the buyer or seller pay that fee. If I pay it, it's factored into my selling price. But it seems more common that most folks just ask the buyer to pay the transfer fee.

For that particular trade, you should expect to need to add a few hundred dollars. The prices of S&W revolvers, especially the older k-frame .22's has skyrocketed. The Rugers are excellent guns, but they are still in production and lose some value when they are used.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top