JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hi fd15k,

It seems that the District Court Justice didn't realize that "self-defense" might be a "lawful purpose". Or perhaps he desired to throw legal BS in between us and our rights.
Some of them do appear to be coming around though, like Judge Clegg, in Maryland ("... the RIGHT is the only justification needed ...") (This one is too obvious, and should lead to "may issue" falling like apples from a tree in a windstorm!)

I have noticed that the local post office posted § 930, but they didn't show the whole statute - specifically they left out the exceptions which are given in § 930(d)(3). They didn't post the other (postal) statute which supposedly prohibits weapons.

Hi fd15k,

It seems that the District Court Justice didn't realize that "self-defense" might be a "lawful purpose". Or perhaps he desired to throw legal BS in between us and our rights.
Some of them do appear to be coming around though, like Judge Clegg, in Maryland ("... the RIGHT is the only justification needed ...") (This one is too obvious, and should lead to "may issue" falling like apples from a tree in a windstorm!)

I have noticed that the local post office posted § 930, but they didn't show the whole statute - specifically they left out the exceptions which are given in § 930(d)(3). They didn't post the other (postal) statute which supposedly prohibits weapons.

What's more confusing with the USPS, is that mailing of firearms (long guns) is permissible. Also mailing of handguns is permissible for FFL's. One time I missed delivery of a handgun (I am licensed as FFL03), and had to pick it up at the Post Office...

What's more confusing with the USPS, is that mailing of firearms (long guns) is permissible. Also mailing of handguns is permissible for FFL's. One time I missed delivery of a handgun (I am licensed as FFL03), and had to pick it up at the Post Office...

As an FFL, aren't you allowed to possess on Federal/USPS property in business-related activities?

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

I think that firearms through the mail is limited to FFLs: I recently sent one back to Bushmaster for warranty repair and had to send/recieve it through UPS. Though I mailed a .22LR carbine from 29 Palms to my home in 1971, I think that 1986 GCA proscribed the great unwashed from mailing firearms.

Cheers!

Hi fd15k,

That's not just limited to the Federal government... our Sate does it with the "Weapons Free School Zone" sign too, no mention of the exception for CPL holders picking up or dropping off a student.

I think it was in Wenatchee where I saw an entire window stenciled with the "No Firearms Beyond This Point" sign. Fortunately, I have only needed to actually go into a PO once in the last several years so it's not an issue. Still irks me though.

As an FFL, aren't you allowed to possess on Federal/USPS property in business-related activities?

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

It's definitely not in the text of the law that FFL's are allowed to possess on USPS property, unless it goes back to "lawful purposes" again. And besides, FFL 03 is for purpose of collecting, not for business :)

It's definitely not in the text of the law that FFL's are allowed to possess on USPS property, unless it goes back to "lawful purposes" again. And besides, FFL 03 is for purpose of collecting, not for business :)

Maybe it's the distinction between the collector and business licenses... but a gun shop owner I know told me that he can carry in any state or on USPS property as long as he was doing something business-related. As a small business owner, he's pretty much always doing something business related.

I'm not an FFL, a lawyer, never played either on TV, nor have I ever stayed at a Holiday Inn Express though, so I'm not the one to ask :-D

Maybe it's the distinction between the collector and business licenses... but a gun shop owner I know told me that he can carry in any state or on USPS property as long as he was doing something business-related. As a small business owner, he's pretty much always doing something business related.

I'm not an FFL, a lawyer, never played either on TV, nor have I ever stayed at a Holiday Inn Express though, so I'm not the one to ask :-D

Here is an old thread on the subject :

CCW in Post Office for FFL holder? - THR

Consensus seems to be that FFL's can't carry either, as carry is not a lawful purpose currently, but shipping is... weird :) I suggest you tell that gun shop owner to double check on the laws ;)

I think there was a distinction between "can" and "does" here, as he's about as much a fan of going to the PO as I am :)

Note that USPS parking lots are part of the restriction. And while "can" stems from the fact the law is unenforceable, I hope nobody really ever tries that until we have the law changed :)

Many urban Post Offices "blend" into the city. One could think he is parking / being on public, while in fact it is USPS.

Oh, gotcha. That PO has a tiny little parking lot which is usually full... the few times in my life I've been there I've parked on the street.

I don't know why POs end up being such a big deal for so many people. I tended to avoid them anyway long before I got a CPL. With places like the UPS Store, many of which have mailboxes for cheaper than USPS and take common carrier deliveries, have all the same services, sell stamps and metered postage, and are generally far less busy and far more friendly, I don't see the point of ever going into a PO.

Here in Vancouver there are two PO's I sometimes go to. The old one in downtown. I park on the street even though there is a handicapped spot in the lot. At the newer, main one I also park on the street and walk across the lot to the entrance even though there are handicapped spots in the lot.
In both cases I leave my handguns in the car locked up.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top