JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Its nice that you're introducing you son to firearms at a young age, but you have to understand that the stores do not have to sell you a handgun, or let your son handle them. I would suggest you find a child friendlier gun shop so he can handle them, or you can search the classifieds for a firearm.

It's not discrimination either! It's simply their way of doing business. Their business, their rules. Find another shop to buy from. I bought a nice single action .22 pistol for my 12 yr old grandson from a friend, no need to pay new prices either.

No.... that's actually the literal definition of "discrimination."

I always thought buying a gun for your child was fine. I kinda figured that was the targeted market for the little cricket .22's

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

You can not provide a link because there is not one because it is not illegal. Here I will provide 2 for you.

ATF Online - Firearms - Frequently Asked Questions - Unlicensed Persons
Q: May a parent or guardian purchase firearms or ammunition as a gift for a juvenile (less than 18 years of age)?
Yes. However, possession of handguns by juveniles (less than 18 years of age) is generally unlawful. Juveniles generally may only receive and possess handguns with the written permission of a parent or guardian for limited purposes, e.g., employment, ranching, farming, target practice or hunting.

[18 U.S.C. 922(x)]

Here is the actual text of that law, the section is "x" toward the end of the page,
18 U.S.C. § 922 : US Code - Section 922: Unlawful acts

I don't spend my money in shops that get "spooked" by following the law. There is NO law against a parent by guns for their kids. There are too many GOOD shops that know the law AND understand it that are HAPPY to help out in these cases.

Does your shop sell Cricket or Chipmunk rifles? Who do you think the #1 market for those are.......... Kids. Since kids are not legally allowed to buy them parents have to come in and say I am looking at a XXX for my child................

Different laws for rifles and handguns, apples and oranges, people keep bringing up the cricket and chipmunk rifles means little regarding the OP, the law referenced is handgun specific law, hence it's title "Youth Handgun Safety Act"

Shops have rights too, what I was saying is that the shop has every right NOT sell to you with the knowledge it is for a minor. People can claim discrimination all they want, but the store is protecting it's own interests as it has a right to. It is not denying sale based on appearance, religious beliefs, etc, it is denying based on the strong possibility of future ramifications. Regardless of the law if ANYTHING EVER happened we all know the shop would get crucified by the media for selling when it was known to be for a minor, let alone the BATFE or local DA. Right or wrong the legal and PR battle they would end up in could put them out of business, can't blame them for playing it safe. Any time a gun and child death are linked the media has a field day and it forces the Gov't to "do something" or face corruption, or "hiding something" frenzy to begin. It's the Mother hens, soccer moms, liberal media, etc that are ruining our industry more than the shops, the shops have to protect themselves from annihilation by "society" as much as we protect ourselves from thugs, rapists, and other criminals.

Just like not disclosing your CCW in a traffic stop, don't share that the purchase is for a minor and it is not an issue, OR find a shop that does not care as is your right, but blaiming the shop is not right. If not for all the shops the industry would be in serious trouble. The whole situation is rediculous when we all have to question everyone with regard to how the media will spin something...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top