Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Gun store refuses to sell at inflated prices

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by jonn5335, Jan 16, 2013.

1. jonn5335

jonn5335 Longview Active Member

I was recently browsing a small gun shop that will remain nameless. As I was browsing I burnt my finger on the price tag of a wasr-10 for a cool $999 and a run of the mill blue on wood ruger 10/22 at a killer deal of $459. I ask the feller working in the shop at what price would he would buy or consign one of my black weapons for. His response was "We aren't into that whole price scalping thing like everyone else. If you are looking to double your money, you're at the wrong shop. We are honest people and would never take advantage of people in a situation like this." I just smiled, told him thanks and went on my way. I'm glad there are still some honest gun shops out there. :) Sorry for the rant

2. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I guess you are using sarcasm? Cause a 10-22 sells for about 200 per panic and theres 6 of them sitting on a rack in Salem for $229.00 right now.

Nightcrawler, RICKRWS, j4545 and 9 others like this.
  3. Mauserk98k

Mauserk98k Lakewood Member

Screw that...should have wrote which shop it is! so many shops did this and its BS that they are trying to get every last pennie out of us. i seen a place that was selling 500 rounds of 7.62 by 39 for $260 which is crap. to me it seems these shops don't really care which ever way things end up with these up coming law changes that may come through..... as long as they can cash out and retire

Glock Jock, Cooliorz, RICKRWS and 3 others like this.
  4. Swedish K

Swedish K SW Washington Moderator Staff Member

Being that the OP is in Longview I would venture a guess that it was at Bob's but I could be mistaken - haven't set foot in there for over 6 months so I don't know where their prices stand. That said, if it is in Longview/kelso the options you have are the 3 or 4 pawn shops, wally world, or bob's (at least that I know of).
    Mauser - should have seen the price on 9mm reloads at clark county a week or so ago - $300 for 400 rounds - same as they wanted for the .308 reloads...

5. jonn5335

Yes, I was being sarcastic Mark.

Mauser: I have done business with the owner of the shop multiple times and he is usually a more than fair and decent guy. I can understand him needing to mark up his prices drastically due to the fact the may not get any merchandise for a long while and he has bills to pay as well. What I did'nt like was the newer young feller talking down to me, not knowing that I have done thousands of dollars worth of business there and trying to buy my firearms at half of the msrp while they are selling theirs for more than double msrp. I am not trying to get the kid fired. I did not talk to the owner but the young feller will drive away his customers with the way he treats them.

Swede: No, it was not Bob's. I'm not trying to ruin a shop's reputation or customer base.

6. SturgeonSlayer

SturgeonSlayer St.Helens Active Member

Jonn you don't by chance work for uncle pete do ya ?

7. SVT-ROY

SVT-ROY Tigard Resident Beretta guru

I have to throw a shout out for tactical ammo out of St helens, there 200% solid. Grabbed 50 boxes of 7.62x39 for 300! They could have raped, but stayed true. I will be supporting them now and when the madness dies down.

Glock Jock and (deleted member) like this.
  8. coyote223

coyote223 NW Oregon Stamp Collector,,,

Being that there are very few gun shops in Longview, that pretty much narrows it down. :bluelaugh:

9. xlsbob

xlsbob coos county Platinum Supporter Platinum Supporter

was in a gun shop in North Bend, OR friday. He had 50 round boxes of Black Hills 223 for $50. Glad I load my own 223.

10. jonn5335

No

11. omenwolf

omenwolf Oregon Active Member

There is another shop in Gresham which I won't name either where the lines are long and all the good stuff is gone. They are not gouging on most of their stuff I got a used glock gen3 22 for 350, but when I asked about extra mags they said they were $50!!! I was like really!?!?! And they are almost all used mags, they had them before the madness. But still jumping the price anyway. Oh well i was glad to get the g22 for a good price at least.

12. Bulletsrrfriend

Bulletsrrfriend Longview Member

That small gun shop you were at is not selling at inflated prices. The prices are going up because of one of the features of capitalism called supply and demand. Once a business sells all of their lower priced stock they have to pay a higher price for new stock due to the low supply of the product in demand. They can't continue to sell at the lower price and take a loss. They have not changed their mark up, their buy cost has gone up. For you information the young man behind the counter was not talking down to you. He was politely stating that if you were looking to sell one of your black weapons to them that you would be better off going somewhere else because they would not pay an inflated price for a used firearm.

13. omenwolf

omenwolf Oregon Active Member

But the catch with that statement is that most of the manufactures have nort raised their prices. It's mostly the retailers jacking he prices, like the one I mentioned. They have had boxes and boxes of used mags. I have seen them well before firearmageddon (quoting TNP)
    I have no problem with capitalism or the supply and demand chain. But if people and retailers don't start coming to their senses, these prices will become the new standard.

Nwcid, coyoteman5, Glock Jock and 3 others like this.
  14. Whitey375

Whitey375 Eugene, Oregon Active Member

Anyone know of a non gouging shop around Eugene? Because I will NEVER go into SM, Baron's Den, Mazama, or Oak Grove again, even if they are the only places who have what I want. Thinking I will just rely on BiMart and Cabelas for steady pricing from now on.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2

15. samuelm16

samuelm16 se pdx Well-Known Member

You must get those special 10/22's then the ones that need to be marked way up id hope you are not tricking any fool into actually paying 250 more on a gun than bi mart is selling them for

16. knuckle Head

knuckle Head southeast Well-Known Member

Yeah I was waiting for the punch line as well

17. Blue Devil PA

Blue Devil PA Boise Active Member

Unfortunately the few places that arent taking advantage are the bigger retailers. Everything I have bought in the past four weeks have at pre-crazy prices. This includes mags, rifle and ammo. The small mom & pop places seem to be among the worst offenders, not to leave out Cheaper than Dirt and others. I am especially disappointed in the the smaller retailers since I have deliberately spent more money per transaction to support those places and the local economy, now when the times get tough, these vultures show their true colors. I suggest politely saying something to the counter worker/owner that this is not the way to build customer loyalty. I know I would never set foot in many of the local shops again.

18. Scott

Scott Battle Ground Well-Known Member

First there is not a shortage. Many distributors are holding on and raising prices. There is no way they sold every AR and every round of ammo in a month. Two months ago you could have bought millions of rounds and stores had AR's they had sitting there for months.
    Worst part is people are following suit like cheaper than dirt eighty dollar mags and a thousand dollars for a case of ammo. Week I will remember who these people are and never buy or sell to them again. Six hundred dollar DPMS for eighteen hundred. Screw that. I hope many get get stuck with stuff that bought and are trying to flip. There's going to be no ban and when things get back to normal I will buy. I have a lot of cash I want to spend but not on some nut case who wants triple what something is worth. Oh by the way I have a hundred pmags for a hundred each... People I know pay normal price....

Good luck

19. Squidly

Squidly Sandy Active Member

Unfortunately, all of what you say is true. Business is business and everybody has to make a living. But as always, I will be showing my support - or lack thereof - with my wallet. It will take some, but this is self correcting problem.

20. Cuthbert Allgood

Cuthbert Allgood Clark County, WA Well-Known Member

brightwater ventures is another honorable place. not a single thing in there was marked up with an over inflated price.