JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Example.........The Gun Room.

For years Warren has had a well earned reputation for being over priced and just generally ornery. Yet he has outlasted COUNTLESS other shops and stores...in anti-gun Portland no less. I won't do business with him, but I do have to admire that he is still here.

I don't get how he does it, but if someone can figure it out, they can get rich selling that business model to others. :D

-E-

I acculay went into the gun room for the first time today. I did have some outrageous prices, but he was also right in the ball park for alot of the guns. It seems like he is more of a gun collector then a gun sales men. But his store seems to be set up with good selection and on guns he dosnt want to keep(or dosnt think they are worth anything) they are a decent price. I deffently got the arrory part but he deffently knows what he has. Even if the price tags are mixed around a bit lol

I acculay went into the gun room for the first time today. I did have some outrageous prices, but he was also right in the ball park for alot of the guns. It seems like he is more of a gun collector then a gun sales men. But his store seems to be set up with good selection and on guns he dosnt want to keep(or dosnt think they are worth anything) they are a decent price. I deffently got the arrory part but he deffently knows what he has. Even if the price tags are mixed around a bit lol

Ask him about Glock next time you go there. Bring a chair and recording device.

-E-

It is frustrating. I've seen some doozies.
i am pretty lucky, a friend of mine owns our local gun store and even if I don't get a family discount, his prices are more than fair. I've seen some great buys on most of his used guns.

Gone are the good old days where the good'ol boys would sit around the pot bellied stove and jaw over a hot cuppa and in time make a deal. Now it's business is business and that's it.

Honestly, of the two, I'm looking just to do business. I'm informed and know what I am after long before I make a purchase. I do not need or want to hear some local idiot's thoughts on politics, the latest nutbar conspiracy theory, why my selection of firearm is all wrong, or worse (which has happened multiple times) treating a female family member like crap or making a crack about ethnic heritage. That nonsense is not "value added".

That's why I gave up on local gunshops well over a decade and a half ago. First was online buys and transfers through the least moronic kitchen table FFL. Now that I have an FFL, I can handle it all myself, if it s a Title I item. My FFL is a side business only and the business model is basically "Lowest transfer price in the county, zero BS."

Our local gun stores and their pricing ain't that bad or far off from what I see online....
So I either may be lucky or have a different outlook than many in this thread.

I like going to a gun store and having a face to face interaction with the owner or clerks...
Even getting into a conversation with other customers can be fun.
This usually happens to me at Greene's Gun Shop ( The Hawken Shop ) in Oak Harbor...
Its a fun store that has both muzzleloading and modern firearms and goodies.
Now with that said...its a small shop and yes the prices can be a little higher than what I find elsewhere..be it online or at a bigger store.

But...
The service and attitude at Greene's is top notch and worth the extra money spent.
Plus they carry some things you just can't get elsewhere...unless online , then pay shipping , and wait till it arrives...
I can get the item now and put some money in a local store's pocket..and help some folks stay employed...that is also important to me.
Again for me...I like the personal interaction at Greene's...it is worth more than any dollar amount to me.

Now as I said at the beginning of my post...
I may be lucky here or just have a different outlook...( Used to that idea ...:D )
And I have been to many a gun shop where the attitude ( both store staff and customers ) or pricing was way outta line and made me not want to shop there...so I can see both view points.
Andy

Can someone please exsplain to me why mom and pop gun stores and pawn shops most always have there used guns at msrp or slightly below.

I understand that they have to make money. But its pretty crazy when you go into a pawn shop and see $99 walmart special for $149.99. I also understand that some guns do appreciate. But the Turkish made shot gun from a company thats not even in buissness anymore is not a good deal at 5% off msrp .

Do they not understand most firearms will sell used at wholesale cost?

In the case of Pawn Shops they will usually negotiate (a little) but I think they price their firearms to leave room for those who might be wanting to add a trade in to the deal. Used car lots are the same story. By having the item marked up well above their cost they have room to give you more for your trade.

Thankfully we have the internet to buy new guns reliably and easy ways to compare prices. On inexpensive firearms the FFL fee might kill the deal, but for the vast majority of firearms the internet will always yield a much better deal.

NW armory is an exception on some new firearms. On occasion with their "on sale" firearms, I have found them to be cheaper than the best shipped price I could find online after factoring in the FFL fees. Cabela's is another exception if you have them price match local retailers or online prices and use discount gift cards. I have had Cabela's price match NW Armory (who had the best price anywhere) and used discount gift cards to get an even better deal.

On line purchases of used firearms is a whole different animal that I haven't dealt with yet. If the firearm is used I want to see it in person before handing over payment. Person to person is almost always going to net you the best deal on a used firearm. It just means you might have to wait for the right deal to come around.

The local guys are depending on customer's who have the extra money to spend on the mark up. New Seasons, Whole Foods, etc finds costumers like this and I guess the gun shops do too.

Yes i understand that ... What i don't understand is used guns being at new prices. Like you should be able to pick up a decent savage modle 10 for about 250. Pawn shops would want 349.99 and let it sit on the wall for a year or more. Offer em any less then 350 and they get upset cuz im the one being unfair.
I watched a Savage bolt action in 30-30 sit on the shelf at Tigard Pawn for years with out a price drop. It was priced around $330 and was in average shape for an old firearm. It did finally sell though.

Our local gun stores and their pricing ain't that bad or far off from what I see online....
So I either may be lucky or have a different outlook than many in this thread.

I like going to a gun store and having a face to face interaction with the owner or clerks...
Even getting into a conversation with other customers can be fun.
This usually happens to me at Greene's Gun Shop ( The Hawken Shop ) in Oak Harbor...
Its a fun store that has both muzzleloading and modern firearms and goodies.
Now with that said...its a small shop and yes the prices can be a little higher than what I find elsewhere..be it online or at a bigger store.

But...
The service and attitude at Greene's is top notch and worth the extra money spent.
Plus they carry some things you just can't get elsewhere...unless online , then pay shipping , and wait till it arrives...
I can get the item now and put some money in a local store's pocket..and help some folks stay employed...that is also important to me.
Again for me...I like the personal interaction at Greene's...it is worth more than any dollar amount to me.

Now as I said at the beginning of my post...
I may be lucky here or just have a different outlook...( Used to that idea ...:D )
And I have been to many a gun shop where the attitude ( both store staff and customers ) or pricing was way outta line and made me not want to shop there...so I can see both view points.
Andy
I agree with this when the gun store is a friendly place and you feel good about paying a little more to support them. Insult to injury occurs when the high priced local shop has less than pleasant employees (those shops do exist).

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top