Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Gun store lay-a-way...

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by PMKN_PI, Nov 28, 2009.

1. PMKN_PI

PMKN_PI Milwaukie, Oregon, United States Active Member

Do most shops offer lay-a-way, so I can make some payments on a rifle/pistol before I receive it?

2. glockguy

glockguy Albany Oregon Well-Known Member

Lot of them Do.. Around here anyways But its like 10 percent down and you pay the rest off in 90 days.

3. PMKN_PI

Dang. Was hoping could get more than 90 days lol

4. Bello425

Bello425 Vancouver Well-Known Member 2016 Volunteer

Is it just Southern OR stores? Anyone know any stores in the Portland/Vancouver area?

5. yotehunter

yotehunter north west Active Member

the gunbroker in tigard clackamas and woodburn will do it

6. PMKN_PI

on terms longer than 90 days?

7. PlayboyPenguin

PlayboyPenguin Pacific Northwest Well-Known Member 2016 Volunteer

There standard terms are 6 weeks. Of course it depends on wht you are buying and how much you put dow. I have been given much longer before on a purchase.

8. jeddedia

jeddedia Wilsonville, Oregon, United States Member

I'll chime in. We give 30 days, and there is a reason for this. People forget (I know how can you gorget you're buying a gun:huh:) and the gun that I've already paid for sits there waiting on this dude who says he'll be back or call in to make payments. Right now the count in my vault of guns on layaway that have been forgotten is at 12! With 30 day terms it motivates the buyer more so than the attitude of "I've got 90 days to pay it off".
    Not that we're trying to make them buy it faster, but what's the point of taking it off the shelf for retail sale when a guy only puts $50 down on it and never comes back?! We do work with our customers and I call them to remind all the time but it's the same story every time, "I'll be in tomorrow", "Give me an extra 90 days", "I'm not ready to pay for it you don't have finance charges right?".

I just gets too much to deal with, and too much money tied up in product that's simply not moving.

Just my two cents for what it's worth.:D

9. glockguy

glockguy Albany Oregon Well-Known Member

Well albany Coins guns an Jewelry Lets you do 20 a month till you pay it off.. but alot of people here dont care for them soo yea

10. philmccan

philmccan Lake Stevens, wa New Member

Thanks jeddedia for that point of view. Never really thought of it from your side of the counter.

11. Gunner69

Gunner69 Hillsboro Member

I know that when I bought my AR from Keith's he did a lay-a-way type set up.

12. PMKN_PI

Any smokin' deals on forgotten lay-a-way guns? :D

13. Throckmorton

Throckmorton Florence,Ore ah gone Well-Known Member

same in the furniture biz,you hold an item you couldhave sold 5 times for someone who never shows and never answers phone calls.IT's the minority that hurts the majority.

14. husker

husker portland Active Member

Layaway plans use to be they way people bought most big items but when it became easier to get credit cards the layaway kind of disapeared. Now with the way things are layaway is starting to come back in some stores. Maybe not gun stores now but it might with people not using credit cards as much.

15. rusobr2

rusobr2 prineville,or Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

the ffl sellout here in prineville that i posted a while back is more then happy to give you 30 days, on all the items that he has on sale,but if your going to take up to 90 days he has to put it at orig. price-yup ! even me. he is my gun guy ,but like i know what he means --he's still a business !! and once it comes off the shelf-- no one with cash can buy it-just my thoughts.

steven