JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Yeah I know what you mean WAYNO. Here's a funny story that happened to me many years ago while I was taking a couple of vacation days from my job. I was way down on the bottom of 1stAve in Seattle just walking around and peering into windows along the store fronts. While peering into a place that happened to be one of the rescue missions a gentleman came outside and engaged me in conversation. Now mind you my regular job had me working in the dairy industry. I had lived up here in Skagit county at the time at least 10 years and I had taken to wearing the clothes of the local working man. Unknown to me that day my attire also matched some of those who were the down and out of the local community. After a short but pleasant chat he invited me inside for a service and a hot meal to steel me against the cold night that was on the horizon.

I gotta tell y'all I was quite taken aback. I told him thanks for the offer but it ain't what it looks like! I told him I was on vacation and where I was from we all dressed much like I was dressed.

Weird. Similar to a few other experiences I had down Seattle way the last 40+years chances are I did what I usually would. I jumped in my truck and headed home.

I remember an appointment I had with a Japanese man in Sacramento.

He wanted to buy a $450,000 rental house (This was the 80's).

I saw him pull up in a oxidized old Chevy wagon, got out wearing blue work pants, and had a ring around is head as if he had been wearing a hard hat.

"Oh yeah, fer shur", I thought to myself............

Come to find out, his "verifiable" income (he said he actually made more) was $167,500...................per month.......................:)

I learned one of lifes BEST lessons that day:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

That reminds me of a story my step father used to tell. His family owned a Buick dealership many many
years ago. One day a dirty old farmer came in and absolutely no one would help him. My SF went over
and the man not only bought a car from him, he pulled cash out of his pocket to buy it. And he came
back every two years and bought a brand new one, and would deal with no one but my SF.

I have never been on the sellers side of the counter but I bet it is every bit as frustrating knowing how lame the general public is , especially the ones who know everything think the gun shop is their second home.....
I don't sell guns but I do peddle ammo at quite a few guns shows. There are a few frustrations. First is people who get mad at me about ammo prices. I am not getting rich. Higher ammo prices might make the boss man a few more bucks and might slow the pace at which ammo sells. Beyond that the only way I benefit, if you can call it that, is that I save a few bucks because I can no longer afford to burn through ammo on the weekend. If I could afford ammo I wouldn't be working weekends at a gun show. Second major frustration is when a guy with foreign accent looks at me like I would be better off working for Ceasefire because I have never heard of a Sharps 482 grain 62-90 tooti frooti sub sonic hollow point full metal jacket +p that was designed for his Uncle Lous zip gun in the Tahitian war of 1923. I thought I knew alot about firearms before working in this business but there is A LOT to learn. As long as the guy behind the counter is willing to give an honest "I don't know" it is worth it to give him a break. He is probably striving to have the same level of knowledge as most of the guys who know what they're talking about.

That Tahitian war was brutal! LOL!!!

My best crap salesman tale happened back in the early '90s. I went to Ron Tonkin Chevrolet and stopped by a'54 Corvette. When I asked the sales person sitting there how much it was he sneered an said I couldn't afford it!
Well......perhaps not but I could afford the nice Datson that I bought the next day! Even more fun when I called the guys manager and related our little discussion of the day before. Manager about had a stroke, apologized and said if I ever came in again problem guy wouldn't be there!

I try not to get angry with gun counter guys. I assume that they're idiots when I walk in. I do my research before going and almost always know what I want when I get there!;)

The phrase "I don't know" some guys are incapable of saying. I really hate it when you ask
a question from a sales person and they give you some BS answer. It must be an ego thing
with some guys. I have been around guns for a long time. I have shot rifle and pistol
competition for 30 plus years. I started reloading in 1978. I know a little about certain
types of firearms. But the longer I am around shooting the more I realize there is a whole
lot I do not know about guns and shooting.
Shooters from different disciplines are a wealth of knowledge. I have learned a lot from
competition shooters. The majority of them are happy to share their knowledge.

That Tahitian war was brutal! LOL!!!

My best crap salesman tale happened back in the early '90s. I went to Ron Tonkin Chevrolet and stopped by a'54 Corvette. When I asked the sales person sitting there how much it was he sneered an said I couldn't afford it!
Well......perhaps not but I could afford the nice Datson that I bought the next day! Even more fun when I called the guys manager and related our little discussion of the day before. Manager about had a stroke, apologized and said if I ever came in again problem guy wouldn't be there!

I try not to get angry with gun counter guys. I assume that they're idiots when I walk in. I do my research before going and almost always know what I want when I get there!;)

This reminds me of my first car buying experience. I saved for years as I lived in the country as a kid and I started bucking hay at 12 and helping farmers with anything they needed a hand with and saving as much as I could. At 16 I was ready and had my license and a wad of cash in a nice rubber band and drove my moms car to the dealership to buy myself a Datson pickup.
They would not even acknowledge me and I went to the dealership my dad advised me on as he has always bought a new car from them every couple years. So I planned to pick out my truck and call my dad to fill out papers once I had picked out my pickup. Well I had to call him and say "I cannot even get anyone to let me in any trucks". He came down and I wanted to hurt someone when the manager went running over to my dad and greeting him so warmly it made me want to puke.
Then came the "I am only here since I sent my son to pick out a truck after he has saved for years and he called to tell me nobody here would help".
Well gosh after that I was suddenly the king. Salesmen all over noticed me. My dad said "you are not getting that truck here" so we left and went to buy my truck at another shop.
To me I think that it pretty well sums up how much salesmen assume about you at any place. They lost a cash sale for a new truck and sales regularly to my dad who still buys a new jeep every year or two..No idea why and gave up trying to figure that man out long ago. I guess he does cause he worked hard all his life and just can.
However that went down I still have awesome memories of pulling up to school in my brand new Datson and feeling like a king. I still miss that truck decades later. Those things ran like a champ.

I don't sell guns but I do peddle ammo at quite a few guns shows. There are a few frustrations. First is people who get mad at me about ammo prices. I am not getting rich. Higher ammo prices might make the boss man a few more bucks and might slow the pace at which ammo sells. Beyond that the only way I benefit, if you can call it that, is that I save a few bucks because I can no longer afford to burn through ammo on the weekend. If I could afford ammo I wouldn't be working weekends at a gun show. Second major frustration is when a guy with foreign accent looks at me like I would be better off working for Ceasefire because I have never heard of a Sharps 482 grain 62-90 tooti frooti sub sonic hollow point full metal jacket +p that was designed for his Uncle Lous zip gun in the Tahitian war of 1923. I thought I knew alot about firearms before working in this business but there is A LOT to learn. As long as the guy behind the counter is willing to give an honest "I don't know" it is worth it to give him a break. He is probably striving to have the same level of knowledge as most of the guys who know what they're talking about.

That was me asking for .475 Wildey Magnum.

Nobody seems to carry it.

elsie

I was at LowPriceGuns a couple of months ago and there were a couple of sales staff from Wade's in there. It was refreshing to see them making an effort to educate themselves about the products they would otherwise be advising on at their location. I fully support gun sales people trying to make themselves better.

At Keith's in Gresham, only thing they ever do is answer my questions and provide great advice that is relevant to my shopping goal. The U.S. Guns on SW Barbur is a good place for questions & normal answers, too.

About all I ask of a lgs clerk is to hand me what I want to look at. For expertise I turn to Gun Tests magazine. The glossies all seem to promote the 'flavor of the month' weapon, and their take on things can be swayed by advertising.

If you are looking for a "Jeff Cooper" or "Elmer Keith" behind the counter at (insert lgs name here), you may be seriously disappointed.

To be fair, however, I have gotten excellent service (read: hand me the 4" Ruger GP100 please) at Sportsman's Warehouse in Medford.

I will say that I went to Fishermans yesterday and had forgotten who even works during the day. The young guy there is great to deal with. I only wanted .380 ammo but they had .22lr federal target grade bricks as well.

I went in and the young guy greeted me as I have not seen him or been in during the day in a long time. He is a solid guy behind the counter. No BS answers and has always been very cool to deal with. So I have to give it up after not even remembering he worked there. Solid guy with good customer service...I feel the need to give a good employee their props after all the complaining here!
I started wondering if I should head in there at all anymore but I gave it a shot and now I will simply go in when that guy is there during the day.

Well, I get good info, or used to get better info rather, on Sniper's Hide. We had a small group on there that all shot in the military in some fashion and are still into marksmanship and tend towards some of the better gear. Generally with the good stuff, you don't get smoke blow up your rear.

I deal with a lot of factories straight out online, my only dealer is an NFA dealer I'm sure many of you may know as well, Chip, and I sometimes purchase handguns from The Marksman, rifle parts from Rainier Arms and NODs from TNVC. The (most of the) factories, Chip, The Marksman, Rainier and TNVC have never blown smoke. Great people, straight up to deal with.

Rainier has gone out of their way to make a different kind of "store" and they have also gone out of their way to help me get what I needed, as well as have work done for me by professionals. Their machinist/welder is a Boeing employee who does the work part time. Almost invisible welds.

TNVC (online) is the only place for NODs IMO. Period. They took a $900+ hit for me and KNEW about it. Got me the best 14's I've ever seen too, and have gone out of their way to get me rare parts.

Marksman in Puyallup just hasn't blown smoke. If I ask a question and they don't know, they'll tell me. But I've been going in there for years, I know my stuff so maybe they know that and know it won't help their sales. I usually try to buy out of the mil/police case anyway.

Chip is just a no BS NFA dealer in Snohomish. Great deals, he can usually best my veteran discounts that I get through manufacturers with his dealer discount --I think he only makes a set amount per transfer and I've only been able to get a slightly better deal on a less expensive can once. He's gone well out of his way to order stuff for me before (including right now) he's expedient and cheap, in fact, I've never bought a can FROM him, only THROUGH him. But great guy nonetheless. Last time I found out he even fronted me $2000 and ordered my cans before I sent him the cash to get them here faster. Wow, but I've bought several cans from him in the past so I guess he knew I wasn't pulling his leg.

For Cerakoting, I only use GH Coatings here in WA. Excellent deals, especially if you negotiate, get some more work done and disassemble and reassemble everything yourself (though he can do that too it's cheaper to do it yourself) pays attention to detail, preps properly and coats it properly. Phenomenal work, it's a true finish, not a paint job. Oh, and he went to the school too.

Oh, and Natchez for loading gear, powder and bullets. They got me 8000 SS109 for normal prices and free shipping when everything went to crap recently, along with a 9L Hornady US cleaner for $399 shipped and 500 free 10mm 155gr. XTP bullets. Same for powder when it went to crap, got 20lbs., 10ea. of two types of the "good stuff".

Part of not getting jerked around and getting good deals, for me, has to do with forming relationships with these companies. Using them more than once, finding a good dealer and sticking with him can sometimes pay off in the end. Having a contact you know that you regularly interact with at these places helps too. Above are my regulars and they've served me well for years when others have come and gone.

There are other great dealers around this area as well (and a few bad ones too). Try 'em out. But gunshows are the worst, like carnival people with firearms for sale. I've heard it all at one show or another in my past when I used to go.

Well, I get good info, ......................................................... But gunshows are the worst, like carnival people with firearms for sale. I've heard it all at one show or another in my past when I used to go.

This commercial brought to you by Billy Bob's Shootin' Stuff............:D

:s0111:

It's always great to hear about good businesses................:D

And your comment about "Carnival People......." is great..:cool::D:)

Well, I get good info, or used to get better info rather, on Sniper's Hide. We had a small group on there that all shot in the military in some fashion and are still into marksmanship and tend towards some of the better gear. Generally with the good stuff, you don't get smoke blow up your rear.

I deal with a lot of factories straight out online, my only dealer is an NFA dealer I'm sure many of you may know as well, Chip, and I sometimes purchase handguns from The Marksman, rifle parts from Rainier Arms and NODs from TNVC. The (most of the) factories, Chip, The Marksman, Rainier and TNVC have never blown smoke. Great people, straight up to deal with.

Rainier has gone out of their way to make a different kind of "store" and they have also gone out of their way to help me get what I needed, as well as have work done for me by professionals. Their machinist/welder is a Boeing employee who does the work part time. Almost invisible welds.

TNVC (online) is the only place for NODs IMO. Period. They took a $900+ hit for me and KNEW about it. Got me the best 14's I've ever seen too, and have gone out of their way to get me rare parts.

Marksman in Puyallup just hasn't blown smoke. If I ask a question and they don't know, they'll tell me. But I've been going in there for years, I know my stuff so maybe they know that and know it won't help their sales. I usually try to buy out of the mil/police case anyway.

Chip is just a no BS NFA dealer in Snohomish. Great deals, he can usually best my veteran discounts that I get through manufacturers with his dealer discount --I think he only makes a set amount per transfer and I've only been able to get a slightly better deal on a less expensive can once. He's gone well out of his way to order stuff for me before (including right now) he's expedient and cheap, in fact, I've never bought a can FROM him, only THROUGH him. But great guy nonetheless. Last time I found out he even fronted me $2000 and ordered my cans before I sent him the cash to get them here faster. Wow, but I've bought several cans from him in the past so I guess he knew I wasn't pulling his leg.

For Cerakoting, I only use GH Coatings here in WA. Excellent deals, especially if you negotiate, get some more work done and disassemble and reassemble everything yourself (though he can do that too it's cheaper to do it yourself) pays attention to detail, preps properly and coats it properly. Phenomenal work, it's a true finish, not a paint job. Oh, and he went to the school too.

Oh, and Natchez for loading gear, powder and bullets. They got me 8000 SS109 for normal prices and free shipping when everything went to crap recently, along with a 9L Hornady US cleaner for $399 shipped and 500 free 10mm 155gr. XTP bullets. Same for powder when it went to crap, got 20lbs., 10ea. of two types of the "good stuff".

Part of not getting jerked around and getting good deals, for me, has to do with forming relationships with these companies. Using them more than once, finding a good dealer and sticking with him can sometimes pay off in the end. Having a contact you know that you regularly interact with at these places helps too. Above are my regulars and they've served me well for years when others have come and gone.

There are other great dealers around this area as well (and a few bad ones too). Try 'em out. But gunshows are the worst, like carnival people with firearms for sale. I've heard it all at one show or another in my past when I used to go.

Forming a good relationship is the way to go. Maybe I got spoiled by having that in Frontline Arms with John and Casey. I could get nothing but good info and felt welcome in the shop. Did not give anyone else my business when they opened up. Selfishly I want them back in the store! However I feel for the issues Casey has had to deal with as posted on their website.
Hopefully at some point they are back and I can leave the other shops in the past again!

Agree on the relationship. I think we're pretty fortunate that we do in fact have some great people to deal with when it comes to firearms, NFA items, and the like.

- Chip has been great for years on the NFA stuff for me. He's a really good dude, and his passion to evangelize his specialty and help people become more enthusiastic is a big positive.
- Sully @ Blackwater Tactical in Salem is a friend in the full sense. He's honest, doesn't BS, and as a person I trust him when that list is generally really short.
- LPG has found hard-to-find things for me in the past, and does transfers and made that process painless for me. There's been enough turnover that I don't recognize the staff there anymore except Jason, but I've always enjoyed side conversations there.
- Jeremy and Nick at Sharp Shooting in Spokane are fantastic guys. I needed a preferred SBR dealer in WA since I couldn't really go to OR to get those. Re-found Sharp Shooting as my interest in PWS got piqued. Right now? Jeremy and Nick are my go-tos for my same-state-required purchases. I go to Spokane once a month for work, so it all works out. Even when I tell them about something I'm thinking about, they proactively reach out to me when they know a status or ship change.

Outside that, I've never been treated poorly at West Coast, and really like the guys (and gals) I've talked to there. I like that they're driving quality shooting ranges in the area for us, and they listen. The specific ones above listed include names because they're groups I've built (with them equally or moreso contributing) relationships with, and they have my loyalty because of that.

That reminds me of a story my step father used to tell. His family owned a Buick dealership many many
years ago. One day a dirty old farmer came in and absolutely no one would help him. My SF went over
and the man not only bought a car from him, he pulled cash out of his pocket to buy it. And he came
back every two years and bought a brand new one, and would deal with no one but my SF.

I'll tell you my "dont judge a book by its cover" story.

It happened at a high end custom knife show. The kind of show where a cheap knife is a few hundred bucks and an expensive one can cost as much as a new car. A good friend of mine was set up at a table and had maybe 8 grand worth of stuff on the table. The guy next to him had some crazy fantasy pieces and was a bit of an bubblegum (according to my friend) Late in the day a guy comes up to the fantasy guys table. He is dressed like a logger or farmer, other words just a workin man. He stood at the guys table for quite some time admiring one of the guys knives, finally asking "What does this one cost? The knife guy says "You can't afford it".

Mr Logger/farmer is visibly stunned and after he gets his wits steps sideways to my friends table and motions around the whole table with is hand and says "Box it up!, I'll take everything you got!" He then walks to the table on the OTHER side of the fantasy guys table and says "You too, I'll take it all". I think my friend said the total bill for both tables was around twenty grand. He gets them paid and walks back in front of of the middle table and looks the guy in the eye and says.

" I can afford it" And walks off.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top