JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The best guys I have found in the shops are the older guys who worked a career and are there more out of being bored and retired than for money. They may not be the most upbeat at times but if you show them respect they tend to share their knowledge with me.

Ya there's a lot o knowledge in some of them old guys:D. Just like me, most didn't have enough time or money to learn it all. It's nice to run into the guy that collects the gun you want to learn about. They save you so much time and expense with their knowledge. I want a good hunting gun I talk to a hunter. Police gun I talk to a cop that has been at it for years. I want to know quality then I talk to a gunsmith that has repaired a lot of guns.

If I want to get crapped on I misspell a word and let the net spelling Nazis jump:D

Place I picked up the most knowledge was the gun club. Lots of guys shooting for years out there and they know what wins. So much to learn out there by shooting in the matches.

Place I picked up the most knowledge was the gun club. Lots of guys shooting for years out there and they know what wins. So much to learn out there by shooting in the matches.

Yep i learned a lot in Florida. I had to leave on a whim as my grandfather lives on his own and had serious health issues that made it hard to even move and I was not going to allow him to be in a home after all he has done for me.
I went with him quite a few times to the range once he was up to me driving him around in a golf cart and he and his friends have a wealth of knowledge but most of it is very high end pistols and O/U shotguns they trap shoot with. So I learned a lot about guns I am not really able to afford unless I only want a few guns in my safe.

man oh man.....this is a pet peeve ......I see it everywhere and twice last week.

I have started blatantly interrupting them and telling them they are wrong then explaining the right.....in front of the customer just because I am so absolutely fed up with this crap......I used to just be like "wow" and just move on but not anymore

last one I had to explain lower 1/3 vs absolute co-whiteness to the counter guy and the customer ....and this was a small gun shop that does nothing but guns , suppressors and such

few days before that the counter guy was trying to sell a Vortex Strikefire to a customer. He says "I have one of these and its way better than an EOTech because it has an etched reticle."

By the time I got done he learned he had a Spitfire not a Strikefire on his personal weapon
learned why its not the same and not better than an EOTech after I made him mount an EOTech to a shop rifle
and thought him and the customer about the different rolls of a Holo sight vs a Prism sight

just cant walk away from it anymore

I do understand. An example...I live close to Fishermans in Oregon City. Seldom do I need expertise from the firearms counter, (as they have little), but I do stop in to look at firearms or related products. So I do need the help of the firearms counter people to hand me a gun, or read to me the price tag on a gun that always seems to be turned the wrong direction. Problem is, and it's become a game to me, how long will these guys ignore me while I'm standing at the counter waiting for them to acknowledge me? They're too busy huddled at the other end bragging to each other.;) I know in the sales industry, there is a lot of type-casting of customers. Sales folks look at a customer, immediately decide they're not a buyer, so ignore them. They have no idea who their buying public is. Ignore me for the way I look and dress, and they will have missed a sale. I am the buyer that is ignored.

WAYNO.

You're not the only one Wayne. I've stood at that same counter, numerous times while their little 'clique' chats like a group of high-school girls over in the corner. It is rare they volunteer to help, usually they have to be asked.

And it's not just Fisherman's. That's a big reason I either buy online or used from NWFA members - it's usually hard to go wrong there. NWFA members have treated me better than any gun store employee ever has.

You're not the only one Wayne. I've stood at that same counter, numerous times while their little 'clique' chats like a group of high-school girls over in the corner. It is rare they volunteer to help, usually they have to be asked.

And it's not just Fisherman's. That's a big reason I either buy online or used from NWFA members - it's usually hard to go wrong there. NWFA members have treated me better than any gun store employee ever has.
Very very much agreed about buying from here. At the very least people know what they are selling.

I am happy to know I am not the only one getting to my wits end with some of the people at these places.

Maybe some of you should talk with the manager at fishermans...........IF you care.........:(

I talk with store Managers all the time when I get lousy CS:(:mad:

MOST of them appreciate the feedback.:D

SOME actually do something about it..........:D:Do_O:confused::D:D

Maybe some of you should talk with the manager at fishermans...........IF you care.........:(

I actually plan to and would have over the weekend but he was not there. I know if it was me I would want to hear how my customers are being treated...or mistreated.

MOST of them appreciate the feedback.:D

SOME actually do something about it..........:D:Do_O:confused::D:D

I would, if I were concerned about going back. I'm just too tired of it, they've already lost my business. There are plenty of other options, I shouldn't have to educate a manager on proper customer service. I've been in some kind of customer service my whole career, from restaurants to retail to construction (a lot of customer service there too). I've made my share of complaints over the years to various businesses, rarely has it been worth my time to do so.

I've seen plenty of poor customer service. The places with the best customer service don't necessarily have the highest paid employees, but they set high standards for their employees by actually modeling great service, treating their employees well, and getting rid of those employees that don't match their standards. You can't allow that stuff to continue with your employees, unfortunately, too many owners and managers don't want to be bothered with those issues.

I've had great service from places like Les Schwab (though they seem to be slipping a bit), my local Starbuck's, and some local restaurants. None of these folks are getting rich doing their jobs, but they get it, and the company, by and large models it and expects it.

I was looking for a particular Sccy pistol last Sat.
Called the LGS that I buy a majority of my new guns from.
I'll mention their name for those down here;
Good Guys Guns
(ONLY deal with Dan or Stu....no one else!)

Spoke with some IDIOT salesperson.o_O
IQ estimate; 83 +/-
ALMOST hung up.
Decided then & there, no more dealing with employees of ANY LGS.

Owners or Managers ONLY.:rolleyes:

I should add one more thing, you can usually tell if a place is a great place to work based on the attitudes, and, by extension, the service, of its employees. Many people will put much more into a job, even at a lower pay grade, if they love the job they do, particularly if the managers and co-workers make it a great place to work.

Good Guys Guns

IQ estimate; 83 +/-
ALMOST hung up.

More importantly, did you get the SCCY?

Good Guys Guns

IQ estimate; 83 +/-
ALMOST hung up.

Popular store in Portland area has an arrogant owner that I just won't buy from. Best prices around but the guy is a p rick. If there is something I want I would rather spend my money on people I like. Funny how the owners attitude is reflected by the help. Might think about that, sometimes the help is bad because the owners do no training.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top