Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Gun store employees

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by 40calruler, Mar 23, 2015.

1. 40calruler

40calruler Lake Oswego Well-Known Member

So I am just in need of getting this out to people that may understand. I have been at a lot of stores lately after being in Florida for almost 2 years I have been catching up on guns I wanted to get back after selling prior to moving. Of course I have ended up with 4 I never owned before but liked better.

I feel like I have lots to learn but still more knowledge than the average guy at the gun shops browsing. Even still not one, not two, but countless shop employees have been trying to "educate" me on the "best guns" and ways to carry since 2 guys at fishermans told me carrying iwb is not a good way to carry...What?! Oh and since I bought the Sig 238 extreme I was told I would wish I would have bought the LCP...Again, What!!

Ok I can live with that stupidity but a smaller woman came in and wanted a gun. The guy there pointed out to her that she should look at revolvers and 45s to have enough stopping power. (I know the argument is there for all of us but that is not the point) This girl was tiny and he told her she wanted a .357 over a .38. I had to step in with my experience of preferring a smaller caliber but heavier frame for the wife and I received a lot of comments regarding them being the "pros".

Just wondering if the know nothing know it alls behind counters drive anyone else out of their mind. Makes me want to ask them to shoot their foot with a .22 or .380 to prove to me it will "only penetrate an inch at most". Holly crap I hate stupid people in the firearms market. These guys are the first thing many folks see when new to guns. The misinformation is out of control. Nothing we can do but I can bubblegum about it.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
  2. DeanfromOregon

DeanfromOregon Wilsonville Amateur Ascended Master Platinum Supporter

Let me guess... Fisherman's across from Washington Square?

v0lcom13sn0w and Flopsweat like this.
  3. 40calruler

Holly crap yes! I have found great deals so I have tolerated it for a while but seriously there are a couple guys there that will let you know they know every damn thing there is to know about everything behind the counter.
    What bothers me most is the guy that I dealt with does not even have the words "I don't know" in his vocabulary. As so many employees seem to forget the second they go behind the counter. Most people do not mind someone having to look something up to get proper info before they run their mouth.
    I wanted a carry gun and he tried explaining to me the 92fs on sale for 500 was the way to go at first. I can tolerate staring blankly back at an idiot hoping they realized how dumb they sound but he just keeps going even with me not saying anything back. I did say "I have a 92" and yet he was so intent on giving his opinion on the 92 being the best and most accurate pistol he ignored hearing that.

My guess is he does not even own a gun.

The guy at dicks sporting goods made the claim that the only sufficiency pistol round was a 44 mag which is the second time I have heard him say that. Then a guy at Cabelas I heard telling a customer that if they buy a 12 guage HD shotgun they "cannot miss within 20 feet due to the spread". That one was a jaw dropper and luckily another customer and another employee called BS right away. Cannot miss up to 20 feet? Holy crap I must be the worst shot in the world.

Caveman Jim likes this.
  4. 40calruler

For sure but on the net you expect faceless nameless folks to say ballsy stupid things. At a shop catering to new buyers you would expect at least a reasonable amount of knowledge. I can tell you anything on here I want but the difference is I am not getting a paycheck to spout nonsense.

Caveman Jim and NoFlinch like this.
  5. ILoveMyWoobie

ILoveMyWoobie Northwest Member

I won't name names but let me just say that the majority of gun shop employees unless they know who you are pretty much D!cks. I'm OK with that cuz I'm kind of a prick myself and have thick skin so it doesn't bother me as much unless they are over the line shhhtalking then I'm going to say whatever I need to there face instead of bashing them on yelp. I think there is a huge difference between knowledge and opinion but in the salesman defense I have seen and heard customers ask and say some pretty stupid stuff in the shops as well. Either way if you end up with a good purchase at a decent price I think its all worth it. The smell of burnt powder and a warm gun in my hands is all it takes for me to forget the prick who sold me it.

6. NoFlinch

NoFlinch In a van down by the river Owner of Cocaine addicted dog.

I have taught many senior classes, and many of the older women show up with a pocket 9, or an airweight 38/357.:(

They can't even rack the slide or pull the trigger, but if they can, it takes all their strength and 2 fingers.:mad:

Let's not talk about handling recoil here............:rolleyes:

WHO sold these guns..............the local "EXPERTS".:confused::rolleyes:o_O

I personally know 2 LGS owners, and I do not recommend new gun purchasers buy from them unless I am present.:mad::(

I just realize that the average gun store employee has a 97 IQ, and I don't listen to their BS, arm myself with knowledge and research BEFORE entering the stores, and am not afraid at all of just walking away from them if the BS gets too thick.:rolleyes:;):D

I also always wear TALL rubber boots when visiting LGS's...:)

7. IronMonster

IronMonster Washington Opinionated Member Diamond Supporter

Its not just gun sales people. Any counter person is not likely to be a friendly, helpful sort. At least if they have been doing it a while. It takes a special kind of person to stand at a counter all day and deal with the public for a meager wage. That special kind of person is usually not the outgoing, expert type. There are exceptions, but as a general rule relying on the expertise and good nature of the guy standing behind the counter of any store is a bad idea.

mjbskwim likes this.
  8. NoFlinch

The exception being a US Postal Service employee, of course......:D;):rolleyes:o_O:D

bpulv8061 likes this.
  9. decklin

decklin WA Well-Known Member

I've had a few interesting interactions with gun store employees.
    Once at sportsmans I asked the guy behind the counter if I could see one of the double stack 1911's he had in the case. The guy proceeded to tell me there is no such thing.
    I looked at him and pointed saying, "there are two of them right there."
    His response? "You're mistaken. "
    I looked past him to the kid also working there and asked him the same question.
    He said sure and walked over and handed one to me.
    The old guy still wouldn't admit he was wrong.
    At that moment a woman walks in and says she is looking for a gun for self defense. The guy immediately puts a .22 in front of her and said, "this is what you want."
    She looked at him like he was insane and said, "I want a real gun not a toy!"
    I started laughing and the kid and I struck up a conversation with her. Turns out she was an experienced shooter and really did not appreciate the condescending attitude of the older guy.

10. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

On my way over here I had to get a rental truck. Well the uhaul store is the gun shop too.What a mess that place was.Holy cow.
    The wife that runs the shop was a nice lady.Had about 10 calls from GunBroker buyers,so I guess someone there know something.
    Then the husband comes in .Claims he is legally blind but carries 2 handguns.
    He has a 4" NAA revolver and I believe a 38.
    Now remember this is the owner,he said the NAA 22lr,may have been a magnum, has more energy than a 44MAG and is faster.
    Oh and a hollow point out of my 10mm won't penetrate thru a person at a 5' distance.
    I just smiled and took my truck.
    I worked for someone who knew a lot about older guns but wanted people to think they knew everything and would say things that would just leave us speechless. It's not just the employees of gun shops. I would guess the way the employees are,sometimes have to do with age.A younger guy always wants to seem smarter than he is. Heck I finally figured out there are people that know more than me and I look smarter when I ask them for answers.

decklin likes this.
  11. 40calruler

Yes it is true that a customer service position burns people out but a proper manager will pay attention to that and if need be replace them. I also want to clarify that I do understand that we need to put up with it but my main point is how hard is it to say "I do not know" and not spout off an answer just to hear yourself speak.

I have had at least 200 employees under me for over 15 years in a customer service environment and if I see the kind of attitude I do at gun shops they are looking for a new job. Just because it is guns does not change that they are getting paid for customer service so although nothing I say will change it I do believe guys like that should be thrown out on their bubblegum.

I never rely on them for anything as I know the deal with these guys but the woman that came in and many others I have seen are completely at these idiots mercy. That is what bothers me most. I know to pull up review of a gun on my phone at least before considering it. Most folks do not realize how important it is to not trust and do your own research. Just kinda sad that those are the people that new gun owners first meet in the gun world.

decklin and NoFlinch like this.
  12. AMProducts

AMProducts Maple Valley, WA Jerk, Ammo Manufacturer Silver Supporter

So I worked retail at a gun shop for about 2 months... it was one of the most horrible jobs I ever had. I was being paid $8 an hour, I had an idiot manager who would change my schedule, despite the fact that I had to take a second job because he wouldn't give me more than part time.

The only people who you find working long term at gun shop retail counters are: Idiots and shop owners. There can be a fair amount of crossover between the two.

One of the idiots at one of the local gun shops down in socal likes to talk about how he sneaks up on deer and shoots them with a .22... he loves to tell that story. One time I was in there buying a hunting license, and was waiting for someone to grab the book. He started going off about it, and I looked at him and was like "what are you a f-ing poacher. That's not a legal method of take. Even then, the deer know better when hunting season is than DFG, and you're not likely to sneak up on a deer during that month because people have been shooting at them. So this means you're either a poacher, or a liar." The look on his face was like he just found a turd in his bowl of cheerios.

Just remember, the people at gun shops are usually either so jaded they don't want to help you, or so inept they can't help you. They're there to sell things, it's really up to you to get it right.

HikerKat, decklin and NoFlinch like this.
  13. WAYNO

WAYNO Oregon City Gold Supporter Gold Supporter Bronze Supporter

I have a very extensive background of firearms experience. I surround myself with other folks who also have very extensive firearms knowledge. Our experience is priceless. If a feller wants some advice, we're pleased to share. There is little monetary value for our experience. Few gun stores are willing to pay, or can even afford to pay firearms employees much more than minimum wage. So, few of us could ever afford to take a job selling guns. So, retailers have little choice but to hire off-the-street sales people, with little or no firearms experience.

WAYNO.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2015
    rick benjamin likes this.
  14. 40calruler

Yes that is the other thing that drove me nuts. The same guy was bragging about hunting deer around here and hog in Texas with his AK pistol. I do not hunt but I do know that that is pretty ridiculous.

It was as though he was vomiting stupidity that day.

NONAME762 likes this.
  15. Velzey

Velzey Estacada, Oregon Gunsmith Gunsmith Bronze Vendor Bronze Supporter

I've noticed allot of folks behind the gun counter are not far from handing you fries!

I don't ask them much of anything!

Sgt Nambu and NoFlinch like this.
  16. 40calruler

And again that makes perfect sense but the guy I am specifically talking about has been there since the store opened 4 years ago or so. I have had a lot of minimum wage employees. I have had to work for min wage and my thought no matter my wage is I am getting paid so i am going to do the best job i can.

Way too much entitlement going around with employees these days.

17. Just Jim

Just Jim Well-Known Member

They are sales people, to expect anything more than simple knowledge of the products is useless.o_O

18. WAYNO

WAYNO Oregon City Gold Supporter Gold Supporter Bronze Supporter

I do understand. An example...I live close to Fishermans in Oregon City. Seldom do I need expertise from the firearms counter, (as they have little), but I do stop in to look at firearms or related products. So I do need the help of the firearms counter people to hand me a gun, or read to me the price tag on a gun that always seems to be turned the wrong direction. Problem is, and it's become a game to me, how long will these guys ignore me while I'm standing at the counter waiting for them to acknowledge me? They're too busy huddled at the other end bragging to each other.;) I know in the sales industry, there is a lot of type-casting of customers. Sales folks look at a customer, immediately decide they're not a buyer, so ignore them. They have no idea who their buying public is. Ignore me for the way I look and dress, and they will have missed a sale. I am the buyer that is ignored.

WAYNO.

etrain16 likes this.
  19. 40calruler

Ok there is a lot of valid points with people that feel that way. Here is my thing though. I hate walmart yet any person I ask there or most minimum wage stores can tell me where anything I am looking for is in the store. Should we not expect the same from the folks at a gun shop?
    We may never get the same but that will never change the frustration when you stand there listening to a guy trying to convince me the LCP is better than the Sig 238 extreme.
    I know better and I bought the one I want but if I had never touched a gun before as many folks these day are dealing with I might think he knows what he is talking about since he spends his day surrounded by guns.

20. NoFlinch

I disagree strongly..............buying the best blender won't save my life...:rolleyes:

albin25 and 40calruler like this.