JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
g.i. joe wrote:

Hard to tell exactly what happened, but... Ive seen it too many times, a person removes the magazine, racks the slide a few times, points the pistol away and presses the trigger... without doing a chamber check or following the 4 laws. They magically thing racking the slide is a fool proof way of unloading. Shame, their incompetence can cause so much suffering or death.

Yup I watched as a active county SWAT officer with perhaps 25 years of LEO experience racked his pistol after his 3 gun turn and it discharged. Fortunately it was pointed at the ground (lawn) and no one experienced anything other than sudden shock. I guess old timers can get careless with common behavior.

Idiot Does something REALLY stupid, resulting in loss of FFL and stock: Film at 11.

I've been handling guns for over 30 years and NEVER ONCE had a negligent discharge.

Rule #1 on the NRA list: ALWAYS POINT THE GUN IN A SAFE DIRECTION.

Meaning, IF the gun goes off (because you screwed up) no one will be injured.

If that was not crystal clear to the employees and safety practices were not stringently trained and practiced among employees, SHAME ON THE FFL.

If they WERE, then the FFL should be fine in the inevitable civil suit that follows.

99.9% of all gun accidents are the result of either ignorant meets gun, or educated is too lazy to follow basic rules safety. In 2012 there is ZERO excuse for ignorance. It's because you were too stupid, ignorant or lazy to even look at a youtube.

Regarding why a weapon would be loaded in a gun store:

Most of us carry.

The comments about basic firearm safety are correct. I'd like to add that racking a slide a million times doesn't tell you as much as looking at and feeling the chamber.

Most of us carry.
Yes we do and mostly holstered and secured. My original question of why was the gun was loaded anyway was more from the position of the shooting not being a result of safe carry but as complete negligence or something worse - such as a round somehow being placed in a gun by a psycho individual in the hopes of it not being discovered and then something like this happening. This happened many years ago in a shop in Redmond, OR and the round was discovered in the rifle when it was safely being cleared before any 'accident'.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top