JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Authorities say an employee at a New Mexico gun shop was unloading a handgun when he accidentally shot a customer in the back, wounding him.

The Las Cruses Sun-News reports the 65-year-old customer was airlifted from Silver City to a Texas hospital, where he is listed in stable condition.

Silver City Police Chief Ed Reynolds says an employee at Copper County Sporting Arms was unloading a .45 caliber handgun Tuesday when the weapon went off, shooting the man in the back.

Emergency responders closed off the street in front of the shop so a medical helicopter could land. The helicopter then flew the man to an El Paso, Texas, hospital for treatment.

Reynolds says the investigation is ongoing, and it's unclear whether any charges will be filed. No names have been released.

A person who answered the phone Tuesday at Copper Country declined to talk to the Sun-News.

Read more: Gun store employee accidentally shoots customer in the back | Fox News

Hard to tell exactly what happened, but... Ive seen it too many times, a person removes the magazine, racks the slide a few times, points the pistol away and presses the trigger... without doing a chamber check or following the 4 laws. They magically thing racking the slide is a fool proof way of unloading. Shame, their incompetence can cause so much suffering or death.

Why was the gun even loaded inside the shop?

this.

the-very-best-of-the-futurama-fry-meme.jpg

Hard to tell exactly what happened, but... Ive seen it too many times, a person removes the magazine, racks the slide a few times, points the pistol away and presses the trigger... without doing a chamber check or following the 4 laws. They magically thing racking the slide is a fool proof way of unloading. Shame, their incompetence can cause so much suffering or death.

Sure it is

IF THE MAGAZINE IS OUT.
I heard of a guy who was asked (vid is on here some place) why he had the gun.he racked the slide,dropped the magazine and put the gun to his head,as to show it was safe.
Pulled the trigger and killed himself in front of the girl who asked him about it.

RV,what's wrong with a loaded gun in the store? Don't customers do this every time they carry?
And kestir,it kind of naive to think you never turn your back on a loaded gun when you never know who is carrying.
If you are shopping and have your back to someone as they unload their gun and they don't tell you,how would you know?

I am not saying this happened by complacency is where accident happen.
As I am sure the store has a policy for loading and unloading when needed.
I severely doubt the policy says " point the business end at a human " when unloading.

I am sorry a guy got shot that really sucks, but should be lesson to everyone.

When is a gun safe ? When a human is not holding it !

100% complacency. I would imagine you could get that way handling 1000 guns a week.
Oh and this was negligence not accidental.

I am not saying this happened by complacency is where accident happen.
As I am sure the store has a policy for loading and unloading when needed.
I severely doubt the policy says " point the business end at a human " when unloading.

I am sorry a guy got shot that really sucks, but should be lesson to everyone.

When is a gun safe ? When a human is not holding it !

I woulda put him down before he had the chance.

Goodness this made me excited.
Man you are something.:s0152:

Hope I'm never in a store when you are.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads