JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Anyone have any experience with these?

Rifle Rods Kit - The Gun Rack System

Both of my safes are getting crowded, and I like to avoid safe dings. Wondering how securely it holds long guns with the Velcro? In the back of my mind, I'm always thinking of what I will find inside the gun safes if the big PNW earthquake that is forecast by some ever occurs. I would think this setup, if the attachment point is pretty secure, may fare better than my rifles that barely balance in the barrel notches currently in my safes.

I appreciate anyone sharing their real world feedback, and/or thoughts. Thanks.

I use them and like them for about 90% of the rifles. If it's a shorter rifle they are a bit flimsy if ya get a lot of it sticking out the barrel. If the comb/stock is slanted on the rifle it can actually take up more space as the rifle wont sit vertical. The velcro is pretty sticky and seems to hold well. YMMV

I like them. Created a ton of room and much easier to organize rifles and grab the ones in the back. I dont know how they would handle earthquakes though.

For ARs and smaller rifles I had to create a small riser so it would work properly. For shotguns I wrapped duct tape around the rod in order to fill the void and allow it to work.

Of course a 20 gun safe will actually hold only 12...right? Never tried them but sounds like a decent solution. Years ago I started putting long guns in gun socks. It has eliminated the safe bumps, protects scopes too, created a bunch of room because you can stand them touching and some of the socks have rust preventative in them or I will spray a light coating of Sheath in them.
Just what has worked for me.

I love mine. They work great and free up room in my safe. For the shorter rifles like AR's I cut a 4x4 and put it under the butt stock so that the rifle rods would work better and not be so sloppy.

I've got them in my gun safe and they do (for me at least) allow more rifles to be stored in it. But alas, I am running out of room in the safe so I see a larger safe in my future. :p

Rifle Rods Kit - The Gun Rack System

Both of my safes are getting crowded, and I like to avoid safe dings. Wondering how securely it holds long guns with the Velcro? In the back of my mind, I'm always thinking of what I will find inside the gun safes if the big PNW earthquake that is forecast by some ever occurs. I would think this setup, if the attachment point is pretty secure, may fare better than my rifles that barely balance in the barrel notches currently in my safes.

I appreciate anyone sharing their real world feedback, and/or thoughts. Thanks.

I currently have them in my safe. It has given me the ability to increase my storage capacity two to three times what would normally be available. I'm on my second kit. Depending on the size you're safe and how much Velcro you can add from the rifle rod kit it is definitely a plus for a rifle owner.

I have them in all my safes.

For SBR's I have risers on the floor of the safe to keep the SBRs up high enough so the rods dont bend over with only 2-3" into the barrel. (Plastic and stout cardboard Bullet boxes from reloading work perfect as risers.

Cabellas has them as well as Mr. Amazon.

Get them but don't set your hopes super high and you'll like them. I put them in mine and aside from the large bores and short barrels, they're great. Ideally you'll only have about 2 inches of the rod sticking above the barrel to obtain maximum holding power. Also, the instructions say to staple the velcro to your shelf. I opted to use 3M spray adhesive so the velcro sheet can't stretch when you try to release the rods. FWIW my shelf is steel that I glued it to, but see no reason you can't glue it to wood. But I'd rather screw a sheet of 16 gauge sheet metal to the wood, then glue the velcro to the metal. Blocks under the short rifles is a must, otherwise the rods bow badly and the rod top wants to pull loose from the velcro.

I gained about 20% capacity. The big benefit is that they are so much easier to get to. Never thought of giving my short rifles a booster seat... that would work even better as more of the rod would go down the barrel, an assist it in staying upright. Looks like a weekend project is a coming.

I am reopening this thread because I have heard that these Rifle Rods may not hold up as well as one would hope. It has been over a year since anyone responded to this thread and perhaps the former responders will let me know how their Rifle Rods are holding up since they last posted. :)
I've been using them for about two years now and
Would still recommend using them. I do have to say that the larger bore rifles such as 12 gauge etc. do need to have support in them so that they don't bend. But I will still would recommend the system above the current finger storage method that most saves come with.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top