JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello
i am new to the Gun World. I live in Vancouver Washington. I tried to buy a handgun at a sporting good store in portland and was told I could not buy it. I was told I could not buy a hand gun from anyone in Oregon. I was told I cannot bring a gun across state lines. So here is my question there is a gun show at the expo center this weekend and it is oregon. So can I buy a handgun at the Gun show? Thanks for the info. :huh:

As I understand it, technically, you could buy a gun in Oregon (Expo Center) but would have to have it shipped to an FFL in Washington state, to complete the sale. In other words, whoever you bought it from would have to ship it. Maybe Cocktailer can chime in. He should be at the show.

Yep, but you have to ship it from an OR FFL to a WA FFL and pay sales/use tax on the total amount. Same with any handgun from anyone in Oregon, even for a private sale. NO Face to Face gun sales across state lines.
Longguns bought out of state have to go through an FFL but you can take it with you once the background check clears.

A lot of OR dealers sell to WA dudes at the gun show.
They walk them over to my table and hand off the pistol, then the buyer comes to my office in Vancouver to pick it up the following Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday....

Kind of a special case as the WA FFL then does the transport, but (legally) the use tax is still owed on the total amount of the sale.

There are plenty of dealers in SW Washington that sell handguns at prices that are the same or lower than at the Portland Gun Show. Check out the vendors reviews for our local shops. I have personally never bought a pistol at that show in my 12 years here in SW WA; the charge they nick you for parking and admission would pay for a large part of the sales tax or transfer fee that you would pay a WA dealer. You can also buy from a online dealer (CDNN, Bud's Guns, etc.) or Gun Broker and have it sent to Andrew (Coctailer) and save some significant coin.

Gun shows are a good place to get some hands on with guns you may like. Unfortunately anymore it is a rare opportunity to get a "deal" at a gun show. In my experience you can generally save yourself quite a bit of cash just buying at your local gun shop. No parking or admission fees to deal with, usually no big crowds, better focus on the whole process in general. I still find myself at several gun shows each year, but rarely do I buy a gun at one. If I do buy something it is usually a part or accessory or sometimes ammo. You really need to know your values/prices on guns & gear when you are at a gun show, seems like there are more people willing to take advantage of the under educated gun enthusiast.

I"d like -to suggest,to the OP,to go out to dollars corner and get acquainted with Terry and Jan at LL guns.but be aware they are closed sunday and monday,and other people are running it on tuesdays for them.
it's been my go-to gunstore for abut 20 years now.
I"VE never bought a handgun at an oregon show,gets too expensive by the time it's all said and done,with xfer fees,taxes,parking,etc.
OP,if u have sunday free,the wolverton gun club up near ariel,wa is open to the public this coming sunday.IT's a great 'outdoorsy' place to shoot. 5 bucks for non members. 3 ranges,max is 150 yards. If u don't want to shoot but just see the place,it's open for kids' to shoot this Saturday also.

I been going to gun shows for 47 years. And I don't remember ever thinking there were deals on NEW GUNS at gun shows. Dealers have always sold at the shows for what they sell in their shops.

The deals were always on USED guns. BUT now days with the new restrictions on selling firearms through the gun show venue. Very few people are selling their private guns at shows. And few dealers still deal in used guns. So yes while I have bought many firearms at Gun shows in the past I believe all of them have been used.

Looking for a deal from a new dealer is highly unlikely.

I been going to gun shows for 47 years. And I don't remember ever thinking there were deals on NEW GUNS at gun shows. Dealers have always sold at the shows for what they sell in their shops.

The deals were always on USED guns. BUT now days with the new restrictions on selling firearms through the gun show venue. Very few people are selling their private guns at shows. And few dealers still deal in used guns. So yes while I have bought many firearms at Gun shows in the past I believe all of them have been used.

Looking for a deal from a new dealer is highly unlikely.

You should go to a a WAC show, or even the SWW Arms Collectors. There are LOTS of private sellers at them.

You should go to a a WAC show, or even the SWW Arms Collectors. There are LOTS of private sellers at them.

Yes but then unless I pay Washington Tax and a FFL transfer fee I couldn't buy a firearm in Washington. Used to be you could if you were also a member of the club. But not any more.

And yes there are small shows here in Oregon that the majority of the sellers are private collectors like the Oregon Arms Collectors shows. And you still have to do the BG check. Etc.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top