JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello
Gun show information online is sparse and lacking

Wife and I have never been to a gun show - we recently purchased "his and hers" Ruger 22/45 Mark IV lites and have yet to test fire them.

Questions about the gun show:
1. Can we bring our guns, ammo and eye/ear protection inside?
2. Will they have an area where we can 'test fire' these beauties?
3. Is this a good place to buy ammo (I need some .357 magnum for my Henry Big Boy)?

Any other tips or pointers?
Thanks much
Craig in Hoodsport

1. Guns yes, though they will need to be inspected and safety-tied by a staff member before you enter. Ammo and eye/ear protection, no point unless you are trying to trade/sell it because...
2. Absolutely no possibility of test-firing anything at the show.
3. Maybe. Know your prices and see what's there. Don't get caught up in gun-show fever and buy it just because it's there.

Big Top Promotions doesn't have a very good reputation around here for shows. I've only been to one of theirs and was completely underwhelmed. Please don't judge all gun shows by what you see there. In the future look for shows put on by actual gun/shooting clubs. these are the best shows in my opinion.

Gun shows are not a place to shoot guns. Find a range to test them out.
As I said, I've never been to one - - and the local range is closed due to COVID-19 and our illustrious elected leaders...
But under normal circumstances, that would be the plan.

Also, I do need more ammo, so I thought the gun show would be a good place to achieve both goals
NOT trying to be a smart-bubblegum. How would I know?

Big Top Promotions doesn't have a very good reputation around here for shows. I've only been to one of theirs and was completely underwhelmed. Please don't judge all gun shows by what you see there. In the future look for shows put on by actual gun/shooting clubs. these are the best shows in my opinion.

This. I've been to some great shows put on by gun clubs. I've also been to some really lousy ones put on by promoters. But, on occasion, I've found some really worthwhile and interesting stuff at lousy shows, so you never really know. :)

I'm surprised that none of the show-haters have posted yet, the guys who say that gun shows are a terrible waste of time, populated solely by carny-vendors selling Beany Babies, alligator jerky, and rip-off priced reloads and sporterized Mosins. (Did I cover it all?) :D

It's OK - I really would like to attend one just to see what its all about
And in terms of the one member who responded to me in a churlish way, for even suggesting that there may be a place to test fire my new handguns, I wish to point out that it IS located at some fairgrounds (presumably "outside").

Anyway, we were dissuaded from attending - I ended up assembling some furniture pieces for my wife, so who knows? I may even get some "treats" out of the deal

I'm guessing you and your wife are new to shooting? If I'm wrong please disregard. My I suggest that you two look up a firearm instructor local to you a have them show proper function and safety. It will be money well spent, trust me!!!

stacy

edit- I guess this doesn't apply then. It just sounded like you may be a new shooter and it was a suggestion.

Last Edited:
We go to Evergreen Sportsman regularly - if "new" means < 5 years then YES
I took a trap/skeet class in SoCal awhile ago
Plus she took a ladies class as well

Don't get caught up in gun-show fever and buy it just because it's there.
Ditto this!

While gun shows are not what they used to be if you enter one be open minded with no expectations you might just find something you are looking for (or not but like!) and might be able to get it for a fair price at it's market value. I have - most of the time when not even looking!

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews