JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Do not, do not ever trust anyone at a show, even the table holder. I picked up a little Stevens .22 low wall from the table Saturday morning after asking, of course. It was untied BTW. After asking permission to open the action, out popped a live Stinger round. Imagine if some fool had tried out the trigger without checking the chamber. Yes, this stuff is still happening out there. Rule #1, Rule #1, Rule #1.

That happened to me about 5 years ago.

Picked up a colt 22, full mag & 1 in the chamber..........:rolleyes:

I pointed it out to vendor, and he was "shocked".:eek:

I often wonder if some of these incidents aren't "Planted" by anti-gunners, hoping for another gun show incident............o_O:confused:

It shows the vender was clueless on more than one level. I am just a random smuck but the first thing I always do when handed or pick up a firearm is check the chamber. Its just what you do. Its just what anyone with any sense does. How many times did he have to handle that firearm without checking it? 2? 4? 10?

Even if I just picked up the thing 20 minutes ago, If it leaves my sight and I pick it up again, First thing that happens is a chamber check.

Complacency kills

...the first thing I always do when handed or pick up a firearm is check the chamber. .

First thing that happens is a chamber check.

Complacency kills

When I visit a gun store, and want to look at a gun, they always check it before handing it to me.

I watch them do this.

1st thing I do when they hand it to me is check it.

ANY time I pick up a gun, even if it is one of mine that I just put down 5 minutes ago, I check it............

It's one of my favorite OCD habits..........:D:D:D:D

Sometimes I think I am more than a little OCD. With handguns I do things I know are silly. Going to clean an auto? Pick it up, check the chamber. Drop the mag, rack the slide, look in the chamber. Need to pull the trigger to remove the slide, check the chamber one more time before pulling the trigger. I know full well the chamber is empty, Ive looked twice already in the last 10 seconds but I cant pull the trigger without looking again.

I have taught my family to chamber check any firearm even if I checked it 2 seconds ago and handed it to them and I do the same any time I am handed a firearm. check, check and then check again. the phrase "I didn't know it was loaded" is unacceptable.

"I didn't know it was loaded" is unacceptable
Yep - was helping a friend move his daughter and son in law several years ago. I was handed a shotgun - I checked the action a live 12 ga round in it. Later he drops an older 1911 on the ground (don't ask) - I pick it up and check the action - a live round in the barrel and a full mag. He gets PO at me because I am checking guns - I leave immediately.

Sometimes I think I am more than a little OCD. With handguns I do things I know are silly. Going to clean an auto? Pick it up, check the chamber. Drop the mag, rack the slide, look in the chamber. Need to pull the trigger to remove the slide, check the chamber one more time before pulling the trigger. I know full well the chamber is empty, Ive looked twice already in the last 10 seconds but I cant pull the trigger without looking again.

If you were really OCD you'd call it CDO. ;)

When I look at a gun at a gun store or show, or anywhere really, first thing I do is check the chamber - even if you just checked it before you handed it to me. I'm the same way with checking the chamber before everything too. Call me what you want but I have the regulation number of holes in me.

It shows the vendor was clueless on more than one level. I am just a random smuck but the first thing I always do when handed or pick up a firearm is check the chamber. Its just what you do. Its just what anyone with any sense does. How many times did he have to handle that firearm without checking it? 2? 4? 10?

Even if I just picked up the thing 20 minutes ago, If it leaves my sight and I pick it up again, First thing that happens is a chamber check.

Complacency kills
The last line is the best line.
And yes you or OCD,but that's not a bad thing
I think these guys just carry these things around without ever checking them at all. Kinda lets you know that they didn't really look at the gun when they took it in trade or bought the gun.
I was at Borhners? and wanted to look at a 45/70 lever gun. It had a zip tie on it.I ask how I was to check the chamber.He said he ASSumed it was unloaded from the factory.
I put the gun back on the rack and moved along.

Taught my kids to never accept a firearm without the action open its education that prevents accidents ....three things you never trust in this world #1 the guns not loaded:eek: #2 she's on the pill :confused:#3 the dog doesn't bite:D

Taught my kids to never accept a firearm without the action open its education that prevents accidents ....three things you never trust in this world #1 the guns not loaded:eek: #2 she's on the pill :confused:#3 the dog doesn't bite:D
Ya know this is a good point,especially if it a used firearm. Heck if the vendors won't even check for loaded,you know they don't check to see if the fire group is OK
What if it is loaded and the trigger has been bubblegumed up? You clear the weapon and it goes off,you are the dumb shyte,not the vendor

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top