JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I had an annoying thing happen at a recent gun show. I purchased a revolver advertised as "new" and only superficially inspected it before taking it home. In accordance with the rules of the event, the cylinder was zip-tied. When I got it home and removed the zip-tie, I immediately noticed that the cylinder spun freely, no lockup at all. Further, the hammer did not feel right when cocked. When I inspected the cylinder I developed doubts that the gun had not been fired.

It being a 2 day show, I took it back the next morning to the dealer at their table. Together, we went to a gunsmith who took it apart and found missing parts and signs of prior disassembly.

The dealer wanted to fix it for me, but in my view I had bargained and paid for a new gun, not a repair project and I asked to reverse the transaction, which eventually they consented to. The dealer made a big deal about how they were doing me a huge favor and that nobody else ever would do this, but only were doing it because they mistakenly advertised a consignment as new.

I'm pretty new to the show scene... this kind of thing must come up. I've bought new firearms sight unseen before (gunbroker, etc.) and never had such a problem and would like to avoid it in the future. Any thoughts on how the situation was handled or other advice?

Same story for me. I bought, actually my son bought a titanium 9 mm Taurus for me. They are tough to find and it too did not work, so I sent it to Taurus and they made it like new. My son confronted them and they admitted it was not new. If the gun was not so hard to find I would have demanded my money back and I would have asked the gun show owners to throw them out. Talk about no scruples. And yes it was an Oregon dealer.

Bought dozens of firearms at shows over the past 30+ years never had a problem but then I know enough to check out a firearm new or used before I would buy it. If the thing is zip tied. Well another zip tie can be put on it after I'm done looking at it. If they won't allow an inspection I won't allow money to leave my pocket.

Bought dozens of firearms at shows over the past 30+ years never had a problem but then I know enough to check out a firearm new or used before I would buy it. If the thing is zip tied. Well another zip tie can be put on it after I'm done looking at it. If they won't allow an inspection I won't allow money to leave my pocket.

Good advice, that was certainly one takeaway for me.

Exactly!

My gun show horror story was a S&W .38 SPL bought at a WAC show back in 04. Sold it to a shop a few months ago that a friend of mine works at. He calls me the next day to tell me that Sno Co sheriff advised that it was reported stolen back in 02. Fortunately the detective was cool with me and there was nothing for me to worry about. It was definitely an uncomfortable situation.

Any more you have to be careful with dealers. Most of them are in it to make a buck off of Joe Smith who knows nothing about firearms and wants one and will pay most any price for it. I personally like going to The Gun Broker in Clackamas and Woodburn cause I can go over the entire gun before buying and their prices sometimes are really good on shotguns.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top