JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You wanted him to GIVE you a gun because you bought so many from him? Or are you saying he didn't GIVE you a chance to buy the gun and refused to quote you a price at all even though you bought so many guns from him in the past?

I work for everything I get. The business man has never given me anything nor do I want him to. I had supported his businesses for years by buying guns and ammo etc from him. There is nothing he could ever own that I would want to buy. I buy nothing from him nor any other shop in the area. I buy at the gunshows or off the net and get far better deals.

You don't insult your long time customers and expect them back.

jj

'Haggling' is no doubt an art but I believe there are a few element to successful haggling such as knowing the actual, fair market value of the item you are haggling on, having a set amount of what you will pay for the item and being prepared to walk if your offer is turned down. Walking away from a turned down offer (providing it is FAIR) is very powerful. It can result in acceptance of your offer as you turn your back. It also helps to present a clean, confident business-like appearance - I don't mean you have to look like a Wall Street Broker but be able to 'Walk The Walk'. It is much easier for a seller to accept an offer from someone who appears (and proves) he or she is 'serious', comes through on time and quickly as opposed to someone who wastes time by splitting hairs on deals, drags out an offer, 'beats up' the seller or otherwise appears disingenuous. Last but not least always have the cash amount of your bottom line price to display. Never write a check or use a CC to pay for an accepted, 'haggled' offer.

You'd think that would just be common sense.
Under normal circumstances it would be but sometimes business people decide to 'fire' customers they no longer want to waste time with, have them hang around their shop/store etc. Some ways are better than others to accomplish this. I used to quote ridiculous prices for my services to someone I chose not to do business with but then they blindside you by giving the go-ahead to do the job - go figure.

"rvtech" i go through the same thing all the time (body & paint) guy comes in, and i'm a little busy, but he wants the work done ! i throw a figure out there, and sure enough, he's in my driveway the next day !! i deal w/ a gun shop in prineville & redmond, and i check things out on net before i'm ready to deal........ in my head anyway, i already have a figure in mind, what things are worth, and trade value . i try to stay in the twenty dollar difference window, inc. background check, and if that all happens ........ i'm good to go ! i always try and keep both parties content, and what goes around will come around !!

my thoughts only .....steven

I work for everything I get. The business man has never given me anything nor do I want him to. I had supported his businesses for years by buying guns and ammo etc from him. There is nothing he could ever own that I would want to buy. I buy nothing from him nor any other shop in the area. I buy at the gunshows or off the net and get far better deals.

You don't insult your long time customers and expect them back.

jj

I see, I must have just read your post wrong, TBucket's post cleared it up. I'm still not clear if he refused to quote you a price at all or just stated he could get more for it on the 'net. I'm sure some guns (specially collector's) are worth a lot more on the net, but if he flatly refused to even give you a quote, that would be a dick move.

Under normal circumstances it would be but sometimes business people decide to 'fire' customers they no longer want to waste time with, have them hang around their shop/store etc. Some ways are better than others to accomplish this. I used to quote ridiculous prices for my services to someone I chose not to do business with but then they blindside you by giving the go-ahead to do the job - go figure.

Speaking of "firing the customer" I have a friend that owned a custom paint shop, only did Harley's. He would factor in the time he spent B.S.ing with the "walk in's" in his quotes. It didn't take long for "word of mouth" to get around that he was overpriced. He would send customers (that felt he was charging too much) to another guy (we both know) that paints stuff out of his father's shop. Not surprisingly, the guy working out of his father's shop could never afford to get his business "off the ground", although he did make more friends in the local biker community.

I don't have time to waste hanging around businesses for them to take my money. I look at the price first then at the quality of the product to see if it's worth the price. Most of the time everyone is trying to sell the same low quality junk for a high price. I choose where I want to spend my money and if the quality and the service sucks then I move on, happily.

It's funny how greedy alot of the gunshop owners are, walk into their shop and if you don't buy in 2 seconds then you are wasteing their time. Nope I spend my money elsewhere.

jj

It's funny how greedy alot of the gunshop owners are, walk into their shop and if you don't buy in 2 seconds then you are wasteing their time. Nope I spend my money elsewhere.

jj

It seems like you and your previous dealer both came to the same conclusion, you'd both rather deal on the 'net. The irony as I see it is, you got frustrated with the dealer because he'd rather deal on the net, so in response you deal on the net so you're not spending your money with that dealer, or other local dealers, who are probably also dealing on the net.

It seems like you and your previous dealer both came to the same conclusion, you'd both rather deal on the 'net. The irony as I see it is, you got frustrated with the dealer because he'd rather deal on the net, so in response you deal on the net so you're not spending your money with that dealer, or other local dealers, who are probably also dealing on the net.

It's like the old saying, "I didn't leave the Repulican party, the Republican party left me" Same goes for most of the gun shops.

I must say there is one business that the man is fair and honest plus does quality work on guns and I will do business with him. Rangemaster Gunworks, Jeff Hutchens is top quality man with an honest streak in him that none of the rest of the dealers even come close to. He is on Hwy 34 between the freeway and Corvallis.

jj

We don't have a storefront yet, but most of what we do is answer questions to people not even looking to purchase that day (FFL at gunshows). I've had more than one customer come back and purchase from us later because of the help we've given them.

Recently, i've noticed that the best deals are either through this forum, outdoorstrader, and sometimes through gun shows. I used to support Keith's until the lady at the counter mis-heard me and my brother in-law talking, then calling me out VERY LOUDLY saying I would be committing a felony if I did what she just heard. Since then, I haven't been back because who wants to be EMBARRASSED for something they didn't say? Telling someone they can try out my gun first before purchasing one turns into me telling someone I can buy their gun for them? Come on, really? If you've had good experiences with keiths then by all means keep shopping there. That's just my preference.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top