JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just was wondering, can you haggle with the price at gun shops? Or has anybody done it before? I actually did it once and it felt weird, but he went for it. I didn't get much, but it's better than nothing.

You can haggle with a gun shop. Prices are pretty firm due to the almost non existing margin between gun store prices and dealer pricing for a gun store. They will generally reduce the price by the CC fee (~3%) if you're paying with cash or waive the background fee. This is with new guns. Used guns have a little more wiggle room. Honestly i usually just have waive the background fee and pay the asking price. Why bother saving a dollar when you should really be earning 3 more?

Its definitely possible. Like said above, it depends on what shop, and whether its a new or used gun. Pawn shops/mom/pop gun shops tend to have wiggle, depending on how nice they are/how desperate they are. Whereas walmart style stores have no control over pricing. As i have with all my used guns, you can debate price, but like someone said, they usually wont do much more than the background check or the credit price

And it depends on your relationship with the shop and your interest in keeping them in business. I have paid asking price at a place that I've also gotten a deal with. They usually give me a more than fair price when I ask "What is the best you can do?" or "I'll take both of those for $$$" and I know that, A) they got the used gun for less. B) I'm getting it for a great price. I do my research, but my feelings get in the way at times so I account for that into the "+I want it now" extra few dollars. So when something is already priced competitively, I don't mind paying sticker price from the stores that are fair and I want around. They have to pay rent too.
I also appreciate shops that will transfer guns (applicable ones) to my 03 and not say "I know every license and that isn't one." I may not have many places to go shopping, but I'll quit going to one that I've bought from for a comment like that. Not a place I like to patronize.

Tough fight, just like you are at car dealership.

Nothing like it at all.Car dealers are all pieces of bubblegum

I at least have respect for the gun dealers I frequent.I have absolutely no respect for any car dealer
Gun dealers have laws they have to deal with and car dealers are just there to bubblegum you

The only time I haggle with them on new, is if I have seen another private dealer with a much better price.The used guns are all determined buy what the gun is worth to ME.What I will pay for it.Otherwise I don't bother,they may be able to sell it for more.

Nothing like it at all.Car dealers are all pieces of bubblegum

I at least have respect for the gun dealers I frequent.I have absolutely no respect for any car dealer
Gun dealers have laws they have to deal with and car dealers are just there to bubblegum you

The only time I haggle with them on new, is if I have seen another private dealer with a much better price.The used guns are all determined buy what the gun is worth to ME.What I will pay for it.Otherwise I don't bother,they may be able to sell it for more.

Lol. I kinda like getting bubblegum. Maybe it's just me. I love how explicit language get replaced with bubblegum. However, it never hurts to ask. I honestly dont know how stores do it with such low margins. For he most part they have to buy from dealers who mark it up from the manufacturers. Besides prices are not so bad in Oregon. Go into a gun store in CA and see how much it costs

I just picked up my new M&P at a shop that has a range attached. Non Members pay $25 a day to use the range. When you purchase you get a free day of use automatically with your purchase.

The reason why is not worth mentioning, but long story short the guy who helped me ended up giving me an EXTRA "Free Use" card to come back and shoot for free. Maybe they'd be willing to throw something like that in the deal. I'm not a member anywhere, and having an indoor range to go to is cool.

Plus it's a + for the shop because it's a guaranteed visit from you to come back to the shop. At the very least they're likely to sell some ammo when you come in, and who knows.. maybe you'll bring a friend.. or buy another gun, or magazine, or something else.. or simply having another warm body in the shop shooting adds to the image of success.

I got:
$20 off on a New Springfield XD40 (gun show) for using cash instead of card.
$50 off on a used Kahr MK9 (when purchased with a New AR).
$25 off a used Beretta 21A
$25 off a used Buckmark (asked for $50 off the gun and the threaded barrel they had for it) settled for just the gun at $25 off
$75 off a new Springfield Loaded 1911
Tried to get $10 off a new Kahr PM40 that they had priced at $489 (but they weren't going for that, haha).

So it doesn't hurt to ask. Things that help, I'm sure, "I have cash in hand and will buy this 1911 right now, if you'll take XXX", "Can I get a package discount if I buy these two guns?" or "Will you give me the discount on this gun IF I buy with cash instead of a credit card?"

If they already have the gun ridiculously underpriced (like the PM40) don't get your hopes too high.:s0114:

"Or has anybody done it before? I actually did it once and it felt weird, but he went for it. I didn't get much, but it's better than nothing."

Sounds like a 14 year-old girl talking to her friends about an experience under the bleachers.

Gun shop I bought alot of guns at took in a collection of Colts. I asked what he wanted for a Python and he said he could get more on the net for it than he could selling to local cusomers. I never went back. However I buy off the net now and he gets no more of my money.

jj

Jim are you sayin' that he refused to quote you a price at all?

He told me he could get better money for his stock off the net than he could from walk in customers. At that point he couldn't give me a gun as I had bought many guns from him allready and he offended me. The community has supported him for many years before the net became big. He has been here a long time and turned his back on our hard earned money. Just as well, I have found better stuff at the gun shows and no longer have to listen to his BS.

jj

He told me he could get better money for his stock off the net than he could from walk in customers. At that point he couldn't give me a gun as I had bought many guns from him allready and he offended me. The community has supported him for many years before the net became big. He has been here a long time and turned his back on our hard earned money. Just as well, I have found better stuff at the gun shows and no longer have to listen to his BS.

jj

You wanted him to GIVE you a gun because you bought so many from him? Or are you saying he didn't GIVE you a chance to buy the gun and refused to quote you a price at all even though you bought so many guns from him in the past?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top