JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This is a PURELY hypothetical situation....

You buy a long gun at an online auction site. You send the FFL information (not yours, your dealer that you work with) and a money order for the rifle. A week or so later, you come home to find two unexpected packages left on your porch. You open the packages to find one contains ammo and the other a long gun.

This guy must have accidentally sent this to you instead of your FFL. No ORM-D, no adult signature, nothing.

What do you do?

That would be a hypothetical question to ask the ATF, they would best be suited to answer that sort of question, the only thing you will get here is a bunch of opinions :D

But if you wanted opinions, if it was me, I'd contact the ATF or lawyer for advice.

In your OPINION, have you commited a crime of any sort? You didn't ACCEPT the gun (or ammo). you just didn't report a POSSIBLE crime.

Well in my opinion, the ATF can most likely find something to pin you with (they have a habit of nailing people to the wall), and the longer you waited, the harder it's going to explain if you're caught.

In your OPINION, have you commited a crime of any sort? You didn't ACCEPT the gun (or ammo). you just didn't report a POSSIBLE crime.

You didnt commit any crime. You have no control over shipping errors made by another party.

My personal opinion is that you should just take the gun to the FFL you were going to use in the first place and let him receive it and document it as though it had been shipped to him. That shows a good faith effort on your part to comply with the law and leaves behind a clean paper trail for the gun.

You didnt commit any crime. You have no control over shipping errors made by another party.

My personal opinion is that you should just take the gun to the FFL you were going to use in the first place and let him receive it and document it as though it had been shipped to him. That shows a good faith effort on your part to comply with the law and leaves behind a clean paper trail for the gun.

sounds good to me.

By chance was the seller in the same state as you? If so no problem. If not, seller made a mistake. How would anyone else know about it? I know there are those who are afraid that Charles Manson is going to break out of prison and steal your rifle and kill babies and finger you but I haven't read of actual cases like that. If it makes you nervous just ask your dealer to do the paperwork for you.

I'm not sure this is relevant to your situation. But I had a package left at my door by UPS once. It was addressed to one of the previous owners of my home. About two week later UPS came nocking asking for the package back.

Depends on what firearm. Firearms and ammo is supposed to be signed for by an adult. Perhaps it may be left by accident. Everything in my neck of the woods firearm related comes FedX. Any firearms that comes from CMP are old enough to be considered curios, and they come direct from them to the buyer without the Federal Form or going through a FFL. Background and qualifiers come from the certified information sent to CMP for rifles and ammo.
If in this case it is left on my door, I would do nothing, and would not need to do anything!

It happened to me one time and that is exactly what I did. It just 'felt right'. JMO

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top