JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Been buying/selling firearms for decades, for our personal collection and as a side business, and I've yet to (to the best of my recollection) been ever asked that. The answer would be simple "no". @Camelfilter nailed it with respect to "the why" on that.

And I've long since given up on tire-kickers, fakes, and flakes, in various spheres, including this one. There's always another buyer who isn't a clown just down the way ...

I've purchased guns online described as mint that were anything but. You can't determine functionality from pics. One had a frozen safety, another was a jamamatic due to a bad extractor. I was able to fix both but you take your chances on used guns. Many sellers will refuse to accept a return if the gun has been fired.
Heck, if I sell a gun to someone and it doesn't function, I'll buy it back and transfer at my expense. I'd rather eat a bit of cash and keep my character than to screw someone with crap.

So i have bought and sold guns for 30 years. I got asked something today that I've never been asked. "I want to test fire that gun." I personally thought this was a very odd request. Individual could damage your firearm or God knows what else could happen. Honestly seemed like a huge red flag. What do you guys think?

I'd do it without hesitation, and somewhat without regard for the environment, as long as the firearm is pointed in a safe direction. . Fill the magazine with snap caps & have the potential buyer dry fire it safely to his heart's content.

Snap caps are used to confirm that a firearm is functioning properly anyway. Besides, the potential buyer gets to experience how the much sought after trigger actually feels.

Just sold some silver on here. The first inidividual I started dealing with flaked out - I think he was intnetiaonally wasting my time. Quit the deal and moved on. The second gentleman I worked with was an A+ indiviudual. You can tell alot by how someone communicates and handles themselves - this comes across in conversations. Someone I feel is honest and upright I am more inclined to take them to the range if they are local to test fire a firearm. One caveat I would have is that only my ammunition or store bought ammunition is used in the firearm. You could end up with a new freind regardless of wether the firearm is bought or not. I have met some pretty nice people on this board over the years.

Well there are, most certainly, some people trying to unload problem guns. If this guy has been bitten before, I can understand why he would ask. Especially if it's a more expensive gun.

If you do it, I would make it a final condition of the sale. Have him do whatever visual inspections he wants and agree on price...make sure he wants the thing before you go to the trouble.

Then find an FFL for the transfer that also has a range. Let him run a mag or two through with you standing next to him. He pays for the ammo and it has to be factory ammo...not his crappy reloads. Make sure it's a public range and not out in the woods somewhere.

I don't think it's a crazy request. If I was at a range I wouldn't hesitate, but I'm not going to that trouble of meeting up for a range session to sell something that costs less than a grand. I know I'm not going to represent something I'm selling as being operable and have it not be. At some point buyer's just got to trust the seller and the power of bad online feedback.

If I'm trying to sell a $1500 pistol or $2500 rifle...well...maybe that's what it takes.

Like many others here, I've been active in disposing of guns for many years. Also like many others, in all that time I've never had anyone request a test fire as condition of sale. My inclination is that most knowledgeable buyers know this practice just isn't customary.

Having said this, were I to get such a request, I would counter with a money back guarantee if anything turned out to be wrong with the firearm. With the understanding that negligence or abuse wasn't involved in any subsequent failure or mishap with the gun being test fired. I'm not gonna hand carry them down to a range and participate. If my guarantee isn't good enough, they will have to find another gun and seller.

Am now "thinking" he expected a non FFL transfer...'Ain't gonna happen.
Since the new laws have come into effect, I've had a few of these. They come on really strong, then when the subject of paperwork comes up, they are gone. Maybe they had felony convictions and knew they wouldn't pass, I don't know. In which case, I wouldn't want to be selling to them anyway.

Well there are, most certainly, some people trying to unload problem guns. If this guy has been bitten before, I can understand why he would ask. Especially if it's a more expensive gun.
Absolutely true. Gun shows used to be a prime dumping ground for defective guns before FFL transfer became the law. Because it was simply hit and run. The degree of anonymity was high. So I understand why some people would be trepidatious about buying a gun they couldn't shoot. But my guarantee should be good enough for them. If they want references, I can point them to Gunbroker feedback. I've also sold a good many guns locally by way of a dealer, they can get a reference from that FFL dealer for having never sold a come-back through them.

And I'm just a private person. Think about asking any firm that sells guns at retail. Under what conditions will they allow test firing of a gun before sale? Almost none. There may be a good ole boy store here and there located out in the country that will test fire one for you out the back door and into the gully (like Kesselring's used to) but those are very rare. And that was the old days. There are just enough chances for mishap, even involving store employees, that the practice isn't recommended for a sound business. That's what guarantees are for.

It all depends on :

Who is asking...
How they asking...
Where we are at in regards to a sale...
And what gun I am trying to sell.

I have walked buyers through just how to load and fire a muzzle loader to make a sale.
I also have allowed a buyer to fire a "Trapdoor" Springfield Carbine I used to own...'cause he heard / read that recoil was bad...
( It ain't and he bought it...:D )

I feel the much the same about disassembly of a firearm...
A "field strip" may be okay if....
The buyer seems to know what he is doing....
We have a place to lay out all the parts....
And just how they ask.

Notice the "How they ask"...that will make it or break it with me.
How something is said or asked...is just as important as what is said or asked.
Andy

I had a gun for sale here some years ago. One individual who contacted me asked a bunch of questions that didn't make much sense, so i asked if they had ever shot a gun. They had not, turned out to be a guy in his mid 20's, and was seeking to buy his first firearm.
So I took him to Tri County, taught him about gun safety, and then let him shoot a bunch of guns. He didn't buy the gun, and I didn't care.
Unliess I'm doing load development, shooting is more fun with others.

I had a gun for sale here some years ago. One individual who contacted me asked a bunch of questions that didn't make much sense, so i asked if they had ever shot a gun. They had not, turned out to be a guy in his mid 20's, and was seeking to buy his first firearm.
So I took him to Tri County, taught him about gun safety, and then let him shoot a bunch of guns. He didn't buy the gun, and I didn't care.
Unliess I'm doing load development, shooting is more fun with others.
That seems like something you'd do. Relatively new to gun stuff myself compared to most here. Over the last 12 years I've found the firearms community to be very accomodating.

To the topic of the thread. I would have never thought of asking to shoot a gun before I bought it. I used my good sense and skills reading people for the confidence I needed to hand over all that money over these 12 years. I'd probably balk at the suggestion from a buyer to shoot the gun first. I'm trustworthy. I know me.

I might fall back on old motorcycle rules, no test rides with out the full cash price in hand. And at a range of my choseing under my direct supervision, transfer to be done as required by law.

I might fall back on old motorcycle rules, no test rides with out the full cash price in hand. And at a range of my choseing under my direct supervision, transfer to be done as required by law.
A co-worker whom I considered a friend loaned me his motorcycle once, I dropped it due to oily pavement, causing a rash on the foot peg and bunch of scratches on the exhaust pipe.
He was dick about price, insisting it was worth over retail bluebook. Paid him for it and never spoke with him again.

I might fall back on old motorcycle rules, no test rides with out the full cash price in hand.
Off topic but I can't help it...

Me and a buddy, just out of high school. Working men. To this day I still can't believe the Kawasaki dealership let the two of us test drive those Kawasaki Triples, "crotch rockets" 350, 500 and 750. The buddy ended up with the 350 a week later.

A co-worker whom I considered a friend loaned me his motorcycle once, I dropped it due to oily pavement, causing a rash on the foot peg and bunch of scratches on the exhaust pipe.
He was dick about price, insisting it was worth over retail bluebook. Paid him for it and never spoke with him again.
Yep, that's the you broke it, you bought it clause.

So i have bought and sold guns for 30 years. I got asked something today that I've never been asked. "I want to test fire that gun." I personally thought this was a very odd request. Individual could damage your firearm or God knows what else could happen. Honestly seemed like a huge red flag. What do you guys think?
While that may be a common request in some things we buy and sell Fe cars I've never run into it with firearms. For me it wouldn't be worth the time for me to go out with buyer for a "test drive" unless u invite him to tag along when u are already going shooting.

But like others said if it was rare or very expensive gun or something that may be different. For me I would rather sell to someone else or put it on consignment with local gun shop than take the time to meet person for a test drive and they may not even show up.

If somebody asked me if they could test fire my gun that's for sale I'd decline and direct them to a few shops and suggest they ask the store employees the same question. :rolleyes:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top