JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So i have bought and sold guns for 30 years. I got asked something today that I've never been asked. "I want to test fire that gun." I personally thought this was a very odd request. Individual could damage your firearm or God knows what else could happen. Honestly seemed like a huge red flag. What do you guys think?

Unless it's some rare old weapon, I'd say no. Like anything used, you pays your money and takes your chances. I don't see how someone could damage your gun test firing it under your supervision. PAX

So i have bought and sold guns for 30 years. I got asked something today that I've never been asked. "I want to test fire that gun." I personally thought this was a very odd request. Individual could damage your firearm or God knows what else could happen. Honestly seemed like a huge red flag. What do you guys think?
Liability issues aside, I've never gotten that request.

If i were at a firing range, I wouldn't think twice about it.

Over the phone, or through a "for sale" ad, I agree with you.... a HUGE red flag.

You: ".....sure here you go, here's some ammo for it too...."

"Buyer": ....."thanks (as they point the gun at you), now give me your phone, wallet and car keys...."

Yeah, NO THANK YOU !!!

:s0002:

Over the phone, on through a "for sale" ad, I agree with you.... a HUGE red flag.

"Buyer": ....."thanks (as they point the gun at you), now give me you phone, wallet and car keys...."

Yeah, NO THANK YOU !!!

exactly what I was thinking.

Considering people can get screwed over on a purchase of a used firearm, I don't find it a crazy request, though I've never been asked it. I've purchased 2 used pistols from members on this site that didn't function and I've spent hundreds extra on getting them fixed. It would've been nice to verify functionality before the purchase.

Over the phone, or through a "for sale" ad, I agree with you.... a HUGE red flag.

"Buyer": ....."thanks (as they point the gun at you), now give me your phone, wallet and car keys...."

Yeah, NO THANK YOU !!!

Thats where my mind went. Plus with a semi auto jams can happen.

I see ads sometimes where the seller is offering that opportunity. Personally, I've never had such a request, or made such a request. I suppose if I had something for sale for an extended period of time, I might be more inclined to entertain the idea. It would also depend LARGELY on my level of comfort with the potential buyer after talking to them. Doing it based on emails only would be a no-go.

I think it depends on the circumstances and the situation. I once allowed a guy to test fire a pistol at MY request as I wanted him to be aware of how inaccurate the gun was.

If someone asked me to test fire of a gun I was selling I wouldn't have a problem with it but there would be some 'pre screening', it would be at my location of choice and I would more than likely have a friend with me AND, I would need to have a good 'feeling' the person was in fact serious about buying it.

So many things can go wrong. Unless I knew the person pretty well, I would just say sorry it's as/is. I would certainly be willing to give the guy/gal some advice if there are any problems, but something about handing your loaded firearm to a stranger just don't cut the mustard...

So many things can go wrong. Unless I knew the person pretty well, I would just say sorry it's as/is. I would certainly be willing to give the guy/gal some advice if there are any problems, but something about handing your loaded firearm to a stranger just don't cut the mustard...
100% the same way i feel. In limited contact he seems to have limited knowledge.

I almost never sell a gun; the few I have sold in recent years have either been through consignment at the local FFL, or to a friend. The last one I sold to a friend, I asked him to come to the range with me to test fire it, just to make sure it was what he really wanted.

Someone I've never met? Maybe if it were a long-time member on here, who had good feedback, and it was convenient to meet at the range.

I have bought a couple over the years that I would have avoided if I'd been able to test them, and more than a couple that malfunctioned the first time I shot them, but were easy fixes. A friend recently bought a used twin-barrel stainless-steel derringer, in .44 Magnum! We tried it out last week. We fired a couple .44 Special rounds through it, and had to stick a rod down one barrel to literally pound the empty out with a hammer. The one chamber had a reverse taper! I don't think there's any fix to that.

I've purchased guns online described as mint that were anything but. You can't determine functionality from pics. One had a frozen safety, another was a jamamatic due to a bad extractor. I was able to fix both but you take your chances on used guns. Many sellers will refuse to accept a return if the gun has been fired.

No. To an unknown.

I have offered the opportunity to test fire to acquaintances. However such offering was at our, or there club/range, respectively.

Folks are incredibly "funny" though.

Had an acquaintance / colleague in another unit at a different facility go "silent" when I recommended such to him. He had been wanting an entry level bolt gun for quite a while, so I mentioned I could set up a package deal for a Ruger American .308. Scope + ammo. Ball to practice with + hunting rounds - and enough hunting rounds to get dialed in perfect. Would have been well under market, as their family situation is "tight".

Being that he's a really big guy, I figured letting him truly run it would be best.

Offered up to meet at his local range any time over a particular 4 day weekend he & I were off. Then if he wanted it, to do the transfer at a shop I've dealt with in the past rite near that range (minutes away).

He said he'd check the fam schedule (reasonable & understandable). Crickets...2 months ago.

Am now "thinking" he expected a non FFL transfer...'Ain't gonna happen.

As a buyer I did request to test fire a $1200 rifle from a member here.
We met at the SafeFire, I paid for the time at the range and brought my own ammo. 1200 is a chunk of change for me, plus don't want to find out that the firearm is not functional after waiting 14+ days to pick it up.
I can see some may have legitimate questions about this process but I also understand it from a perspective of a buyer.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top