JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hey just say no works with cookies so well why wouldn't it work with firearms? By age 5 my son was shooting real firearms and knew the difference between toy and real and how to properly handle real. That said at no time was there ever a firearm laying around to be "Found" by a child in our house.

On the other hand I have friends whos kids at 15 were to idiot to be allowed near a nerf gun without fear of something going wrong. Every child is different you can't lump people into these statistics and have the results mean anything.

Breaking News! Children are curious and have poor impulse control. I don't know anyone who thinks Eddie Eagle the absolute answer to gun safety, defense in depth is a much better strategy.
The only reason I can see for studies like these is so that they can be used to say "SEE! Teaching gun safety in school WON'T WORK."

No answer or program is foolproof.
What I do hope kids learn from gun safety programs is...
Just how to safely handle a gun when they do come in contact with a gun.

Will kids come into contact with a gun...yes
just they do with drugs and alcohol...
And we know just how well "Just say No! " works.....
( sarcasm , in case anyone missed it...)
If we don't teach kids how to be safe around guns , then they have that much less of a chance to make a safe choice on gun handling or what to do , when they come across a gun.
Andy

From the article's actual study, http://journals.sagepub.com/eprint/84zQQSrEUBZYbcHK9RsW/full quote:

1. A total of 298 studies were identified. Of these, 209 were excluded as they were duplicate studies found across databases; 31 were selected for retrieval and 10 were included in this review...
2. ...10 included studies only addressed children aged 4 to 9 years.
3. The studies located and included in this review are of limited evidence (primarily Levels 3 and 4) due to small sample sizes, minimal statistical analysis, and lack of randomization, making a determination of effect size not possible; therefore, an evidence synthesis of study findings was done.
4. More research is needed to determine the most effective way to transfer the use of the skills outside the training session and to ensure that those skills are sustainable. Rigorous, large-scale, and age- and developmentally appropriate studies are needed.Unquote.

Bottom line the article is self-promotion bogus BS hyperbole as even the article's conslusion, as quoted in #3 & 4.

Another comment: the children [< 5-6] lack concrete knowledge retention, e.g., do not touch the stove it is H O T.

So guess, the responsibly to assure children and others not mishandle firearm(s) is for those A D U L Ts who the firearms belong to have to be responible and keep them out of reach of those who should not be handling them!

What a novel idea!

No answer or program is foolproof.
What I do hope kids learn from gun safety programs is...
Just how to safely handle a gun when they do come in contact with a gun.

Will kids come into contact with a gun...yes
just they do with drugs and alcohol...
And we know just how well "Just say No! " works.....
If we don't teach kids how to be safe around guns , then they have that much less of a chance to make a safe choice on gun handling or what to do , when they come across a gun.
Andy

I have always believed in protecting my children with the truth, not from it.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top