JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Almost every manufacturer makes several tiers of safes. The safes in those bottom tiers are not good, and when you get more into the middle lines then the safes start to get high enough in security and fire protection to do some good. There are some Champion, Amsec, Fort Knox, Liberty, Superior, Browning, ETC, ETC, ETC.......... Safes that can be pried open. The price range you begin to see things turn around in is $1,300-$1,600 range. The safe is going to be a small size like a 17-25 cu ft safe at that price range for quality as well. You cant buy a huge 40 or 50 cu ft safe with good security and fire protection for $1,400.00, it just doesn't exist. There are safes that big at that price, but the security features and fire protection aren't there.

I really appreciate what all you guys who really know this business have said.

That having been said, I have about a $15000 firearm collection. I have insurance with a $500 deductible specifically for my guns.

If I buy a $500 safe that will do nothing but keep the idiot kiddies that break into my house after school away, I think I've come out a winner, as opposed to a $3000 safe, that's destroyed after those same kiddies, which IS NOT insured.

Seems to me like financially I'd be better off with a $300 safe, the insurance settlement and buying new guns than I would with a mulri-thousand dollar safe, with the pros getting in anyway.

I'm already insured for fire, and have my important stuff (heirloom photos and the like) in that fire ensured safe.

Absent criminal activity by a pro or a group of amateurs with a LOOONG time to work on it, I'm not seeing the point in a big safe.

If I'm wrong, please correct me. But I see my $500 deductible on replacement items as being a better investment than the $5000 safe that will get cracked by a pro in any event.

I really appreciate what all you guys who really know this business have said.

That having been said, I have about a $15000 firearm collection. I have insurance with a $500 deductible specifically for my guns.

If I buy a $500 safe that will do nothing but keep the idiot kiddies that break into my house after school away, I think I've come out a winner, as opposed to a $3000 safe, that's destroyed after those same kiddies, which IS NOT insured.

Seems to me like financially I'd be better off with a $300 safe, the insurance settlement and buying new guns than I would with a mulri-thousand dollar safe, with the pros getting in anyway.

I'm already insured for fire, and have my important stuff (heirloom photos and the like) in that fire ensured safe.

Absent criminal activity by a pro or a group of amateurs with a LOOONG time to work on it, I'm not seeing the point in a big safe.

If I'm wrong, please correct me. But I see my $500 deductible on replacement items as being a better investment than the $5000 safe that will get cracked by a pro in any event.

Are you sure that is actually what you have? I thought I was covered when my house was robbed.. the safe ( a 40 gun model that was full) was not bolted down and they stole the whole thing. Honestly I dont think it would have made a difference if it was bolted down. Turns out my gun rider was not as good as I thought. I got about $2000 on over $20,000 worth of firearms (with a $25,000 rider) No coverage for my knifes accessory's or ammo. Part of my problem was lack of a good list of serial numbers ( I had a complete list as well as photos of all the guns but it was in the safe along with all my other documents) The safe was in a garage that had a steel door inside a steel jam, bars on the windows and a high end alarm system.. The safe was inside its own locked room inside the garage and weighed at least a few thousand pounds loaded. They cut the phone lines and ripped the power meter right off the building, used a pair of big crowbars to destroy the entry door... Im not sure how they got the safe in the truck as there was no way to get even close to it with a truck... Anyway the ending of the story is there was a total loss of over $80,000 and the insurance check came to $12,600.... Insurance companys are crooks and I will never trust them to do what they say. They caught the guy about 6 months down the road.... I got a 10/22 back and a couple of low end knives (over 1000 knives in my collection some worth many thousands of dollars) The guy was suppose to pay restitution after he did is 5 years in jail... After he got out he committed another crime and is now doing 15 years.... Dont kid yourself If you care about the stuff you need a high quality safe and take precautions to make sure its secure. I have never really recovered from the loss of that stuff (its been going on 20 years ago) I never really felt the same about "stuff" since... At the time it seemed like everything that was important was taken, family treasures, collections and my favorite "things" These days I just dont have the same passion for firearms... I enjoy them but not like I did.

I should also say that the guy who robbed me came over to buy a gun... This was before cell phones really or the internet forums and I had a rifle for sale in the "little nickel" The guy seemed like a good guy, spent probably an hour at my house talking guns. He checked out the rifle I had for sale and as I often did I showed off several other prize guns and knives... He was knowledgeable and respectable looking... It was a couple weeks later that he came back with a crew of guys and robbed me.

I should also say that this was in the early 90's in a small Idaho town of less than 4000 people.... I dont want to hear about how I should have known better... Yeah its easy in hindsight to say you should have done this or that and I have had plenty of folks tell me about it. Most folks I know did not have near the security I did even given its flaws... The point being if you are serious about protecting your stuff then you need to act like it... If the plan is to keep kids out thats one thing... But dont just assume that insurance will make up for your lack of security and dont assume that just because something is locked up its safe. I dont own enough stuff these days that I have to worry much... I could loose everything I have firearm wise and be out only a few thousand bucks... But I can say that If I was serious about having a safe I would take a good quality safe and pour it in a concrete vault with stub walls so you coudnt get a bar in the door. If you got a real collection dont trust it to a $1500 big box store tin box..

I agree with most of what has been said here, and I do understand the original poster's point. Personally I would recommend getting the most safe you can possibly afford, but circumstances don't always allow for that.

With that in mind, as far as inexpensive residential security containers go, a lot of people seem happy with the Costco Bighorn safes. They have sales quite often on them and seem to be a good value. Here's one on sale right now (and the price includes delivery):

Costco - BIGHORN Classic 36ECB Safe

Again, this is more of a deterrent against kids and non-professional thieves. Bolt it down and it will be about as good as you can get for the price.

And to reiterate what someone else said, most of the companies make both good and bad product. Do a lot of research and shopping if you're looking for a serious safe.

I too, don't believe in the Insurance policies they sell you: the proof is how they don't pay in a loss or priced way too high.
With expensive property like guns, it is so easy to go past $5-10,000 and more in value: a TARGET for thieves.
I'd much rather invest in a safe that will actually protect valuables in a fire(not with phony sheetrock liners) and will be so difficult to break into that most thieves will give up. (if you do your part and use bolts)
Go To American made quality that can be customized to fit your needs. Gun Safes : Fire Safe Manufacturer : Sturdy Gun Safe
Yah, you won't pay $599, but they cannot be broken into with a pick-axe and alot cheaper than loosing your collection.

There are some good points here. I do agree that most people think they know, but really don't know what their insurance covers for firearms. It is typically 20% of each gun with a cap at $2,500 on most standard policies. If you have a gun writer on your policy it will be better. Here's the thing though: Those kids who would break in after school can still get in your $300 or even $500 gun safe. A good majority of the entry level safes on the market do not use UL listed locks or relockers. You can beat the lock off the door in 30 seconds with a hammer and open the safe right up. I need to make it very clear that it does not take much brains to pry open a $300, $500, $800, $1,000, $1200, or even $1,300 gun safe. It is very easy, and there are people doing it who are not using anything more than pry tools to get into them. It takes minutes to pry open an entry level safe.

A lot of folks think about safes as under $1000 or they throw that $3000-$5000 number out there. Fact is, there are safes you can buy for $1,500-$1,600 in the 25 cu ft size that will keep almost everyone out. You can get into a range of safe that will require cutting or drilling the safe at that price point. Their other huge issue with cheap safes is fire ratings, they aren't good enough under this price range.

I always find it interesting that people get new cars every 4-6 years, a new TV every 10 years, a new refrigerator, stove, washer, dryer every 10-15 years. People have no problem spending huge amounts of money on these items multiple times in their lifetime. However, when it comes to buying a safe, one time in your life, that will last forever, and you will have it forever, it will contain your most valuable and prized posessions, it will keep family heirlooms, precious items, cash and paperwork inside it safe........and people cannot justify even spending $1,500 that one time to buy the right product to do the job. It just doesn't make sense to me at all.

Yes bolt the safes down, even if it's a wood floor, do it. It may be the thing that saves you from having a safe stolen or pried open. If you guys need to know how to do it properly or what anchors to use, feel free to ask.

It's the safe I have settled on and will be buying one when the time comes. The big name safes use 10 gauge steel, while Sturdy uses 7 gauge, unibody construction, and the things that are welded are done so using continueus hot welding.

They ar3 more expensive than the junk made for big box stores, and about the same price as higher end Cannon at Costco, but you get much better protection as well as Lifetime warantee that includes repair of any damage due to file of break in attempt.

A lot of folks think about safes as under $1000 or they throw that $3000-$5000 number out there. Fact is, there are safes you can buy for $1,500-$1,600 in the 25 cu ft size that will keep almost everyone out. You can get into a range of safe that will require cutting or drilling the safe at that price point.

Maybe I missed it earlier in the thread, but can you point me to the $1600 safe that you are talking about?

The liberty Franklin 25, the summit rainier 25 (not the rainier ex). Are two that Come to mind right off the bat. If you you up another $200-$300 you can get into a superior master 25 or liberty Lincoln 25.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top