JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Looking at buying a gun safe, should of a long time ago. I was wondering if anyone has input on quality good/bad or just things they like about their current safes.

Hate to come home someday and be shoot with my own gun

Buy the biggest/largest one you can afford.

Agreed - I bought one twice as large as my (then) gun collection and now I'm running out of room. If my purchase decision wasn't constrained by space limitations, I would have gone larger. Much larger...

Bonuses are internal hinges...

When I was doing my safe research, the commercial safe guys I talked with said that external hinges were easier to service if something went wrong & provided criminals something to attack which didn't matter since the door (once locked) was really held in place by the bolts. If you look at commercial safes, many (most?) of them have external hinges.

I went with an Amsec BF series safe for my needs. I felt like it had the best construction for the price. However, if someone really wants to get into it (or any gun safe you buy) they will if they have enough time, determination & tools. Even the high-end commercial safes are only rated by the number of minutes (15, 30, etc) it takes a determined thief to gain entrance.

Most gun safes are only rated by U.L. as Residential Security Contatainers (RSC). More info on this is here:

UL Underwriters' Laboratories (UL) - UL is a non-profit, non-bias agency that tests and rates the safety and performance of consumer products. Safes that have earned specific UL ratings will carry a UL label which designates the product's security and fire-protection ratings.

Net Working Time - This is the UL term for testing time which is spent trying to break into a safe using tools such as diamond grinding wheels, high-speed drills with pressure applying devices, or common hand tools such as hammers, chisels, saws, and carbide-tip drills. If a safe has been rated with a 30-minute net working time, (TL30), the rating certifies that the safe successfully withstood a full 30 minutes of attack time with a range of tools.

Theft resistant - This rating means the safe provides a combination lock and minimal theft protection.

Residential Security Container rating (RSC) - This UL rating is based on testing conducted for a net working time of five minutes, on all sides, with a range of tools.

TL-15 rating - The TL-15 rating means the safe has been tested for a net working time of 15 minutes using high speed drills, saws and other sophisticated penetrating equipment.

TL-30 rating - A product carrying the TL-30 security label has been tested for a net working time of 30 minutes with the same types of tools mentioned above.

TL-30 x 6 - The TL-30 (30-minute) test is conducted on all six (6) sides of the safe.

TRTL-30 - The TRTL rating designates a safe which successfully resisted 30 minutes of net working time with a torch and a range of tools which might include high speed drills and saws with carbide bits, pry bars, and other impact devices.

With most gun safes, I think you're really just deterring inquisitive kids, smash-n-grab teenagers/druggies and maybe getting yourself a little fire protection. If this is really all any gun safe can offer you, does it matter whether you go with a high-end Liberty or a basic Champion? I don't know...

Thanks Sun195 that's the kind of information I was hoping to find. I see safes on sale all the time but when I look at them I question just how "safe" they really are at least I understand how they are rated now.

I prefer a quick access safe. My safe is merely designed to keep the kids out. I don't feel I'm likely to be burglarized anytime soon living out in the sticks. Also since I work nights and my wife works days it is unlikely that somebody won't be home that has direct access to the safe at any given time. It takes me about a second and a half for me to get into my safe FWIW. It has an electronic key code.

If you truly want security your going to have to have somebody build you a vault out of steel reinforced concrete. Believe it or not people do this and the items inside are definitely secure.

http://www.het.brown.edu/people/hahn/vaults.html

Something to think about in regards to a "fireproof" safe.
You'll pay more for a fireproof or fire resistant safe. Problem is, they may not be rated high enough or long enough to protect your guns.

If you live in a rural area where the response time of you local fire department is extended, by the time that the fire gets put out, you'll most likely have exceeded your safes fire coverage.

Personally, I'm locking up my guns to keep out the get rich quick thieves, and kids. By the time my FD would get to my house, the guns would be gone even with a good safe.

not to toot someone elses horn but after buying two safes and knowing what I payed and what I seen I would call this guy"Mountain Veiw Safe CO."503 706-7347.I looked at his safes and seen the fire ratings and for the money will soon be the next one I own.

I have one of Charlie's safes. I wish I had bought 2 for myself when I picked up one for me and one for my neighbor. I didn't do alot of research on them, just compared some general features. His $450 unit tucks right in to the end of most standard closets.

I will second Mountain View Safes. I bought the biggest one of Charlies safes. It is a great safe with lots of room and a good value,but it is up for sale due to a remodel if someone is looking for a huge safe ??

That's where we bought our 29 gun safe.We delt with Charlie at the Albany gun show now were waiting for the end of the month to pick it up
Charlie is a real good guy in my opinion.

I just picked up my safe from Charlie at Mountain View Safe,for the money it is a good deal,and will stack up well against many more expensive brands.
Our purchase was the largest one he sells,72.0"X42.0"X27.50",with a wt of 1067lbs.
Took 4 of us to get it off the car trailer,luckily mine tilts,so it made it easier.
Still need to anchor it down before putting any contents in it.
Happy with the purchase,will be looking into another one soon.
RK

IMO mid sized is better.

If you are keeping it in your house, your floor should be able to support it, and I would be nice if you dont have to hire a machinery moving company everytime you need it moved. I have a 350lb safe with about 200bls of guns and ammo in it. It is bolted to the floor and to the wall. When I run out of roome in it I will by a second one. Two small safes gives you more options than one huge one, and I can move my safe myself with a handtruck.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top