JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I looked at the Costco Winchester Gun Safes yesterday. They certainly don't compare to the Fort Knox, but seem good for the money. ($500) Has anyone bought one or have an opinion. Thanks

Take a look at Liberty Safes.

I have a Fatboy Jr. and Love it.

I purchased mine from Liberty Safes of Oregon, in Hubbard. Below is a link to his website, but you should call to set up an appointment first.

http://www.libertysafesoforegon.com/contactus.php

http://www.libertysafesoforegon.com/

Here is a link to the liberty safe torture test.

http://libertysafesoforegon.com/torture_tests.php

The liberty's have an awesome LIFETIME warranty.

I would give liberty safes a look before you buy anywhere else.

Also, look at the warranties on any other safes you look at.

For the money, I would definitely go with Liberty.

Just my personal opinion.

If you tell Kirk that you have seen the safe at a lower price somewhere else, he will beat that price, at least he did for me. Coastal Farm had the fatboy jr. safe on sale for $899, regular 1199, I told Kirk at liberty safes, and he beat that price by a buck.

Stay Safe.

It seems to me that OP has already purchased the Winchester/Costco safe and is interested in getting our opinions on that particular safe, rather our views on various other safes that we might own or might recommend.

I already have a safe that I am happy with. I bought that safe last summer after doing a lot of research and hand wringing and comparing everything between Heaven and Earth before finally getting off the pot. And now I am looking for a second, much cheaper safe....but we don't need to go off topic for that, either.

I have looked at the Costco safe twice in the last month. And yes, I think that it is quite a good value having decent features for the $500 price. So if price is one's primary consideration, I would say it's well worth that price. It has the basic features of an RSC, but with fairly thin steel walls, an adequate lock, a lesser degree of fire protection, much lighter weight, etc. than those safes cost triple or more the money. And a budget safe is much better than some BS version of a locking cabinet posing as a safe.

If others who haven't yet decided want someplace to start, I recommend going here for a basic orientation:

http://www.6mmbr.com/gunsafes.html

Natty bumpo,

I took it as the op had "Looked" at the safes at costco, not bought one.

I'm sorry if I offended you or anyone else by posting about another brand safe. The OP asked for opinions, I gave my Personal Opinion, but my opinion was about liberty safes, and not the safe from costco. again I'm Sorry.

To the OP, Good luck in your search for a safe.

Stay Safe.

AMSEC

Through many sources.
I bought mine through my local locksmith and he ordered it through a local source of his, for a few bucks less than the online sources and I spent the money with someone that I trust.

I got one from costco and overall it's good value for keeping my child and the guns separate...

it's RSC and not a true safe... don't expect it to stand a prolonged assault.

I installed it inside a closet that makes moving it and prying it open awkward... to buy time for the cops to arrive when my alarm company calls them to my residence...

for the average gun owner it works great... if you have gold bars and stuff inside, spend more money on a true safe...

Those Winchesters are a good buy for the price range. The Liberties are OK if you want a bigger safe and they are on sale but the ones that I have seen in the fatboy and the FB jr are thin walled and tapping on the side didnt impress me. I bought one of the 36 gun Cannon executive vaults from Costco online and had it delivered for a grand, I think they are 1100 now delivered. The Cannon is a much nicer better built safe than the low end liberties like the fatboys.

link to a little smaller one than mine. better warranty than liberty as well.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Produc...=3&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav=&s=1

I have one, and use it for ammo storage now.. It is well made but I could get into it easy. Made in china, same as the low end liberty safes.

Good for bolting down to a wall and floor inside a closet, that has limited access.

Personally I would save money for awhile and go visit the liberty store, he will beat others prices and you will get lighting kit, dehumidifier, door pockets etc thrown in for a heck of a deal...

Don't know about those brands
But when I was out buying a safe a few years back,I looked at a ton of different safes,everywhere I saw them.
I was price shopping and thinking of giving up fire proofness? Anyway one guy was telling me stories about how a lodge burnt down and the contents of the safe burnt up,blah,blah,blah

So,all of the sudden I had an epiphany . Dumb A$$,how much did one rifle cost?,How much is the one with the expensive scope worth? How about all the others,too?

So I spent a little more than just one of my nicer guns cost.Just made sense.

One salesman told me the only complaint he ever had on safes was the safe wasn't big enough.

I ended up with a Browning Medallion with upgrades from Sportsman's Warehouse for a steal when they were in the process of liquidating/transferring to Wholesale Sports. For the security, fire-rating, and features I was looking for, it was better priced than anything else I'd been able to find (given the discount it was offered at). I have and extremely modest collection at the moment, so it's more than big enough (I hope that will change some day). Having the long-gun rack on the door along with the semi-MOLLE webbing and pockets is great for holding a lot of extra stuff. I had looked at the Costco safes at one time, but the one they had when I looked did not have the port in it for passing in a cord (for dehumidifier). I realize one can always drill that hole themselves and add in the appropriate grommet and firestopping, but it's nice when it's already there. Maybe the newer ones have them.

I've also recently added a separate small data-rated unit (keeps a much lower internal temperature to keep media and hard drives safe) to keep a real-time backup of my home server (which backs up all house computers nightly) inside. Not as good as real-time off-site backup, but also a lot less expensive...

The first safe I bought was a cheap one that looked like a wall locker in your gym class. The biggest problem I had with it was that the foam pad "ate" the bluing off some of my guns. I now have a Liberty safe, Whatever safe you choose I would avoid ones with a foam pad.
Andy

Look at, (in person) as many safes as you can.
Get the one "you" think will suit your needs best.
If your on a budget, get the best one you can find in your price range.
Trust me when I say, "Get one that is bigger than what you think you need"! They really don't hold as many guns as they say (unless none of them heave scopes).

On Craigslist in Salem there is a big green safe on casters for $600. I wish I could sell my safe and buy it. Other than than I have a 20 gun American Security combo. They're good.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top