JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
A dials shaft is somewhat delicate and is easily bent and that alone will make spinning harder.
Replacing a dial combination lock assembly is doable, but rather intimidating the first time you do one.

Everything you need to know about mechanical locks and safes can be found in this post. ;) ;)

Info on mechanical locks including what might cause rotation of dial to become difficult (scroll down to "Troubleshooting/Dialing Diagnostics". The entire document is excellent:

EXCELLENT video on how to install a Group 2 S&G dial lock. Get 4 pages ready to take extensive notes:

Another video to watch before you try to change your own lock – not great quality video, but you will pick up a few tips:

Ratings for safe locks – do you want Group 2, 2M, or 1, etc? Per the "Big Red" website, their group 2M locks costs $9 more than the Group 2. Since Group 2Ms are waaaay harder for a thief to manipulate open, I don't understand why they even make Group 2s, but that's what most gun safes have.

Big Red (an Oregon Company) lock prices. Online reviews are good, some say better than S&G:

53 page thread with Q&A for an AMSEC Safe Guy:

Sturdy Safes look to be among the best that the average person might actually be able to afford. With a $1500 budget for the OP, I'd look into these even if it means forking over a tad more dough:
EXCELLENT safe construction info and Sturdy Safe Info - 3 minutes:

Good review of a Sturdy safe – a tad slow, but some good info – think he said his cost $2500 or 2600:

New Big Red lock endurance test – does not apply to old Big Reds – think the new ones have been out 2 or 3 years – over 500,000 cycles at failure – see links, and go to the Day 35 link. Also see links for S&G endurance tests showing S&Gs failing at far fewer cycles. No, I do not work for Big Red or any safe/lock company. Click around the Big Red website for installation instructions, and other good info.

Good luck!

Last Edited:
The worst sound you can hear when changing out a dial lock is the relocker slamming home after the door is closed.
Don't ask me how I know this.

They [Sturdy] seem cool just very pricey as you have to order all the things like a fire liner and itll be like 4 or 5 grand. Which one did you get?

Their non upgraded version has the same steel as the high end Liberty, Fort Knox etc. Which won't keep out pros, but will keep out the gifted amateur with a fire ax or 6' pry bar.

My rule of thumb is spend around 10% of the value of your collection

Big Red locks appear to be made to the same specs & the same materials that Sargent & Greenleaf was using years ago. S&G went to a composite wheel pack, Big Red uses the brass wheels like S&G used to have.

The other nice thing is BR locks have a cushy dial grip area, somewhat like a rubber Hogue grip, gives it a little something to grab onto

I hated seeing S&G cheapen their product, it's always so sad to see that
Here's the S&G lock

Just bought Bounty paper towels for the last time, the new ones are maybe 1/2 as thick--I'm moving on to Brawny or Scott paper towels

Last Edited:
I bought a AMSEC BF series off ebay a few years back fir $1200. Shipping across the country was only $400 freight. For 1600 I have 1/2 thick door and a empty safe that comes in over half a ton. When I closed the door on it I am very certain it will be there always. Buy th best you can and bigger than you think you need, fills uo fast. I have north or 40 guns in there and it FULL.

I bought a AMSEC BF series off ebay a few years back fir $1200. Shipping across the country was only $400 freight. For 1600 I have 1/2 thick door and a empty safe that comes in over half a ton. When I closed the door on it I am very certain it will be there always. Buy th best you can and bigger than you think you need, fills uo fast. I have north or 40 guns in there and it FULL.

The older BF series had a 1/2" thick steel plate, the total door thickness is almost 5". It rates just below a TL-15 & has a 2 hour fire rating

Thank you. Just called them, they're nice over there. Said the safes are made by dakota but branded as spartan and they have a 39 and 50. Good pricing and they deliver to benton city. Probably going to go over there and try to get the bolt pattern to pre drill the holes as they dont install
Track me down when ya get here..I'll loan ya my roto-hammer/bits and you can drill your own holes thru the safe holes so there's no mistakes. I live in Benton City and happy to be one of those "Bentucky" :rolleyes: boys sobo fretts over. Pick up the cinch anchors @ R&H if you buy a safe there. They should have some. Palm Tavern is still closed over the covid thing and so is the range out north of town. Really nice range though. We have a nice American Legion Post if you belong or are a vet.
Deputy Friendly, as sobo calls him, isn't as bad as he's made out to be. I been here 26 years & only 1 ticket for 35 in a 25 & I have a lead foot.
Us Bentucky boys stay out of that snooty-tooty Tri-bubblegumies for good reasons. Murders, drugs, crime, drivers like right out of Cali-forn-IA and ...you get the idea.
I need to replace the sticker on my tailgate for the passer through crowd.."Welcome to Benton City! Now go home!"
:)
Dan

Aw what the heck sobo, I'll even buy you a beer when the bar & range open back up. :s0104:

Well, then you owe me half a beer, cuz the range opened up two weeks ago yesterday... :D

And truth be told, I don't fret over you Bentucky boys at all. Know some fine people out thatta way.

Well, then you owe me half a beer, cuz the range opened up two weeks ago yesterday... :D

And truth be told, I don't fret over you Bentucky boys at all. Know some fine people out thatta way.
I'd of swore on a six-pack I called last week and no one there... Darn senility must be getting me. Good to hear cause I could use some 'me' time. Name yer poison and I'll get some for ya.

Dan

Tractor Supply Chain stores carry Fat Boy Jr. model safes (watch for sales flyers). They are about 800 lbs. I paid 1K for mine several years ago. They can be configured a couple ways to accommodate your collection. I also have a colonial 50 it's about 1000 lbs. I also have a Mosler document safe 42" x 36" x 70" tall. Great pistol collection safe. Made in 1898 near as I can pinpoint from the serial number. Kinda interesting seems that in 1898 they were more concerned with storing documents than money or guns makes sense I guess with deeds and claims being the items with value then. It has a class A fire rating which is what gave me the clue that it was a document safe. Mosler has it's own unique story, quite the company! That sucker is probably close to 3k lbs. My forklift was bouncing the back tires all the way into place. It's on fixed one direction casters so good luck moving it now that it's built around in place. It could be done but not easily. It would amaze you if you have ever watched the safe movers move one how easy it is to move a 1k or heavier safe if it has a flat bottom and hard floor. Literally one guy with very little effort with the right equipment.

I'd of swore on a six-pack I called last week and no one there... Darn senility must be getting me. Good to hear cause I could use some 'me' time. Name yer poison and I'll get some for ya.

Dan
Depends upon what day and/or time you called. The range house is not staffed on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays.
On Wednesdays, Fridays, and the weekends, it's only staffed from 0900 to 1500 hrs. So those are the only days and times that someone will answer the phone for sure. During the non-public-use days or times, if there's someone in the range house, they have no obligation to answer. They might. They might not.

Unk what day/time I called cause I have a memory leak. Thinking about getting the tattoo on my forehead so I know whom I am in the mirror.
Was out (the range) today and found out I have another bad/broke scope on the old pistol. It's the 2nd one from Burris for the same issue. 26 clicks and the impact doesn't move. Nice tight group though..1" @ 50'
Cheap stuff/gear begets bad results.

Really nice day & weather with just a few shooters. I'll still buy the beer AFTER the shoot when the Palm opens up again..:)
And if Speleogist ever gets here, he's welcome as well. Least I can do for a fellow Bentuckyian and an immigrant..
:p:p:p..just kidding.

Dan

Hello, I'm moving to Benton City next week and need a gun safe recommendation. I've got a small liberty safe but I've outgrown it. I've got about 20 or so guns including about 12 long guns so I need a decent sized safe.

My budget is about 1500, but i dont want a junky safe. I was thinking about getting another smaller, high quality safe as the larger 40 or so cubic inch safes in that price range have quality issues.

Anyone have a recommendation? In any case safe is going in garage and will be bolted to floor.

Thank you
Ok I have not been here in awhile but I suggest Sports Afield! Phenomenal fire rating and a bunch of other stuff! Weight etc is as in the screen shot I took! The SA7240p is what I have! I will add a couple of pictures as well! :D:s0108::s0010::s0010::s0010:

9E34572A-2EC5-4DDB-91DC-101651B8993D.jpeg D2F19349-B6D5-477D-8EBA-C7B010759A55.jpeg B90A2DA9-041A-4906-83EE-1E833AB33E4C.jpeg 782BEB2B-5D6B-410F-B6E9-2987EA0C985A.jpeg 029DC5A1-1266-4632-A75B-6D72CD60F2E5.jpeg 55F64A6B-FDF9-4BCB-BB0C-79F17B6282D2.jpeg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top