JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am looking for a gun safe that will hold at least 20 rifles and has some shelving. Don't care about the color or what type of lock (dial or digital) but would prefer it have a good fireproof rating and to be in good shape with no issues. I can pick-up.

Thanks for looking!

I was at the last gun show in Eugene and there was a guy there from "Mountain View Safe co." called Charlie.
He had two safes - one was probably a 10-14 gun and the other was huge and would probably hold 25 or more.
I think it was $650 for the smaller and a little over $1000 for the bigger one but I don't recall.
All I remember was for the size of safe it was at least half the price of the others I've seen out there.
His number is 503 706 7347

Thanks, I got a hold of Charlie and went to go take a look at his safes. He has a 16,22 and 39. They seem like there pretty descent safes and there are a few other people that I found who have bought from him and have been very happy with there safe.

Thanks for the heads up guys!! I will be buying from Charlie.

Here are the prices he quoted me but I imagine they could always change. When I went to go look at them I noticed they don't have a name brand or anything but seemed to be just as good quality from what I could tell as the name brand ones. All of them only come in black and you can get the in either digital or dial locks and he charges the same price for both.

16 gun safe $450

22 gun safe $650

39 gun safe $950 (this thing is huge!!)

Would anyone be interested in a group buy?

Let Charlie know of this forum and hopefully he can place an ad with some specs and pictures. Those prices are great but I know I would like to have more information.

I spoke with Charlie about a month ago about the site. I recommended that he join and look into becoming a supporting vendor. Hopefully he follows through because it looks like a lot of you need a new/bigger safe.

I actually purchased one of the large safes that Mountain View sells,but it will not be ready until March.
( It has a 39 gun capacity,we will see about that.)
After comparing them to other brands,yes there are some short comings,but for the money they appear to be a decent bargain.
I opted to NOT have the electric key pad,but instead requested a manual tumbler.According to Charlie,there are only 2 of those type coming in the next shipping,one is mine :D
At 1060 lbs,1/2 thick door,10g sides and back,it will do what it is supposed to.
One of the short comings i noticed,the locking lugs on the hinged side of the door are welded to a fixed postion,but the size of them,and the way they are mounted make them strong enough to do the job.
Another comparison,Fort Knox safes do not paint the bottom of their safes,they can and will rust unless vinyl or some similar material is placed down before the safe is set into postion.The ones from Mountain View are completely painted,after being primered.
Yes,this is may be a get what you pay for propisition,but i think the safes are a good value for the dollar amount.
I will post up my conclusions after it arrives.

I was at the last gun show in Eugene and there was a guy there from "Mountain View Safe co." called Charlie.
He had two safes - one was probably a 10-14 gun and the other was huge and would probably hold 25 or more.
I think it was $650 for the smaller and a little over $1000 for the bigger one but I don't recall.
All I remember was for the size of safe it was at least half the price of the others I've seen out there.
His number is 503 706 7347

Do you know if he has a web site? I am looking for a larger safe, but I want to know specifics such as fire rating, material used, how many locking bars, etc. I have a brochure for Fort Knox and the one that suits my needs is $2000+, but if there is a comparable product without so many frills for much less, I'd rather go the "cheaper and not as pretty and snazzy" route.

I checked out the Mountain View Safes as well, they look like an excellent safe for the money. They were selling a 39 gun safe for $950, which in my opinion is an absolute steal. Not sure if they have a website or not, but I'll look around and see what I can find.

I don't believe they have a website.
Rockkrawler....you may want to talk to Charlie about the key pad vs. manual tumbler. I talked with him in depth about the difference and he has actually had trouble with a couple of the manual tumblers, but never one of the electronic key pads. That of course may not hold true over time as it seems the manual version would last longer, but to date the electronic keys have proven to work 100% of the time. Just a thought before you drop a thousand bucks.

Thanks for the update on Charlies safes. I am planning on buying one of the midsized safes from him as soon as my taxes come back. I also will post pics of it and my thoughts once it is mounted.

Oh yeah and regarding the website, Charlie is a bit "old-school" and does not have much advertising or websites of any kind...Super nice guy but prefers to do everything over the phone and not on the net. He sells a ton of safes but with a little advertising and maybe joining some boards I bet he could make a killing!

Someone should suggest he purchase a small banner here. Good investment for $20/mo. I bet he'd sell at least a safe or two each month!

I don't believe they have a website.
Rockkrawler....you may want to talk to Charlie about the key pad vs. manual tumbler. I talked with him in depth about the difference and he has actually had trouble with a couple of the manual tumblers, but never one of the electronic key pads. That of course may not hold true over time as it seems the manual version would last longer, but to date the electronic keys have proven to work 100% of the time. Just a thought before you drop a thousand bucks.

Shooter,i did talk in depth to Charlie about the differences,but he assured me that i should have no problems with the tumbler over the elect type.
In his shipments,he usually only gets 2 of the tumbler types.
I asked if that was due to some problem with the tumbler locks,he said no,just that most folks prefer the electronic.
He was actually hoping more folks would start buy the 'old skool type,so he could get more ordered,but so far he limits the shipments to 2 of those.

Joey,
I did mention this to him,but he didn't seem to be very concerned about advertising.He is semi retired,and seems to like it that way.

Yeah that's the problem with many of the type of businesses I'd like to advertise here. They sell a good product at a fair price, so they don't need much advertising :D

Members are allowed to ask whatever they want for items posted in the classified sections. If you don't like the price of an item, simply move on. Posting negative comments will result in the revocation of your classified privileges.