JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a FatBoy safe, 42"W X 24"D X 60"H and it has one 18" Golden Rod in it that I was given several years ago. I know this isn't enough for this safe, so I am wanting to add another heater along with a separate dehumidifier.

Tell me what you are currently running that works well, or tell me what you did that didn't work so well.

My safe is in an unheated garage, against an interior wall, if that matters.

I go by.....

Storage = Cool and dry place.

So then (without getting all technical)......
If I'm feeling comfortable......then, the guns (reloading supplies and ammo) probably feel the same way too.

And don't forget to......
Inspect.

Aloha, Mark

What is comfortable (to me)?

Hummm.....why did this suddenly pop into my head?

Rrrrrright...... because it's getting close to the holidays.

Aloha, Mark

I have an 18" Golden Rod on the bottom, and a rechargeable Eva Dry on top. Maintains 50-55% RH in the safe at all times, and mine is similar in size to yours.

Used to have my safe in a similar situation. Golden rod was all I used. No rust issues.

The rod works by keeping the safe interior slightly warmer than the outside so the metals don't get cold enough to allow condensation to form. It doesn't remove humidity.

If worried about humidity, add a dehumidifier.

I too have used these for quite a while. Keep two in each safe. The one in the house goes a good while till needing to be plugged in. The safe in the garage much more often. When one of them shows even a little sign of needing recharge I plug one in one day, swap out and do the other. Things run about a $20 and are super simple as they have a plug on the bottom. Have a hook on bottom of a shelf at my bench with a short cord. Hang the one recharging there to remind me it's there.

Evadry.png

An incandescent light bulb. I also store guns with a fair amount of CLP in the bore, which has to be taken out before shooting. Safe is in the house. I don't think garage storage is a good idea, but if I were forced to do it I'd think about insulating the safe or at least getting it off the concrete floor. You want it dry and higher in temperature than the surrounding environment.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top