JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Safe. 1. It's nice to have and store your firearms in. 2. Added security from thieves and kids 3. Do I really need a third reason.

Get a safe, I was in a similar position last fall and I don't even have kids but having my guns locked up is much more comforting than if they were just in a closet or drawer somewhere.

It is utterly irresponsible to own guns and no gun safe. As soon as I bought a long gun (My gal and I had only one handgun each at that rime, carry weapons) I bought a safe. I was 21

Costco has some good deals on safes and there's also NW Safe

Like you already said, you already knew the answer when you asked the question. I bought a very nice safe 20 years ago so the cost becomes a very distant memory very soon and you will love having everything secure. New guns will come in time…

My only problem with a safe is EVERYONE knows or thinks he knows where you keep your guns/valuables. I always picture an intruder strong arming the wife/kids to open the safe. If I had the cash, a hidden built-in closet or floor safe would be awesome. Said safe would be a secret to neighbors and talkative children. I might let the wife know lol! As to safety without a safe you have disassembly and dispersing, locks, hiding spots, ammo locked and seperate also. As far as getting ripped off, I don't talk too much about what I have. Your collection is getting large enough where a safe might be the best for you though.

OK, OK. I was secretly hoping you guys would talk me out of what I knew was right. You know, when I was a kid growing up in Alaska everyone's house had a beautiful gun cabinet. At get togethers me and my friends would always go to it and see what each others parents had. Some locked, some didn't, but it we never even toyed with the idea of touching the handle of the door to one of them because we knew what would happen to us if we got caught.
Such beautiful Weatherby's, and Winchesters. My favorite back then was always the Marlins. They just looked sleeker than the others. We'd point to each one and the kid of the house would list what animals had been taken with that particular rifle, because to us back then that defined it. Those rifles were like swords of a knight to us. We would sneek to the top of the stairs from the basement and listen to the hunting stories being told around the fireplace.

Sorry, went off on a memory there. Point was that you used to be able to display your firearms, and now you have to hide them away. Very sad.
that was a different life back then, bet you left the door unlocked too

Just bought a safe for the pistols, I feel better now that I have it, but I know what your going through. You will be happier knowing you have it. It is kind of cool when you bring your friends over and show them and they look at you and say "yeah I need to get a safe too."

I'm going to order a sturdy safe tomorrow, Gun Safes : Fire Safe Manufacturer : Sturdy Gun Safe. I've only got a handful of guns, enough for one in each hand for each person in the house, but I would feel better about locking them up more than just in my house. They make their safes with 7ga steel, much thicker than the others for the same price level. Also, call or email them for a quote, and it's about 10% cheaper than MSRP.

The NRA and your homeowners insurance covers theft of firearms, but why take the chance? Get a safe.

Curious...which option do you guys think is safer in a home with no children or unsupervised visitors?

1) Gun safe in the garage bolted to the floor in a place where everyone can see it when the garage door is open

2) Guns hidden in a closet inside a monitored alarmed home? Maybe in one of those cheap Stack-On lockboxes?

Devil's advocate here, especially since it sounds like you've already decided on a safe (a good choice, BTW)...

Some people get way too complacent with a safe and they stop teaching their kids gun safety. If you decide against the safe (or while you're waiting for your new safe to be installed), it's a good idea to keep up the training you've already started with your kids.

My father repeatedly drilled gun safety into my mind, and once I was of age, he would take me regularly to the range and let me help (or watch) when he would clean and maintain the guns in the house. I was probably only about 8 when I stumbled upon the key to the safe, hidden in a secret drawer in my parents' desk (I was snooping around for Xmas presents). Even after I tried the key and found it was in fact the gun safe key, I never once used it to take out any of the guns on my own... not to play with them, or even touch them. I couldn't even move the key away from the it's hiding spot in the desk without feeling guilty after the day I found it.

My dad had conditioned me too well to do otherwise.

A friend of mine is a heating/cooling installer and he placed his gun safe in the garage next to his gas furnace. He made up some steel duct work that covers the front, top & sides of the safe. He just pushes it over the safe, and it really looks like it's part of the furnace air duct work.

Curious...which option do you guys think is safer in a home with no children or unsupervised visitors?

1) Gun safe in the garage bolted to the floor in a place where everyone can see it when the garage door is open

2) Guns hidden in a closet inside a monitored alarmed home? Maybe in one of those cheap Stack-On lockboxes?
I vote for #2, out of sight out of mind.

#1 Got my safe from craigslist. Weighs over 4000 pounds. No way can I hide it.
Good luck and stay safe,
Mike

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews