Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Gun safe lighting??

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by rstews, Apr 11, 2013.

1. rstews

rstews Kelso, WA New Member

I'm setting up a new gun safe and want to add inside lights. I have 120 volt ac power inside. I was thinking LED strips down each side with a switch on the door or motion sensor. Any experience or suggestions?

2. Kruejl

Kruejl Hillsboro Moderator of the Coriolis effect Staff Member Gold Supporter Silver Supporter

LED strips are a great idea. With a magnetic switch (RV steps use a magnetic switch to open and close when the door opens and closes).

3. Intention

Intention Hillsboro,oregon Active Member

Or a bit extreme I guess, but I can unlock and find anything in my safe no lighting needed.

4. teflon97239

teflon97239 Portland, OR Well-Known Member

Take this from a guy who just crawled out from under the sink replacing a faucet...

I got a few of these at Harbor Freight for tool bags, vehicles, etc. They're magnetic and stick to the door of most gun safes/storage lockers too. $3.49 today, I think I grabbed mine at $2.49 on sale. Worth every penny either way.

Portable Worklight & Flashlight - 27 LED Light Flashlight

5. rstews

Thanks for the replys. Where can I buy the LED's or a kit?

6. Kruejl

Kruejl Hillsboro Moderator of the Coriolis effect Staff Member Gold Supporter Silver Supporter

7. robbijer

robbijer Salem Oregon Member

I picked up a two pack of led strips at Costco, they are battery powered and motion activated so they come on when the door opens and auto turn off. I think they were less than $20 and work pretty good.

8. Kruejl

Linky? That sounds like a great deal!

9. robbijer

robbijer Salem Oregon Member

I bought them in store, I doubt they are on their web site

10. mosinguy1

mosinguy1 out by the ocean Active Member

Wow I must be cheap, we just put a battery powered push light Maybe 2 bucks.

11. rstews

I like cheap :D but I figure I have a power cord inside already might as well go with ac powered lights.

12. rstews

Again, thanks for all the input!

13. sknoch

sknoch Oregon New Member

I just bought a kit from lite tech auto and while I have not installed it yet, I am very impressed. The kit comes wit everything you need including a door switch. You can run them on either 110 or battery power. You can find them at LED Gun Safe Light System

14. coop44

coop44 Tacoma ,WA Well-Known Member

a mirror ball and a strobe, to give it that 80's disco feel

15. SPHBS

SPHBS Portland Active Member

16. teflon97239

teflon97239 Portland, OR Well-Known Member

Good idea with the push light. Dollar Tree has them if you don't mind the Lucky Charms shapes... pink hearts, yellow moons, etc.

17. oknow

oknow amboy wa. Well-Known Member

Mini christmas lights work good and also you don't need a dehumidifier if you leave them on all the time

18. cpy911

cpy911 Newberg Active Member

I bought LED light strips off EBay. With some soldering and wiring all of the lights are hidden under the shelving. The whole thing lights up inside. I used a toggle switch and turn it on and off manually. Works ok. Best $30 I spent and was a fun project.

19. dusty

dusty Mountlake Terrace Active Member

[]Sylvania Mosaic LED. from Costco $29.........12V... strips w/3m tape 3/8 in wide, 1/8 in thick....remote to change colors and brightness.
    easy install...Ill post a pic later...........A+++.....runs on 110 v

Mezzovex and (deleted member) like this.
  20. rstews

This is what I considering. Just going to run strips down the sides behind the front frame of the safe so they shine into the shelves. Maybe put a door activated or motion activated switch on them. Have to practice up on my soldering though:confused: