Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Gun safe decision help

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by hondakilla98, Dec 16, 2009.

1. hondakilla98

hondakilla98 beaverton, or Active Member

I'm in the market for a gun safe. I want to spend less than $1000, and have a fire rating of 60+ minutes, 10 gauge or thicker body, 600+ pounds, and a 20+ capacity, but it needs to fit in my closet. So max height of 65", max width 37", and max depth 26".

I've narrowed it down to a 22 gun safe from Charlie at Mtn View gun safe $700. Or a 22 gun Big Horn safe from Bulldog Tuff Safes $850. They are probably made in the same factory in china. Since they are basically identical in features.

Here are the pluses of the bighorn. Fire rating is 10 minutes longer, its 70 lbs heavier, it's UL listed, has a name brand lock, is 30 minutes closer to my house, is in stock available now(mtn view is out of stock untill end of Jan), and is from a nationwide company that is likely to be around for a while, and will sell for more money later because i can refer people to there website and show them the paper materials and stickers that come with the bighorn safe.

So the only bad thing i have found about the big horn is the difference in price, $150.

I'm open to any ideas and or opinions you may have. What would you do?

2. spectra

spectra The Couve Moderator Staff Member Bronze Supporter

Well you are in the same boat as me:laugh: I want a 22 from Charlie but they are not available until next year. But after looking at one of his safes I think I am going to wait or just get a 20 from him now as that is all he has left. I looked at he Big horns and they do not have a 1 1/2 pin like charlies they are only a 1 inch pin. If you want a 22 safe for even cheaper Browning has the theftgaurd for 749.00 and it is a 22 safe 30 inchs wide and 24 deep. Wholesale Sports or whatever it is call now (was sportmans) has them. Good luck and post up what you end up getting. I am tired of looking at safes and beating my head against the wall. Oh and as for the fire rating I do not even really care as if there is a fire most everything inside will be toast anyway.

3. hondakilla98

is the pins being 1/2" bigger going to make any difference? it seems to me that once you have a 1" pin that the door steel and or body would bend first. and my house is a ranch style and my safe will be at the end of the house away from the gas line. so a one hour rating should be plenty.

4. hondakilla98

I bought a Bighorn 30 gun safe for $999 from bulldog tuff safes in Warren, OR with electronic lock and he threw in a dehumidifier. It's a very nice safe with ext dimensions of 24x39x59, a 70 minute fire rating, 10 guage steel body, 10 1 1/2" locking pins, and it weighs 830 lbs. I'm very happy. I'd definitely reccomend doing business with danny from bulldog.

5. TAT2D

TAT2D Portland Member

I'm kinda' hoping the folks that got lots of gear for Christmas will need new, larger safes and the smaller ones will start turning up on the 'classified' forum.

MrB

6. warnerwh

warnerwh Portland, OR Member

This thread is a must read for anyone wanting to buy a safe. There are several safe dealers explaining the truth about safes due to the fact and as usual there's a lot of people giving BAD info. Unlike many threads these people know what they're talking about. Here it is:

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=491276

Read it with an open mind if you've been reading much advice from non dealers or manufacturers. One thing I found very interesting is how worthless fire ratings are.

7. hondakilla98

8. spectra

Glad to see you got what you wanted:thumbup:

I ended up getting a 20 from Charlie as it fit in my upstairs closet alot beter than the 22. Plus it weighed a little less. I look at it this way If I need more will go with the big one and put it in the garage. That way I have 2 safes in the house.

9. tionico

tionico Thurston County Well-Known Member

Personally, I like the idea of two different safes, in two different parts of the house. If the boogers find one and raid it, they'll not be too likely to figure there's yet another, and go on the prowl for that, too. In other words, about half your assortment will not be found. Most times....

10. spectra

Yes I like that idea also. And as for guns wood keep the good ones in the house:thumbup: The garage safe would be for the less desireable weapons and alot of ammo. Not to say any weapons are not desirable;)

11. hondakilla98

It's a little late for that. I already went digital. and i'm glad I did everytime I open my safe.

12. madcratebuilder

madcratebuilder Ardenwald, OR Well-Known Member

With the battery powder cutting tools available today no safe is safe. It well slow down a determine thief but if they want your guns and know what they are doing they well get them.

What a gun safe protects you from are the bash and grasp tweakers. For what a safe costs you can put a steel door and frame on your closet and have a mini gun room.

13. spectra

As for the electronic locks I think they are great! I looked at the combos and the elect. stuff. Well bought elec and did not look back. Easy to pull the lock and use the key if I have issues. And alot easier to hit a few buttons to open it:thumbup:

14. rusobr2

rusobr2 prineville,or Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

this may or may not work--but i bought a sentry 12 gun.i can't even remember the price,but i glued 1/2 sheetrock on it , and finished it off with rounded corners and all-then painted it to match the room-i know i increased my burn rate-but have no idea how much-just a thought-
    steven

15. hondakilla98

So you covered the outside of the safe with sheet rock? To blend it in to the room, so it was less noticeable? Or for fire proofing? Or both? If it was to make it less noticeable you should post a pic. That sounds interesting. If it's for fire i don't know how much sheetrock on the outside will help in a fire. From what i've read, the sheetrock helps block heat, but also realeases steam as it's heated which helps keep the air cooler inside the safe.

16. rusobr2

rusobr2 prineville,or Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

ya -kinda right on both parts,and when my son gets back from dallas -i will post a pick

17. tionico

tionico Thurston County Well-Known Member

Even sheetrock (fire rock) on the outside will help raise the fire rating.... I think double half inch, taped, gives a one hour rating to bare wood studs.

Great idea, blending it in to the surrounding room. If they don't spot it, they won't think of busting in to it. Good move.