JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Another option for fireproofing and protecting your safe from attack is building a frame around it and attaching the frame to the wall and the floor. I use layers of cement board on the id and od of the frame. You just need to build the walls in sections (leaving the outer cement boards off at first). Get it in place with steel framing and attach the outer boards once it is complete. You can also leave a couple of holes in the outer layer and fill it with foam or other insulation to boost the fire rating. I had one guy tell me at the SHOT Show that he did a similar build but used sand to fill the walls and top.

Build the front extended out a few inches and you can also build a covering that can screw into place covering the door in case of a pending fire in your area.

Having this type of a buffer will extend the fire rating of any safe,
If you're going that route be sure to avoid putting anything with gypsum in it inside the safe. Also use a safe that doesn't contain gypsum - a lot of the less expensive ones do. Gypsum keeps the temperature down by releasing water vapor into the air, which is of course not particularly good for metal and some electronics. And bear in mind that in the case of a big fire, you may not be allowed back into the house for half a day, sometimes more than one day. That's a long time for your stuff to be locked in a sauna.

If you're going that route be sure to avoid putting anything with gypsum in it inside the safe. Also use a safe that doesn't contain gypsum - a lot of the less expensive ones do. Gypsum keeps the temperature down by releasing water vapor into the air, which is of course not particularly good for metal and some electronics. And bear in mind that in the case of a big fire, you may not be allowed back into the house for half a day, sometimes more than one day. That's a long time for your stuff to be locked in a sauna.

I didn't say to add anything to the safe. The outer area is cement board.

If you have a cheap or expensive safe and whether it has gypsum board in it or not is a issue by itself and doesn't relate to my comments. If you are protecting your safe from heat then it only makes sense that your safe won't get as hot and the gypsum in it wold release less moisture.

I didn't say to add anything to the safe. The outer area is cement board.

If you have a cheap or expensive safe and whether it has gypsum board in it or not is a issue by itself and doesn't relate to my comments. If you are protecting your safe from heat then it only makes sense that your safe won't get as hot and the gypsum in it wold release less moisture.
I saw
I use layers of cement board on the id and od of the frame.
and must have thought that you meant inside the safe. I see that you meant inside the outer frame that you created. Sorry, didn't mean to upset you.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top