JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm in favor of air tight as you have a much better chance of controlling the environment. Throw in a Golden Rod or similar, a large container of desiccant, and a humidity meter so you can monitor that environment and you should be good to go.

But I'd certainly be interested in hearing from someone that had a safe and couldn't get the humidity stabilized. What type of conditions were you in and what was causing the moisture?

I have heard that the sheetrock has moisture and chemicals in it. First thing I did to mine, before loading it with guns, was to put a portable electric heater in it and heat it up to 90 or 100 degrees for several hours with the door open slightly so moisture and chemicals could get out. If you do it, keep an eye on it, don't do it overnight while sleeping or when away from the house - don't want to start a fire.

If the safe is against a cold wall, a cold floor, or in a cold room, I'd think that would make it more likely to have condensation. And if you bring a cold gun inside the warm, humid house, it's going to condense moisture. So, fire off a few rounds right before you step inside. :)

If your safe is "air tight" keep in mind that the moisture trapped in the safe (every time you open it for instance) has to go somewhere when dehumidifying, so I suggest a desiccant type dehumidifier.

Goldenrod type dehumidifiers are basically just a low-intensity heating element that raises the internal safe temperature (and eventually the contents) above the dew point, thus preventing condensation to form inside, BUT the moisture has to be able to go somewhere, so a "leaky" safe with door fire-gaskets that expand/swell in high heat would be optimal.

Unless your safe isn't opened but once in a blue moon, achieving "air-tightness" is as useful as webbed toes for swimming faster- IMHO

Never have seen a truly airtight gun safe. You want a bit of air exchange. A goldenrod large enough to keep the contents slightly above the ambient temp outside the safe will prevent condensation of moisture on the guns.

Demographics have allot to do with what may work best, as well as was mentions outside wall placements could easily allow varied temp changes to raise humidity.

Demographics have allot to do with what may work best, as well as was mentions outside wall placements could easily allow varied temp changes to raise humidity.

Demographics?

Demographics are quantifiable characteristics of a given population. Demographic analysis can cover whole societies or groups defined by criteria such as education, nationality, religion, and ethnicity.

LOL.... o_O:rolleyes: :D;)

Demographics?

Demographics are quantifiable characteristics of a given population. Demographic analysis can cover whole societies or groups defined by criteria such as education, nationality, religion, and ethnicity.
LOL.... o_O:rolleyes: :D;)

I don't have answer for why I typed that.......... LOL I meant geographic.
Guess I can't work and surf here at the same time :eek::rolleyes::D

I have heard that the sheetrock has moisture and chemicals in it. First thing I did to mine, before loading it with guns, was to put a portable electric heater in it and heat it up to 90 or 100 degrees for several hours with the door open slightly so moisture and chemicals could get out. If you do it, keep an eye on it, don't do it overnight while sleeping or when away from the house - don't want to start a fire.

If the safe is against a cold wall, a cold floor, or in a cold room, I'd think that would make it more likely to have condensation. And if you bring a cold gun inside the warm, humid house, it's going to condense moisture. So, fire off a few rounds right before you step inside. :)

I did the same thing with my Fort Knox when I bought it, I let it air out with a heater blowing in it for 24 hours (shut heater off overnight)

Uhhh, if it's a fire rated safe it better be air tight fellas. I know mine is. And I have a hot rod in it for moisture control.

Fire rated safes should have an expanding gasket.

Heats up and expands before same heat can affect contents of said safe...for whatever measure of time safe is rated for.

Not air tight, until there is a fire.

Fire rated safes should have an expanding gasket.

Heats up and expands before same heat can affect contents of said safe...for whatever measure of time safe is rated for.

Not air tight, until there is a fire.

True, but that doesn't mean they are "vented" either. When I close my safe, it feels pretty darned air tight. Close enough. :)

True, but that doesn't mean they are "vented" either. When I close my safe, it feels pretty darned air tight. Close enough. :)

It's not a real vent hole or anything people are talking about, you just don't want the door super tight. It will vent out of the seal around the door, on quality safes there is a door adjustment to make it tighter or looser.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top