JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Legally no.

RCW 9.41.050: Carrying firearms.

RCW 9.41.050
Carrying firearms.

(1)(a) Except in the person's place of abode or fixed place of business, a person shall not carry a pistol concealed on his or her person without a license to carry a concealed pistol.

(b) Every licensee shall have his or her concealed pistol license in his or her immediate possession at all times that he or she is required by this section to have a concealed pistol license and shall display the same upon demand to any police officer or to any other person when and if required by law to do so. Any violation of this subsection (1)(b) shall be a class 1 civil infraction under chapter 7.80 RCW and shall be punished accordingly pursuant to chapter 7.80 RCW and the infraction rules for courts of limited jurisdiction.

(2)(a) A person shall not carry or place a loaded pistol in any vehicle unless the person has a license to carry a concealed pistol and: (i) The pistol is on the licensee's person, (ii) the licensee is within the vehicle at all times that the pistol is there, or (iii) the licensee is away from the vehicle and the pistol is locked within the vehicle and concealed from view from outside the vehicle.

(b) A violation of this subsection is a misdemeanor.

(3)(a) A person at least eighteen years of age who is in possession of an unloaded pistol shall not leave the unloaded pistol in a vehicle unless the unloaded pistol is locked within the vehicle and concealed from view from outside the vehicle.

(b) A violation of this subsection is a misdemeanor.

(4) Nothing in this section permits the possession of firearms illegal to possess under state or federal law.

[2003 c 53 § 28; 1997 c 200 § 1; 1996 c 295 § 4; 1994 sp.s. c 7 § 405; 1982 1st ex.s. c 47 § 3; 1961 c 124 § 4; 1935 c 172 § 5; RRS § 2516-5.]

So legally it can be unloaded in the vehicle.

To have it loaded AND get caught AND have an LEO want to charge you it would only be a misdemeanor.............

My question was pertaining to the vehicle being a parked camper at a registered campsite where i would be spending the night. Would this be a different situation??? Thanks for your help. Want to stay out of trouble.

The laws says "any vehicle" as I colored in red.

I am not a lawyer but to me "any vehicle" means any vehicle right or wrong. I am not aware of an exemption for RV/Camper/Van/ect.

I'd do it without reservation. I used to go tent camping with my dad and we would use a pup tent. When we went to sleep the .22 rifle would be loaded and laying right between our sleeping bags. I don't see much difference. Doesn't mean that I'm being legal, but if I needed that gun, I wouldn't give any consideration to what's legal.

I live in washington, i will be going camping in my van. My CPL doesn't come through before I go. In my house I have a right to a loaded gun, how about my "home" on wheels???

Thank You!!

do you have a receipt? In Oregon the receipt is what you carry until your cpl
comes Thur.

comes Thur.

In WA you fill out the paperwork and pay for it. This does not mean you will be approved to get a permit so a receipt will not work.

Your permit does not come until the background check has cleared and it is mailed to you.

Hmmm... I may be wrong here, but, it does say "a loaded pistol". So a defense shotgun or long gun of choice would be legal. (?).

Sorry not legal either.

RCW 77.15.460
Loaded firearm in vehicle — Unlawful use or possession — Penalty.

(1) A person is guilty of unlawful possession of a loaded firearm in a motor vehicle if:

(a) The person carries, transports, conveys, possesses, or controls a rifle or shotgun in or on a motor vehicle; and

(b) The rifle or shotgun contains shells or cartridges in the magazine or chamber, or is a muzzle-loading firearm that is loaded and capped or primed.

(2) A person is guilty of unlawful use of a loaded firearm if the person negligently shoots a firearm from, across, or along the maintained portion of a public highway.

(3) Unlawful possession of a loaded firearm in a motor vehicle or unlawful use of a loaded firearm is a misdemeanor.

(4) This section does not apply if the person:

(a) Is a law enforcement officer who is authorized to carry a firearm and is on duty within the officer's respective jurisdiction;

(b) Possesses a disabled hunter's permit as provided by RCW 77.32.237 and complies with all rules of the department concerning hunting by persons with disabilities.

(5) For purposes of this section, a firearm shall not be considered loaded if the detachable clip or magazine is not inserted in or attached to the firearm.

[1999 c 258 § 7; 1998 c 190 § 28.]

In Oregon you can carry concealed while going to,during and coming from hunting or fishing as long as you have a current license for what you are doing. I do not know if there is a simalar portion to the laws in Washington though, you may want to check on that and carry a pocket fisherman concealed too.....

I do have recpt, but I agree, that isn't a license to carry.
Its ironic, i originally got into handguns for SD in the woods.
I will never go camping in the winter again, but I am this week.
My CPL arrives in a month,so I will wait. My knife and a huge mag lite will have to work.Not that i actually expect an encounter, but????
So I "won't carry and will probably be murdered by 3,000 illegal maids/meth manufacturers.

Stay safe and thanks again!!!!

comes Thur.

My instructor informed me differently..

Cite about this please?

IMHO though, I think the camping in a vehicle may be a grey area "due for case law".

RVs.. Hooked up or not.. Trailers, hooked to truck?

I have a tent trailer. If Im unhooked and camping in it. pffft.. I'll take that to court. Its not a vehicle in that form..

At any rate.. RV or Van/camper maybe pushing it a little.. But again.. Sounds like grey area to me. Push that open carry legality and I am camping/outdoorsing grey area if anyone gives you a hard time.

That wasn't my understanding of Oregon's CHL. When I applied for mine I didn't know whether or not I got it until the day it showed up in the mail. Tillamook Sheriff's office mentioned nothing of carrying the receipt as a sort of temporary license.

When I put in for mine you had to wait till it came in the mail to carry, they stated that at the courthouse, but that was a while ago. I dont imagine that has changed due to the fact the background check isnt even started at that point.

IMHO though, I think the camping in a vehicle may be a grey area "due for case law".

I totally agree but I can not reference anything on that.

RVs.. Hooked up or not.. Trailers, hooked to truck?

I have a tent trailer. If Im unhooked and camping in it. pffft.. I'll take that to court. Its not a vehicle in that form..

At any rate.. RV or Van/camper maybe pushing it a little.. But again.. Sounds like grey area to me. Push that open carry legality and I am camping/outdoorsing grey area if anyone gives you a hard time.

I agree that a trailer is not vehicle by definition so no worries there. The OP said his van though and that or even an RV hooked up is still a vehicle.

I do have recpt, but I agree, that isn't a license to carry.
Its ironic, i originally got into handguns for SD in the woods.
I will never go camping in the winter again, but I am this week.
My CPL arrives in a month,so I will wait. My knife and a huge mag lite will have to work.Not that i actually expect an encounter, but????
So I "won't carry and will probably be murdered by 3,000 illegal maids/meth manufacturers.

Stay safe and thanks again!!!!

You dont need a permit to carry your gun openly and loaded. That is 100% legal as WA IS an open carry state. With the way WA law is written there can be no loaded guns in/on (atv) a vehicle unless it is a handgun with a carry permit.

I am not telling to break the law but again IF you are caught with a loaded gun in the car (long gun or handgun) while parked it is VERY unlikely you will be charged with anything and even if so it is a misdemeanor.

Just some things to think about.

Here are all the gun laws for WA I suggest you read it a few times and bookmark it for easy reference, http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9.41

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top