JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I live in washington, i will be going camping in my van. My CPL doesn't come through before I go. In my house I have a right to a loaded gun, how about my "home" on wheels???

Thank You!!

The people you fear in the wilderness while camping have not spent the last few days agonizing over the finer points of current firearm laws, or reading pages of legal opinions from those who stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night. Use your head and grow a set...

According to the above exceptions, you CAN LEGALLY have a loaded gun in your VEHICLE without a CPL. :s0155:

It does not say anything about loaded, or in a vehicle. I am not a lawyer but that is how I read all of that.

<broken link removed>

Gun laws in the United States (by state) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Washington State Laws/CC relating to motor vehicles

https://www.northwestfirearms.com/t...uently-asked-questions-about-gun-carry.34323/

Gun Laws in Washington - What are the Gun Laws in Washington

All of these places say that it is illegal to carry in a VEHICLE LOADED without a Permit.

I can not find even one site that disagrees with that, I tried to.

It does not say anything about loaded, or in a vehicle. I am not a lawyer but that is how I read all of that.

<broken link removed>

Gun laws in the United States (by state) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Washington State Laws/CC relating to motor vehicles

https://www.northwestfirearms.com/t...uently-asked-questions-about-gun-carry.34323/

Gun Laws in Washington - What are the Gun Laws in Washington

All of these places say that it is illegal to carry in a VEHICLE LOADED without a Permit.

I can not find even one site that disagrees with that, I tried to.

So do you think you carry a gun unloaded while hunting? Hunting is listed right along with all the other legal activities which are exempted from RCW 9.41.050 so "it is reasonable to conclude that the person is participating in lawful outdoor activities or is traveling to or from a legitimate outdoor recreation area;" and therefore exempt, meaning they can carry loaded. That is unless you think it is illegal to have a unloaded gun anywhere, anytime unless the law says you can :s0112:

You may carry loaded either openly or concealed in or on any vehicle if you possess a CPL RCW 9.41.050. See RCW 9.41.060 for exceptions.

Understand? See the trump of xxx.050 by xxx.060??? See the words above which state, "You may carry loaded either openly or concealed in or on any vehicle if you possess a CPL RCW 9.41.050. See RCW 9.41.060 for exceptions.... Now go read those exceptions and they state 'camping'... they don't need to say 'loaded' as they've said it already in RCW 9.41.050. Get it???? :huh:

IMO once parked and you're "camping", it has become your abode and should be legal to have a loaded weapon..

I'm not a lawyer!

RV sites that I frequent. If you're moving, a Motor Home (MH) is a vehicle, when stopped in a campground and hooked up to utilities it's your legal home and you can carry concealed while inside it or have it loaded while inside. If you're stopped at a restaurant, rest area etc., it's a kind of gray area as the vehicle can still be easily moved.

I have both WA and OR concealed licenses. I carry almost 24/7 (even in my bathrobe pocket).

And the ONLY time in over 25 years of concealed carry that I've had to show I was armed was in the MH. I had the .45 on the floor board as the state I was going through did not recognize my permits. I now have a small. drop open safe on the floorboard that a .45 resides in while we move if I'm not in a state that recognizes my permits.

I've been RV'ing since 1957 and have never been questioned about guns while moving.

----------------------------------------------------------

The "Trade Rating" is low by 3
Not everyone posts it I guess.

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
WAC member
SWWAC member

I live in washington, i will be going camping in my van. My CPL doesn't come through before I go. In my house I have a right to a loaded gun, how about my "home" on wheels???

Thank You!!

Yeah, if you were to ask me personally, I would say any where any time you have the right to defend yourself. That is the right the American people have. There are too many gray issues to me too. Too many politicians I think. I do think you should be able to pack where ever you go and protect yourself without scrutiny.

I suggest going to and reading up on ALL the gun laws for Washington if you are going to carry a weapon. As it has been pointed out, if you are going camping RCW 9.41.060 allows you to carry a concealed weapon about your person AND loaded in a vehicle to AND from that location.

The same rules apply for Concealed as well as Open Carry.

RCW 9.41 covers Firearms and dangerous weapons
Chapter 9.41 RCW: Firearms and dangerous weapons

RCW 9.41.050 applies to concealed carry
RCW 9.41.060 exemptions to concealed carry
RCW 9.41.270 is the scary carry law (in a manner & at a time and place that warrants or causes alarm for others)
RCW 9.41.290 is state preemption (rules are the same across the state)
RCW 9.41.300 is the primary reg for off-limits areas

Check out this thread, its a document I wrote up that we hand out at the gun shows and makes carry laws much easier to understand:
Washington State Frequently Asked Questions About Open Carry

I suggest going to and reading up on ALL the gun laws for Washington if you are going to carry a weapon. As it has been pointed out, if you are going camping RCW 9.41.060 allows you to carry a concealed weapon about your person AND loaded in a vehicle to AND from that location.

The same rules apply for Concealed as well as Open Carry.

RCW 9.41 covers Firearms and dangerous weapons
Chapter 9.41 RCW: Firearms and dangerous weapons

RCW 9.41.050 applies to concealed carry
RCW 9.41.060 exemptions to concealed carry
RCW 9.41.270 is the scary carry law (in a manner & at a time and place that warrants or causes alarm for others)
RCW 9.41.290 is state preemption (rules are the same across the state)
RCW 9.41.300 is the primary reg for off-limits areas

Check out this thread, its a document I wrote up that we hand out at the gun shows and makes carry laws much easier to understand:
Washington State Frequently Asked Questions About Open Carry

So then when do you need a CCW? I can claim one of those exemptions almost every day.

You wouldn't need a CPL if you met the exemptions as they are written in RCW 9.41.060

FYI - Washington issues a Concealed Pistol License (CPL)

O.M.G
You knew what he was talking about right?

Can we just quit being so bubbleguming nit picky about CCW CWP CPL?
Nobody is impressed with your big knowledge of the difference.It isn't that important in this context.

Save that bubblegum for why it is a CPL instead of a CWP any more threads

Just stop
:s0054::s0054::s0054::s0054:

O.M.G

Nobody is impressed with your big knowledge of the difference.It isn't that important in this context.

Just stop

Get this: Washington used to issue CWP's then changed it to CPL's:s0112:

O.M.G

Just stop

"nitpicky" about calling a Concealed Pistol License a CPL. That's what it is in WA, it only covers carrying a concealed pistol, not even knives are covered by it. If it was a Concealed Weapons Permit it could cover knives, brass knuckles, etc.

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
WAC member
SWWAC member

"nitpicky" about calling a Concealed Pistol License a CPL. That's what it is in WA, it only covers carrying a concealed pistol, not even knives are covered by it. If it was a Concealed Weapons Permit it could cover knives, brass knuckles, etc.

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
WAC member
SWWAC member

Really? Wow! Had I not had BOTH for the last 20+ years,I would never have know that.
You is a brill ant Mo Fo.

And as I said it didn't really matter IN THIS CONTEXT.

Or did this thread change to a new topic?

Y'all are WAY too anal about insignificant little BS on this forum.
Kinda like this is all you know in the world,so you want to show everyone ALL YOU KNOW?

Just sayin':s0155::s0155:

My question was pertaining to the vehicle being a parked camper at a registered campsite where i would be spending the night. Would this be a different situation??? Thanks for your help. Want to stay out of trouble.

a vehicle iused as a camper or residence, no matter how primitive or temporary, qualifies as a "dwelling".... you're sleeping in it. Can't recall exactly, but I believe Washington is a "Castle Doctrine" state, which allows having and using, if necessary, protective weapons in one's "dwelling" (motor home included).

Drive to the camp with the arm unloaded, ammunition in separate container, and when you're there, camp set up, and vehicle turned into "dwelling", go ahead and load it, but keep it out of sight so no one looking in can see it. Lock the vehicle whenever you are not right there.

Good move, getting the Mother May I card..... that puts an end to a whole lot of potential "crimes" one would never even think of being crimes. You can ONLY use that thing if someone is actively breaking in to the occupied van, or has already done so.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top